355 values - I just don't get it | FerrariChat

355 values - I just don't get it

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Those who know me know that I don't talk values up or down - I always speak my perception of the true, current market.

That said, in the last 5 years, 355's saw a peek last year (15-18 months ago). Sure, at that time 355's where not alone. All of the non blue chip or modern Ferrari's (such as 550's etc) where at an all time high then.

But, what I don't understand is the seemingly low appreciation of 355's. While I've never driver a Testarossa (I'm not talking 512 TR), I'm told they are rather boring to drive. That said, how are most TR's still selling above $100K and more than a 355? I think the TR is a cool car but I would never, ever trade one of my 355's for a TR.

Maybe I'm biased but I feel the 355 is a very under rated Ferrari in terms of value appreciation.

2. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    I would say the same for a 348. Don’t forget, Ferrari no longer makes a mid engine 12, but they do have plenty of 8.

3. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    12 cylinders
    Miami Vice
    Bedroom posters
    More mature (meaning older and wealthier) buyers

Azikosha, RWP137, LI2782 and 5 others like this.
  4. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    While I've never driven a TR, I've been for a couple of spirited rides in them, and it's always been an event. Couple that with the whole icon thing, I think that has a lot to do with perceived value. Sucks that I was still married back when a good TR could be had relative cheaply, I may well have been tempted...

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I recall TR's going for 60's about 10 years ago.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    355s shld be at 200k i totally agree. Way more fun than my 94 512tr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robb, Yassa and Dave rocks like this.
  7. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    12cylinder is the key to that value. 355’s will go up. They definitely will, but it will be at the 30 year mark when they can go back to Europe without tariffs. The 355 is aging pretty well as far reliability and quality. Way nicer than my 348, 308, 328.....

Maybe the 355 is the next Dino

mclaudio, Robb, WATSON and 1 other person like this.
  8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The 12 cylinders is the reason.

The 355 has some serious upside. The looks. The sound. The size.

But that will take time.

Let's all remember, we are our own worst enemy. Bitching about repair costs on a public forum does little to enhance value ;)

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not even as a Ferrari but just as a car, an absolute steal.

What Porsche is comparable? A 10k mile narrow body 993 C2 would probably sell for much more than the same year same mile F355.

Mind you it's a great car but it's also 272/285hp, wonky trans gearing and if lucky you might get a limited slip diff.

F355 with individual throttle bodies and high rpm 375hp really is a race engine and they all have LSD with perfect trans gearing.

What's comparable in the 993 world? Write a half million dollar check for a comparable 993 RSR (ok probably a better comparison to a challenge car overall) and who is going to lose sleep over the worst F355 maintenance bill.

So many times I'm about to pull the trigger on a 993 C2S and then I think, how is this car worth more than an F355? It's not, which is why I don't have one.

You could also say it's comparable in performance to a 993tt. True, but 993tt values are still way more than F355 values and a completely different driving experience of awd and high torque/moderate rpm.

If it remains undervalued for the remainder of my lifetime it will make no difference to me but I'm glad I was able to buy my car when I did.

HKS479, mclaudio, Robb and 3 others like this.
  10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You don't hear me bitching. Quite the opposite;)

Marcello360 likes this.
  11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Why 355 only though? I say the 348 is in the same boat.

No power steering, better dash imho, original Fioravanti design, the size, great steering wheel, no power steering, no power steering, no power steering. :)

Formula1r, davidoloan, Ga68_ and 2 others like this.
  12. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    12 cylinder F-cars will always be more valuable than most of the Ferrari V8s especially front engine V12 GT cars. Having said that, the F355 is definitely undervalued in my opinion.

The F355 is one of the most attractive cars Ferrari has ever made, and is the last analog mid-engine Ferrari (minus the power steering) before they got bulkier, heavier, and less raw. The Spider is the second most beautiful convertible that Ferrari has ever made second only to the Daytona Spider in my opinion.

It's the best-sounding Ferrari, and what amounts to a gorgeous, fast, F1-sounding go-cart with lots of smiles per mile.

I grew up with the 308 and the boxer and always wanted both, but when the F355 came out at the same time I was getting out of college, it was instantly the Ferrari I had to have someday. I had wanted a 355 from when they were new and shouldn't have waited so long to buy them.

I think we (F355 owners) aren't helping considering F-chat is public and searchable going back years where we complain about repair and maintenance costs and tear apart and nit-pick every car that becomes available for sale anywhere on earth. If a 355 has ever been breathed on wrong, has had more than one owner, has more than 2,000 miles on it, and/or hasn't had a major in 12 days it's not worth more than $10k and anyone on here that considers buying it is an idiot. Yes, I'm exaggerating but not really that much. I probably waited two years longer to buy a 355 than I should have mostly due to what I read on F-chat. Eventually, I found the right car that ticked all the boxes for me at the right price and convinced myself that with 30 years of wrench-turning on cars as a hobbyist on a lot of different cars new and old that I'd be ok owning what I thought would be the largest money pit/most expensive car in the world to repair and maintain based on what had been written on F-chat. Three years and 4,000 miles later with a lot of minor repairs, fixing electrical gremlins, fixing HVAC gremlins, a major, valves, guides, seats, seals, and a lot of 'while you're in there' work during the major all under my belt without spending a dollar on labor from a shop, F355 ownership is much less daunting than I expected. It's been amazing to drive, own, and work on. Some of the most rewarding and enjoyable work I have ever done on any car has been on this car.

If we as a community continue to rip our favorite car to shreds in a public forum, they will never be solid six figure cars. The Dino was the red-headed step child for decades until one day the light went on and everyone miraculously realized what it was.

I don't post much, but this is a topic I have some strong feelings on. Rant over. Thanks for reading.

13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ^^^^^Well said above. DITTO!

14. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well... How about that. I distinctly remember reading these threads with a certain impure thought about the F355's trajectory of valuation. But now that I have my car I am all aboard the price-gain-train. Choo choo! Regretfully, I couldn't sell it for any price.

15. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete

Production numbers. They're lower production, and hence perceived as more valuable. It has nothing to do with the character of the car, as I think we both know which car wins that one.

Lest you think I'm biased, I still have the Testarossa poster I had when I was a kid (it's now on my son's wall in his room), and back when I got my 355, I looked at a couple of Testarossas that were the same price. But, I couldn't bring myself to buy a slower, worse looking (subjective, but keep in mind the TR was my favorite car as a kid) car for the same money. I also was very close to buying a 512TR that popped up for sale while I was looking but it didn't end up panning out. I knew at the time a TR or 512TR was a better investment, and being the TR was my childhood dream car it was a real consideration. However, I made the correct choice. 20 years from now things will be different imo, but honestly, who cares? It's good for us that 355's are cheaper as they're cheaper to run and can be enjoyed for less investment. If you buy it for investment you buy it for the wrong reasons, imo.

Chupacabra likes this.
  16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    From the outside looking in, the 355 is a scary proposition. I personally know two folks who had to pay 20K plus for valve guides. Engine-out belt changes are more expensive than either the 328 or 360 on either side, which can be done with the engine in. Styling is beautiful, but isn't part of the "modern" look that started with the 360 and really continues to today. A 355 in a line of 458s look dated, but a 360 can pass.

So most people who are looking for a "starter" Ferrari are probably looking at the 360, and those who like classic styling are looking at 328s and older. The 355 and especially the 348 drop into a value hole between the two families

17. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    People are absolutely TERRIFIED about the expense of an engine out service....that is what holds the 348/355 values back. I will keep my 348 forever because I love it. But every day, a Ferrari is lost to collision, theft, fire, etc....dont worry these cars will only go up.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Same thing held down the flat 12 cars for years and years. Now the Boxers are up there and the TR not far behind. Goes to show you never know.

Meanwhile, drive em while you can.

Yassa likes this.
  19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Two reasons from my point of view 12 cylinder and lower production numbers.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I do not recall 12 cylindrs consistently being lower that 100 k in north america

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just to answer the question of which Porsche is on par with a 355, I'd say a Caymen GTS or GT4, performance and price wise. But when you look at Ferrari prices, what non V12s have achieved real collector status? It's pretty much limited to the 288GTO and F40 and the 246 Dino and maybe the glass 308. Even with the Testarossa the only one of real collector status seems to be the 512M. You would think something like my US 85 308 GTB QV would have some collector value as it's the last of the model and only 29 GTBs were produced for NA delivery in 85. But it's never really gotten past the $100k mark. It got close twice, once back in '89 when Enzo died, and a couple of years ago.

But aside form all the comments about production, V8s and such, the real issue is that none of these modern Ferraris will appreciate much in the near future (like 20 years or so). And what ever appreciation they do achieve will more than likely be significantly less that a good financial investment. But most of all simply because among true collectors, there is a sufficient supply of desirable cars that periodically exchange hands. Collectors die from time to time and their holding move to others. And Ferrari periodically releases a "special" car with price and limited production that attracts those collectors. There is just no glamor associated with these lesser car like there is with the cars of the 50, 60, and 70, and the association with F1,the jet set and money. Being a Ferrari just isn't enough.

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    400, 412, 456..

sjmst, Azikosha and G. Pepper like this.
  23. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    There's your answer. A 355 in a line of 458s. From where i sit there a 496 rhd bs on the planet. If you are lucky enough to own one cherish it. And this comes from a 911 turbo lover and owner.

24. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Exactly. I think there is more awareness of a TR than a F355 and add the V12. I like the TR, but prefer the 512TR. I think the F355 is nicer looking but the 512TR is pretty nice as well. It is my second favorite garden variety Ferrari behind the F355.

25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree with just about everything, except the 993TT performance is better, not to mention the build quality and maintenance which are better and less expensive.

I do think that these cars are under valued and will appreciate or should appreciate in the future.