355 Subframe / Engine Stand / Caster Plates - Free Drawings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Subframe / Engine Stand / Caster Plates - Free Drawings

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Apr 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    I am interested...

2. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The only recommendation that I would make would be to separate the top cradle nest from the lower support structure (or some other design approach) to incorporate mini bottle jacks to allow for articulation of the cradle for supporting precise and even engagement when removing the engine, and for fine tuning alignment without unnecessary and damaging stress on the rear bodywork when re-installing. The center of gravity shifts when the drivetrain is removed, and thus alignments change, necessitating a way to compensate.

I did it for my own, it was easy, and it proved absolutely invaluable to the servicing process.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    All you need to do is put a floor jack under the frame if needed to tweak a corner for alignment.

4. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You really need F/R and L/R.

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #30 Dave rocks, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Use 2 floor jacks :)

When I took my cradle out, nothing moved at all when freeing the last couple bolts. Obviously I got luck but as I said, simple to just use floor jack(s) if needed. The factory stand is pretty much the same way.

It most certainly has them :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Interested in both items.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    OK guys, I think we will do a run of 5 each. I'm too busy to do the welding so I'll need to reach out to my cousin and see if he is available. Unless Jim INTMD8 has nothing to do :)

8. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Agree to disagree, I suppose. Two floor jacks isn't really the best way to gain any kind of precise alignment... especially so with swivel casters working against you. Your design, and choice to make. I understand the desire to keep it as simple as possible, though.

9. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.

Dave do you have a price and rough timing? No big rush on my side...thanks.

10. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Keeping it simple should keep the price reasonable. It can always be modified later, in many ways, if people want to go that route. If it gets too complicated and precise it may not sell.

For those concerned with the space it takes up or being able to break it down, I think with some ingenuity this can be used as a tool cart or something like that for day-to-day garage use (or even elsewhere) until needed once every 3 or 5 years.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Matt, as a machine designer of many years, I could certainly make this more complicated but it's not needed. I did this for my own needs and it has worked perfectly. If someone has bad concrete, jacking up each corner and sliding shims under the wheels is very easy, especially for the 5 year major.

No need to add cost where not needed.

Guys, IIRC, the materials and powercoat was $400 ish. No labor in that. So probably around $800-$1000 each. What I will do is order material for 5, build and track cost then look to offer for a fair price.

For timing, probably 2-3 months as we will make the parts as shop filler.

Thanks, Guys. :)

12. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Of course, and as an engineer with quite a bit of experience in the design and manufacturing realms, I understand the balance. Certainly more than one way to resolve the problem with pluses and minuses each way. For me personally, I chose to take that extra complicating step with the fixturing in order to make the process as pain free and straightforward as possible. That's where I placed value, and it certainly provided a ton of value on a typically tricky and delicate process. I also like those side projects of designing and creating almost as much as the main project at hand.

At any rate, best of luck. Your kit will certainly be a great piece to have for many on here.

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Matt, it's all fun. When it comes to commercialization, the masses are frugal. I'm not expecting many to jump aboard at the $800 price point let alone higher.

Our $20 wheel mounting tools are a great value and we have sold hundreds yet some prefer to cut the heads off bolts and claim an equivalent solution.

IIRC, your cradle was made from wood and very nice. Most won't even do that.

I've been an engineer and hands on designer for 26 + years. I know how to apply practical sense to designs.

I love this place but it's kinda funny....I'm still awaiting criticism from the powder coat color.

Anyone is most certainly welcome to design and post their free drawings - I promise I won't object :)

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    These are great required items if you are a shop and need to move cars around due to limited lift space. But 99% of the diy guys here work on 1 car at a time and probably 95% don't have a lift. For over 30 years all I have used are well constructed laminated 2x6 blocks of wood that have a minimal footprint in my garage. The car is lifted off the motor sitting on wood block with no wheels. I do the motor service and drop the body right back down on the motor with almost no need to widget the subframe holes to the body holes to replace the bolts. One of the most prolific 348 fixers in the southBay never used a lift and did the reiner method with a Harbor Freight wooden dolly! The bottom line is think about how you really work and try to keep your lives simple.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #40 Dave rocks, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carl, I've seen many guys on Fchat get creative with carts, dollies and 2 jacks to perform engine out services. For me, I like to work smart and not hard :) The money I save in labor doing my own work easily pays for pro tools and given I own a shop and can build this stuff, it's a slam dunk for me.

Personally, if I did not have a lift or proper tools, my cars would go to a pro. I'm not a big fan of the A-team approach. I like to do stuff right and do it safely too.

My 95 Berlinetta is pretty much a ground up restoration and I knew it would take time. So, I need my lift for other cars and it's nice to be able to move the car around.

It's equally nice to work on the motor at a comfortable height and not lay on the floor or work on my knees ;)

The ability to safely move the engine and sub frame around is handy too. I plan to be a 355 owner for a long time so these tools are investments that will be used over and over :)

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Haha :D On something like this I would just be lazy and bust out the mig welder.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Once you have prime rib there is no going back to ground chuck :D

18. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I wouldn't have any other color on the engine cradle or the caster brackets. Looks like FLY and that's perfect :) Also great from a contrast/safety viewpoint.

19. Onash

Onash Rookie

Jun 7, 2012
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Thanks for the downloads. While I'm still a year out on the service, this could be a good way to learn how to weld. LOL. Yellow is a great color.

20. ThomasK

ThomasK Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Dave rocks likes this.