355 Service and clutch cost | FerrariChat

355 Service and clutch cost

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rf355AU, Oct 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    Hi all,

I'm passing through Nashville in my 1995 F355 2.7 GTS, and I'm having car issues. It is going into the new Ferrari of Nashville dealership today to their service department.

The car is squealing very loudly (like, everyone in the neighborhood turns their heads to look) whenever I push the clutch in. When the clutch is out it also squeals, but not quite as loud. There is also now major slack in the clutch pedal (around 4 inches). I'm guessing it's a clutch bearing. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'd also like to know recent/current replacement costs for bearing and/or clutch from anyone who has had similar work done. Parts and labor etc.

While the car is in there, I'm thinking about getting the annual service done.
    I'm not talking about the major, engine-out service. Just fluids, filters, inspection etc. What do you guys pay for a similar service at your current mechanic?

Long story short, I just bought the car and it's only done 7,000 miles in the last 15 years. I've done 800 miles in a week :), because F355. Car seems to be running fine otherwise. It has been well maintained with all major and annual services having been carried out to schedule, despite the low miles. It was serviced in Feb this year.

To top it off, I got a rock through the front right glass fog light cover. The light is OK, but the glass is smashed. Replacement ideas please.

Appreciate your thoughts. This is all new to me. Oh the joy of Ferrari!

Photo is of my car 2 days ago. I walked out of the gas station to see my car surrounded by 2 Sherrif cars. I'd just come in off the motorway and had been traveling at speed. I thought it was all over. They just checked my registration and then walked inside. I calmly walked outside, got in and drove off. Note the number plate on the right-side Sherrif car: it says '355'. I couldn't believe it.

Cheers all.
    R.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tarek307 likes this.
  2. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That does sound like something to do with the clutch bearing but it might not actually be the the bearing itself. I've just had the same symptoms in my 348 and it turned out to be a broken diaphragm spring on the clutch.

Is there any fluid leaking out of the bottom of the clutch housing? If so your slave cylinder may be broken/leaking?

I think its one of those jobs that need a strip down to find the actual cause - thankfully though the 348/355 have one of the easiest cars as far as access to the clutch is concerned so hopefully labour shouldn't be an enormous amount - certainly a DIY job if so inclined.

One thing you might need in addition to the clutch is to have the flywheel either resurfaced or replaced (suggest aftermarket if replacing).

A few ideas on pricing

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/f355-b-gts-spider-mo-27/024-clutch-and-controls

A lot of people opt for the Hills Engineering bearing which is more robust (as have I)

https://www.hillengineering.co.uk/clutch-related

Rf355AU likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's probably the clutch pressure plate but it rubs up against the bearing so it might have taken out the bearing too. The proper repair is a new HE bearing, new clutch, pressure plate, and regreasing of the Kluber grease. From a Ferrari dealer, you will expect $8K - $10K especially if you threw in a fluid change for the car. Dealers might not put on anything other than stock bearing and you should somehow decline that.

ryalex, Targatime and Rf355AU like this.
  4. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    A lot of people are suggesting after market parts. Can someone please explain this to me?
    Why are they better than original Ferrari parts?
    Excuse the noob questions. Thanks.

5. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    A lot of the time you are paying for the name (you'll come across that a lot) and like any manufacturer everything was made to a budget. Especially with older cars other manufacturers such as Hills make parts to address specific weaknesses in the original design. For example as ell as the clutch cylinders Hills also make cambelt tensioner bearings which are not only cheaper but better quality.

Rf355AU likes this.
  6. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rf355AU likes this.
  7. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Certain Ferrari parts aren't very good quality and Hill Engineering has redesigned them using superior materials/designs. Often they're cheaper too. Clutch TOB is a great example.

8. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    Hi all. So Ferrari has told me it is indeed the throw-out bearing. Ferrari part number #177784.
    @Ricambi America has none of the Hill Engineering ones available on their website, but that is the one I want. It seems to have a better reputation than the original Ferrari part. Would you good people agree?
    I'm contacting Hill Engineering. Any ideas re: where else I can source one at short notice?

9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Too bad you are so far away. I have a brand new Throw out bearing and flange from Hill Engineering. That’s what I install when I do a clutch job. Really top quality.

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The flanges are on backorder from Hill Engineering. The bearings are available.

Of course "Ferrari" told you that you'd need the whole kit. A lot of times, F355 owners only need the release bearing because their cars are 'late enough' or 'already updated' to not require a new flange. Call me at Ricambi on Tuesday if you'd like to discuss.

Rf355AU likes this.
  11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    From experience, a major belt service and a fresh clutch from an independent will run about $10k all in.

Rf355AU likes this.
  12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Throw out bearing and flange are on route! Thanks Regan.

Rf355AU likes this.
  13. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    Thanks Elliott for the work on this. Appreciate you moving so fast on it for me. Life saver!

MAD828 likes this.
  14. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Make sure they are going to replace the various seals in there too - particularly the triple seals that are prone to leakage (item #16 on the diagram I linked to before). Parts costs of these are minimal and not much work involved - would be a shame not to take teh opportunity to replace them whilst they are in there.

Triple seals

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Various seal including Viton triple seals - part # 137249VITON and you need 3

https://www.superformance.co.uk/355/clutch.html

15. JoeEMI

JoeEMI Rookie

Oct 6, 2022
    Plano-Dallas
    Full Name:
    Joe Cho
    Really impressed with the community coming to help out a member in need!

308 GTB and Rf355AU like this.
  16. Rf355AU

Rf355AU Rookie

Mar 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Regan James
    348Jeff likes this.
  17. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name: