355 Spider headlight help | FerrariChat

355 Spider headlight help

Discussion in '348/355' started by redferrarispyder, Apr 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Hi everyone using the lights at night and the left hand pop up will not go back down...
    the globe and lights goes on and off but it wont retract back down and just stays up..
    any quick ideas?
    thanks

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Look up in the stickies. I posted a repair procedure awhile back. The contacts in the motor got fouled most likely.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Here's one of the threads on headlight problems. Not really a quick fix.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/355-headlamp-pod-going-strange.393013/

The wiring diagram shows a two position switch in each headlight assembly. I'm wondering if the switch is breaking contact at the end of the up cycle (as it should), but not transferring power to the other pole of the switch (to enable the down cycle).

It doesn't sound like a relay (otherwise the headlight wouldn't go up or the other headlight would be playing up, too). Note that the motor only goes in one direction. It doesn't reverse. The mechanism is responsible for producing an up/down cycle.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think Watson is describing the switch in this thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/141984822/

WATSON likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I forgot about DrBob's tutorial based on Watson's information ...

Not sure how to provide a link, but Google "DrBob101 Troubleshooting a f355 Headlight Motor" (it's a pdf file)

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    It is buried in the DIY thread in the stickies above. YOU have to scroll through that thread to see whats there as there isn't an index with links. However , here it is

Attached Files:

WATSON and Qavion like this.
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Plus people keep discussing other stuff on there and we have no way to delete it.

WATSON likes this.
  8. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Quick check:

A headlight failure to close means three possible problems.

1) no electrical to the motor.
    2) motor failure.
    3) movement mechanical failure

If one light goes up and down, we know electrical is not the issue since both gets fed from the same power source. In this case it’s down to the motor or mechanical. If there’s power to the motor and there’s no noise or movement from the motor, wack it a few times. If that does work, the motor is the problem. Headlight movement mechanism is the least likely to fail. Maybe need greasing. That’s my quick check suggestion.

9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have the same problem on my LH light.
    I’d just like to point out if it hasn’t already been mentioned that you can manually wind the lights up and down.
    Just be a bit careful as it can bite your fingers when it decided to spin fast on its own.

Until I get a new motor if I really have to drive at night this is what I’m doing and it works fine.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the headlight goes up, Steve, then it's probably just that metal disk in the motor gearbox which needs cleaning. Much cheaper than paying A$800 + for a new motor (Having said that, Eurospares seem to have a sale on right now. Motors going for A$534)

11. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Ian. The car is going in for some work tomorrow so I'll get them to quote on either fixing or replacing the light.
    If necessary I'll order one from Eurospares.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Steve a lot of people dont even look at how to fix them. It can likely be fixed. They make a rubber boot to go over the motor and sometimes these get left off. If you do a search at least you can tell the shop to remove it and have a look

13. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    thanks steve how do you manually lower it???

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Disconnect the battery and use the manual knob.

The motor only runs in one direction, but I assume you can turn the manual knob in either direction to lower the pod (?).

MAD828 likes this.
  15. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There is no need to disconnect the battery (although it’s probably not a bad idea). All I do is make sure the light switch is in the position I want the lights to be, and then pop the front trunk and wind the knob. It moves both ways and it’s soon obvious if you’re winding the wrong way.

Again - be careful! Try to keep your fingers on the knob for the minimum amount of time possible, because it will from time to time spin very fast on its own and if your fingers are in the way when it does that it hurts!

Re mine, the mechanic has said he is 90% certain it’s just the contact (as others have mentioned).
    I’m just working out if I‘ll buy one from Eurospares anyway if they are on special.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just had a play with my headlight pod knob.... The gearing is quite low (high turns for little movement). There is also a kind of null point at the up and down positions where the first few turns result in no (or very little) movement.

It doesn't matter which way you turn the knob, it will run through a complete up/down cycle.

When turning the battery back on, the pods may cycle (or move a few inches).

I assume if the gears themselves are broken, the manual lifter knob will reveal this.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You can pull the relay out if your worried about headlights making sudden movements and jamming up your fingers. No need to disconnect battery.

Qavion and Steve355F1 like this.
  18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Fair warning: Even from Ferrari dealer and warehouse, they get it wrong every time. You order a left motor, you get a right motor and vice versa. Even in the correct box.