355 reassembly | FerrariChat

355 reassembly

Discussion in '348/355' started by tashier, Feb 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I got the engine back from Sharpe Racing (enginefxr) and it looks great. Just taking inventory on what parts I have and what I need. A lot of the parts for this car are in the attic and being lazy and not wanting to push the car out and climb up I am trying to figure out what goes on the 3 ports just above the exhaust headers on each side. I am guessing I need gaskets for those. I have been searching Ricambi drawings but can't find it. Can anyone point me to it?

I received this car in pieces and didn't dissassemble it so it makes it even more challenging. I am sure I will have tons more questions putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

2. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    sounds like a fun project, if possible, please document it with plenty of photos

thanks!

3. MaterMech

MaterMech Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    #4 MaterMech, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    Love the engine pics almost better than the car pics. I recieved my car in pieces too and it makes it crazy at times but I know the car inside and out. Got to love projects like this. Is that a wing mount for a plane in the background?

4. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #5 enginefxr, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sean, I think you're talking about the oil return tubes. They have an o-ring on each end. #52
    I'm sure Daniel has them in stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #6 bcwawright, Feb 10, 2009
    Thats a 10-4..

BTW...from the pics this is a CH engine or atleast some of the CH mods have been done including suspension and cradle.

6. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #7 tashier, Feb 10, 2009
    That's correct. #52 is the part. They must be in a bag somewhere. I'm confused on what connects to the other end of that tube. I can see them on the pics above but not sure what's connected to them. (Edit: Nevermind, I think I see that they just go into the block) I'll have to get the o-rings.

Another question, upon cleaning up the face of the tranny to install the engine I noticed remnants of some sealer material. What type of sealer if any should be used on the face of the trans that mates with the engine?

7. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Those 90 degree pieces are the oil return tubes for the heads......one end attaches to the head and the other end goes into the block....the elbow requires 2 o-rings(both the same).

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Bruce you're so smart. I was just looking at the motor and not paying attention to springs and the red o-rings on the suspension, oil line, no a/c comp. etc.
    Come on tashier which car is that?

9. nunov

nunov Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Not an airplane but moves like one ;-) DP car.

10. nunov

nunov Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    #11 nunov, Feb 10, 2009
  11. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    please let's have more photos of the 355 engine stripped naked.....very educational

12. KDBTech

KDBTech Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    educational??? Its just pure p0rn! lol

13. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My car? 1996 F355 Spider

14. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Very very nice......

I have always wondered why the CH cars did not relocate the coolant sensors into the heat exchanger delete tube...this would give a true-er reading to the ecu for both cylinder banks.

15. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Last night I got the engine settled back on the engine mounts and mated to the transmission. Would anyone know if there is a torque sequence to the bolts/nuts attaching the trans?

16. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Love the engine stand....so funny that I'm building one for my engine...really. Going to ship it out soon and I'm going to copy yours...thanks..

17. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #19 tashier, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    Hey, that crate is patent pending!!!

18. nunov

nunov Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    #20 nunov, Feb 11, 2009
  19. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
  20. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #22 enginefxr, Feb 11, 2009
    Hijackers?

Tashier's patent will expire by the time you get yours built Bruce! :)

Here is Seans block naked! No sleeves

21. nunov

nunov Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Its hard to look past the two smiling angels. I have two of my own and know the feeling.

Car looks awesome. Let me know if you have any questions putting it back together as I have done it several times, I will do my best to help. How are you putting the engine back in without a lift? Did not see one so I am assuming its not around, and I am always impressed by the solutions people come up with

22. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thanks for the compliments, there's 2 more that aren't pictured. I will certainly keep you in mind as I know I will have lots of questions. I lifted the rear up in the air with a couple of floor jacks. When I put it back in I will most likely have to remove the rear bumper for clearance.

23. nunov

nunov Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Yes I always take the bumper off before doing the work, I found it makes it a whole lot easier. You truly are "the man" pulling this off with floor jacks, truly amazing. There is just a small amount of room to get things lined up so be sure to guide the hoses as you load it back in. I found spraying the back hoses with silicone makes things a whole lot easier, also dont forget the radiators hoses. Its a bear to line up if you dont spray them ahead of time. Also make sure you guide the long gearbox hoses as they will tend to bind on the way in.

Good luck. Have lots more pics if you need them.