355 Soft Top Latch Issue | FerrariChat

355 Soft Top Latch Issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by alexpivo52, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Have a look at this excellent YouTube video, Alex (at the 32 minute mark)

Other than lubrication, it sounds like your frame is out of adjustment.

3. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thank you so much!!! The answer is lien on the minutes 38-39. I know the bracket mounts are adjustable against the chassy and played a little with it today on the troubled side but I didn't know you need to move it up and down and watch the hook to match into a position against the pin. I did notice today the upper bolt on the mount was loose though so my guess is the mount moved a bit because of such causing the mis-alignment.

• I did lubricate all the joints already and found it's making a "0"-difference in regards of the latch alignment.
    • The 3 x 7mm nuts on a side-string the guy is talking on the video about has nothing to do w/ the latch alignment. The string is for the back-side rubber seal to adjust it back-and forth and a little-up and down so the door glass closes up against it nicely making you and your passenger not to suffer from a heavy rain water leaks.
    I did have this issue both sides when I had bought the car 5 years ago and the dealership spent 1 day x 8hrs and they made it working perfectly. But, the bastards didn't say of how did they align the latches although I had asked.

Qavion likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This works 50% of the times.

You loosen the three bolts holding the roof mechanism to the body. Then stick a long large screw driver into the roof mechanism and lever it hard so that the roof move toward the front while you push the actuating button. If you are lucky, you will get the fork to latch up correctly. With that position, you tighten the three bolts.

That works 50% of the times. The other times? no idea.

Qavion likes this.
  5. alexpivo52

alexpivo52 Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland, US
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Working now. Once I twisted upward and pulled the bracket to the far up position, the latch going in place now.

No need sticking a long screwdriver to the LH side of the bracket where the thread is. I have the original long screw to put in, which is used for the soft top emergency closing. By sticking the screwdriver in that hole because of the force applied to it, it could be a risk of damaging the thread for the screw.

In my case I learned the adjustment screw on the LH bracket was also loose. That's the Ferrari of Washington dealership. For the quality of work like this they had charged me for 8hrs of labor at the time. AND they didn't want to say of how did they had made the adjustment.

WATSON and Qavion like this.