355 Spider top problem figured out | FerrariChat

355 Spider top problem figured out

Discussion in '348/355' started by Cardigon, Jul 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cardigon

Cardigon Rookie

May 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I know there's been posts on here about this already, I just decided to add one more to help anyone who may be searching to have one more response come up. I went to put my top down and it got stuck half way. I used the emergency button and it went down another quarter of the way and then got stuck between fully open and half way open so about 3/4 of the way it was stuck. The seats didn't seem to be moving far enough forward so I got on here and read about potentiometers. I also read about hydraulic oil in the reservoir. I tackled the reservoir first and it needed oil so I added it hoping it would fix the problem. Well it didn't. After reading and searching on here I finally figured it out. The center cross support bar on the top just needed a little help manually at the initial manual start.
    So when I pushed the top back I gave that bar just a little shove upward and the automatic motor took care of the rest. From reading on here I guess the elastic bands that are responsible for helping that center bar retract wear out and don't pull it up and back like they should. As a result the seats think they are up far enough when really they are not.

2. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    On each side of the header rail underneath were the roof bands meet the rail. There are to small springs that aid the roofs movement both back and forward. Check that they are still attached. I have seen them snap on alot of spider, mine included. Once replaced the roof mechanism is great again. If you cant find them little hard to locate suckers let me know and i shall post a picture.

3. Supracat

Supracat Rookie

Jun 24, 2005
    Falkirk, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Doug Moodie
    hi mate,

would you mind posting a pic of these springs - i've recently had a roof problem and and am wondering if its a spring issue?? - when using roof recently i heard a distinct 'twanging' type noise form the nearside mid/rear of the roof - just like a spring type noise.
    since then ive had problems with roof and seats not mmoving etc....

Cheers

4. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #4 Loser, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have recently repaired my spider top and thought I would post the resolution here for everyone's information. My issue was that the pin on the primary piston was retracting before the bar that was supposed to mate to it would arrive. See picture. The bar would end up under the pin instead of joining with it. It turns out that one of the crossbars that holds up the main part of the top was bent. I straightened it out a bit by pushing up from underneath and now the pin lines up every time. You can see the bend in the attached pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and SoCal1 like this.
  5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    This could be extremely helpful, my spider has exactly this issue with the hooked bar not hitting the pin on the primary piston !

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wow. From the way back machine. Nice sleuth work.

Like you, my pin alignment does not always work as it should,. It misses by just a hair and not every time.

I figured it was something bent as a result of someone driving the top down over the top bow that got stuck due to the elastic bands expiring. This appears to confirm that.

The plan is to go over the details associated with that pin misalignment in the next couple of weeks. This helps a ton.

Appreciate your bump here.

7. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

Could you post a pic of these and their location? I can't tell from your description where these are.

8. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Uhm. Hate to tell you this, but Mr. Tactical has not logged onto F-chat since Nov 5th, 2008.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a response ;)

9. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    LOL. I didn't notice the date of his post.

WATSON likes this.
  10. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

Watson, do you know what he was talking about? I didn't know there were springs anywhere, just the elastic straps.

11. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Not sure he meant "springs"

I think springs = elastic bands.

If there are springs on this top, I am unaware of them.