355 wheel alignment | FerrariChat

355 wheel alignment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sherpa23, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Does anyone have the wheel alignment specs for a 355 berlinetta? Thanks in advance.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Front:
    Ride height: 163mm
    Corner weight: 725 to 745 pounds
    Camber: -0.5 to -0.8
    Caster: 7 degrees +/- 0.5
    Toe: 2mm In (each side)

Rear:
    Ride Height: 187mm
    Corner weight: 940 to 960 pounds
    Camber: -1.8 to -2.0
    Toe: 2mm In (each side)

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Mitch

I've always valued and respected your input on this board. Got a quick question for you if you come back to this thread.

A very well respected mechanic down here mentioned he wanted to change my alignment to a near zero (vs negative)... said tires would wear better and car would handle better.

I'm thinking who knows best than the factory, right?

Any comments about his idea...or send me a PM.

Frank

4. Villaconn

Villaconn Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    Horsham, PA
    Full Name:
    Ricky Marrero
    Greetings:

That's great information. I was trying to find that out myself. I will be putting the car up on the scales (as soon as I get them out of the storage trl) and was going to verift alignment. Just wondering. what is the reference point for measuring ride heigth. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Ricky

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    By deCambering the tires you will loose cornering grip (not much but noticible) and the car will respond more slowly. This can help if you don't like how fast the car reacts while on the road.

As to longer wear, yes, this is true but only if you are not using the limits of the handling envelope. I have found that factory specs on the F355 are perfect for high performance track driving, and calm enough for long distance road driving. Any more camber and the car becomes nervous on the road; any less camber and the responsiveness is degraded.

How much wear are you currently getting?
    Are you looking to calm the car down?
    Are you looking to desensitize the car from external disturbances (wind gusts)?

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ride height measurements are made from the flat and level ground to the center of the pivot bolt (through the bushing) on the lower a-ram at the back pivot bolt with the tires at operating pressure (not sitting in the garage pressure).

7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Thanks Mitch -

Alignment is fine....just put on a new set of tires with 24K on the clock. I'm happy with handling, etc etc and she steers straight hands off the wheel.

He wanted me to come back in with the car for the zero alignment...it's his suggestion (tire wear was normal) and I think he just look for some revenue..

Thanks for the reply.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, Mitch!!!!

9. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    My 348 has a bit of negative camber, and is visable, so your saying this is a correct set up from factory?

10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Yes - 348/355 are slighlty negative....

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The fronts are only visibly negative if you look carefully. The rears are cambered enough that even a casual glance will see the negativity.