355 Spider - seat problems again! | FerrariChat

355 Spider - seat problems again!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dem, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Hi guys,

I think the driver's side seat potentiometer in my 355 SPider (LHD) was playing up recently because the seat refused to move more than about half an inch when the roof button was depressed. So, the only way I could operate the roof was to flip forward the driver's seat back using the lever on the side. Spookily, the electric seat started working last week, when I visited the Ferrari factory while on holiday in Italy! Then a couple of days later, it stopped again, but more worryingly, the lever no longer flips the seat forward! It moves about 5 degrees but no more.

This 'total' failure seems to have happened while the seat was moving backwards during the roof folding sequence, but encountered one of my girlfriend's magazines, which got jammed between the back of the seat and the rear bulkhead. Using the handy Ferrari pliers, I managed to free the magazine (in several pieces). However, the seat would not move backwards or forwards using the normal button, nor would the lever on the side flip the seat back more than a few degrees.

Does anyone have any ideas if there is anyway I can at least get the seat 'flip' mechanism working again? Or will this need a complete tear down of the seat? Summer time, and no way to get the roof up and down is no good to anyone!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Dem.

PS: Other than that, no problems with the car covering 3,000 miles across France, various Swiss mountain passes and the North of Italy - I am really impressed!

2. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    We beat this subject to a pulp from your original post! :)
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21107&highlight=355+seat

3. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Looks like it was 'beaten to a pulp' whilst I was on holiday. I've looked through the thread, but it still doesn't explain why the mechanical lever to flip the seat forward isn't working.

Anyway, I think it's best left to the dealer now.

Cheers,

Dem.

4. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sometimes my flip lever is a little touchy also. Try pushing either foward or backward on the seatback while pushing down on the lever. This should relive some of the spring pressure and allow it to tilt foward.-MICHAEL

5. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Hi Michael!

Thanks for the tip - I'll try rocking in the seat a bit and giving the handle a good spank!

Cheers,

Dem.