355 reccommended engine oil | FerrariChat

355 reccommended engine oil

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bob Zambelli, Oct 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    What quantity and grade is proper for the 355?

Bob Z.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Factory recommends synthetic 5w-40. Takes 9 to 10 quarts. Filter is a Purflux #197654, and there is no cross reference, you must use the factory filter. If you want the factory oil, it is/was Shell Ultra Helix 5w-40. But it is $19 per quart/liter, and foams like crazy. Most people use Mobil 1 0w-40, or any other quality 5w-40 synthetic, like Redline, Amsoil, Valvoline, etc.

Ricambi America sells a nice oil change kit that includes the filter, the copper crush washers for the remote sump and oil pan, and new drain bolts for $45 or so.
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=261227&osCsid=t5qrpr6bana51t53lp8gmb8rv1

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    AGIP PC synthetic 5-40 was in my car when I bought it. I'm staying with it as the car has zero oil consumption.

Likely would be fine with another brand but it seems logical to stay with what's currently working well.

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I ran Mobil 1 0W-40 last year in the 355, and in my subjective opinion it was just fine. But in reality we have no way to tell if there was a teeny bit more or less wear over one year attributed to an oil grade. Also that was Mobil 1, which people have their opinions on. I've always loved it and thought it was great...until I did more reading about ZDDP...

So this change I went with Redline 10W-30 for more ZDDP and closer to factory recommendations for weight (I don't track it, but do see 8500 on occasion)

5. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm currently using Castrol R 10w-60, I had this put in at the last service, prior to that I had been using Shell Helix 5w-40 as per factory specs.

I prefer the 10w-60 as it holds better idle oil pressure in warmer conditions.

6. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am using Mobile 1 15w/50 (synthetic). It can be purchased at Walmart for under $50 for 10 quarts. I get the filter kit from Ricambi for under $50. So you can do your own oil change for $100. :) My 1995 355 Spider has 35k miles and runs better than when new.

7. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    I also use this in my '95 with 36k miles...:D

8. BlackonBlack

BlackonBlack Formula Junior

May 30, 2010
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I thought the Ultra Helix (SH) recommended for the F355 is no longer available.
    I could have sworn I read somewhere it is now marketed under the Quaker State
    trade name. Maybe someone here can chime in on this. As for my F355
    I tried the 0-20 Mobil after reading the article by AHaas. I noticed that my
    engine ran about 15 to 20 degrees cooler while maintaining the 35 psi at idle
    and above 75 psi around 6K. The ZDDP is also something that has been a
    thorn in my side since the Mobil I use is below par in terms of ZDDP. Ditto
    on Redline having the requisite ZDDP level. As on the side, I don't track my car and occasionally sees 8000 RPM specially when my son drives it.

97 F355 GTS w 12K miles in shop for 30K

Ed

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #9 f355spider, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    I used Mobil 1 15w-50 on my last oil change (March of this year) and it seems to be pretty high oil pressure from cold start. I of course warm fully before running higher revs, but I think this is probably too thick, and plan to go back to either Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol Syntec European Formula 0w-30 on my next change.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I believe FNA currently recommends Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 Euro. Anyone?

11. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Running Redline 15w50 and same thing - oil pressure a bit higher than I like. Engine seems to run hotter too. I will switch back to OEM next week during 30k service.

12. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was wondering if climate is a factor in selecting a viscosity? Here in Southern California, we just had record breaking heat of 113 degrees in Los Angeles. With an already hot engine and very hot outdoor temps does anyone know if a thicker oil would provide more protection?

13. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I use Castrol Syntec 5w40. I would stick with the factory recommended oil weight.

14. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    That what I was told and why it's in mine. We have about 45-60 day over 100 each year and 16 of those over 110..:eek:

15. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

My tech uses Lubro-Moly 5w40 in my 355.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you look at the oil temperature gauge you can answer this question for yourself.

It takes a 30dF temperature change at operating conditions for one grade of oil to be the next greater or lesser grade of oil--viscosity-wise. So, lets say your oil temp gauge reads 230dF and you are running a xxW-40 oil. An xxW-50 oil will have the same operating viscosity at 260dF, and a xxW-30 oil will have the same operating viscosity at 200dF. And the actual viscosities of all these oils will be about 12cSt at those given temperatures.

The answer is basically:: NO, the thermostats in the water and oil systems and the fans keep the oils rather constant in temperature over the seasons and thus, rather constant in viscosity. The thermostats prevent excessively LOW temperatures while the fans prevent excessively HIGH temps.

17. gcthree

gcthree Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2008
    Williamsburg, Va.
    The Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 is actually the Shell Helix product now here in the States and selling for just under $4 per quart at Pep Boys. I'm running it my '96 right now without issues.

18. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Shell owns Quaker State. If you call the phone number on the back of a bottle of Quaker State Q-power, someone at Shell answers the phone. I think that they probably own Pennzoil as well and all of this monkey business of going from Helix to Q-power to Ultra is just some marketing guys idea. You can''t even buy the Helix or the Q-power anymore. I would be surprised if you could get the Ultra in the recommended viscosity. Last I heard, the dealership was the only source for Ultra with the right viscosity and Ferrari logo.

19. richrfs

richrfs Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    Maryland
    Advance Auto Parts stocks Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40. At least in my area, Maryland. $9.19/qt

20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #20 m.stojanovic, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There has been a number of reports of damaged camshafts caused by the lowered ZDDP in modern oils for car engines. Luckily, this does not apply to motorcycle 4T oils and many still have a healthy level of ZDDP. Otherwise, there is no issue at all with using 4T oils in car engines (as advised by oil companies' experts). I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T as it has 1200-1300 ZDDP which is considered still good for flat tappets. They have another good option (car engine oil) - Mobil 1 15W-50 with same level of ZDDP (not available where I live).

I prefer to go with Mobil as they seem to be the only company to publish and regularly update info on ZDDP content in their oils (see the latest in attachment).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #21 taz355, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  22. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Using 300V Power Race 5W40 Motul in 355 and challenge car. Only oil Competizione & Sports Cars recommends.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That's good to know. I will be trying that next. What's the oil change oil interval looking like on the 300v ? I'vd heard on the street car, the 300v will be fine but more frequent changes. I'm ok with a change every 3-5k mi.

24. mosierjr

mosierjr Karting

Sep 29, 2009
    Texas USA
    Full Name:
    J.R.
    #24 mosierjr, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pennzoil Ultra has been replaced by this. At least in the U.S. It is still the only oil with factory recommendation by FNA. However, yes, there are many good oils out there as long as you get best quality, full synthetic, in a viscosity appropriate for your climate and intended vehicle use. the Motul 300V looks good, but their own factory sheet says its for short term use.

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^ We have that oil in stock at Ricambi America.

f355spider likes this.