355 top down for Tonneau | FerrariChat

355 top down for Tonneau

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
  2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Looks correct

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    The plastic window on a 355 spider is a pain in the ass.
    That snap with Velcro is another pain.
    My window is scratched up from trying to push it out of the way and attach that Velcro fastener in the middle.

4. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    In many years of 355 ownership I have never noticed any snap with velcro. I’m going to have to look for this. I just put the to down, snap on the cover and go. Am I missing a step?

5. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Well mine is in the shop at the moment, so can’t take a picture.
    The roof has a Snap at the bottom center of the rear window, underneath the plastic window.
    The cover has a Velcro strip.
    I have a black probably 3” X 1.5” wide Velcro strip with a snap on one side.
    I snap the 3” wide Velcro strip onto the snap below the window.
    Then I play bloody hell trying to get the two Velcro strips to attach to each other.

Does your tonneau cover just have a snap that snaps to the car ?

6. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

Late model OEM is a black male snap on the top below the center of the window (earlier models don't have this snap). With it being black and a small snap, its hardly visible. The remaining Tenax fasteners are all male, chrome. The late model OEM cover has a concealed 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" leather strip sewn into the underside of the bottom center of the cover with a black female snap in its center (again, earlier ones did not have this). The remaining Tenax fasteners are all female, chrome. When the boot is on, the 2 snaps align and are easily snapped together (at least mine do). There is no Velcro.

FYI, the late model boots also have 4 tenax fasteners in the car behind the seats symmetrically placed with one each in the leather wrapped covers behind each seat. The earlier ones had only 3, the center one in the top of the leather cover over the top hydraulics. The outboard ones are the same for both older and newer models, they are in the carpet near the door sills.

I'm told the 4th Tenax inside and rear snap were added by Ferrari so the cover was less likely to lift and "flap" at high speeds. Not sure what year this changed.

Qavion likes this.
  7. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Tenax are chrome for tan tops, Black for black tops...

My ‘97 has no Velcro- I believe sometimes there were slight mods done by dealers- for instance, I have a tenax snap right on the housing for the small lockable storage box between the seats. While it looks completely stock, I think I read on fchat years ago that many dealers added that due to wind flapping at that point.

By the way, the oem tenax snaps are available- if you do a search on fchat you can find the source- both chrome and black. A couple of female snaps were broken on my car and I changed them all- pretty easy and cheap.

Clyde your window looks the same as mine- I think it’s fine. That being said, the boot on these cars is a pain- the last snap in particular (doesn’t matter which is the last snap :) ). The boot installation of my former ‘93 911 cabriolet was much easier to install, but then again it didn’t sound like the 355 at 8,500 rpm I guess there are some trade offs- ha!

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wow. I have the center snap base. But nothing else like you describe.

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    PLEASE .......
    Can someone with just the snap take a picture or two ?
    I am going to most likely change/modify mine when I get the car back.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I have one that I got from Ricambi. I never use it. I'll take a pic when I get home

Enzojr and WATSON like this.
  11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    you can see in my 1st & 3rd pictures a snap. I never had a Velcro snap for the back cover. I presume the previous owner lost it.
    and as for the flapping, I find if I run the seats back to the firewall, it stops. It helps being tall and I like the seats all the way back :)

12. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have that snap base.
    I have nothing on my tonneau to attach to it though,.
    Velcro? Nothing

Nice teddy bear you keep in your car....that your co-pilot? :)

13. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I have that same snap.
    That is where I snap the piece of crap Velcro (3”X1.5”) flap to.
    My cover has a matching piece of Velcro.
    When I get my car back, the Velcro is getting tossed and putting a snap on my cover.
    My plastic window is scratched from constantly trying to get the two pieces of Velcro aligned.

WATSON likes this.
  14. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Yep. That's Phil Hill.

WATSON likes this.