[360/430] Hard tonneau scratched during top actuation! Fix? | FerrariChat

[360/430] Hard tonneau scratched during top actuation! Fix?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Alpintourer, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #1 Alpintourer, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am developing surface scratches on my hard tonneau as the result of the soft top going up and down. I see some interference for one (in the first pix the white gouge) but I can't figure out why the others are happening. In the second pix there are matching scratches either side. There is some asymmetry in how the tonneau sits when the top is down.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Is there an adjustment I might attempt? The top assembly has been worked on before for a capote flap replacement but I don't think the whole assembly has ever been removed from the car.

I have access to a Leonardo but I think this is a physical adjustment of the whole tonneau vs. adjusting an individual ram.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #2 Alpintourer, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Same thing happened to me twice. Actuating mechanism needed adjustment by a fraction of an inch. I took the painted cover off and had the ~ 1/4" gouge repainted.

4. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Sorry I didn't fully answer your question. I had my Indy shop adjust the top the second time. 1st time one of the 'prongs' that guide the hard top was bent and missing the female as the top closed. It was a simple fix... just bent the prong back until it (male) made it with the female. The female is more of a channel as opposed to an tubular orifice.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My cover is getting scratched a couple of inches back from yours (toward the rear of the car). I filed the offending part down, but that oddly only translated into scratches about 1.5 inches nearer the toward the front. If I could find a way to afix some felt to the metal offending part, I would be all set. Is there an adhesive that would bind felt to metal?

6. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Gorilla glue would do it but I’m not convinced that is the way to go. The tape will eventually wear and you’ll scratch again. I’m pretty sure the top is misaligned, and the source of the problem could be the elastics are worn, or maybe even the hydraulic mechanism is worn on one side and not on the other side. There are quite a few issues that could cause this. Have you checked the fiberglass lid is square on the car?

lkstaack likes this.
  7. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, these German-made hydraulic tops can be adjusted, by design or otherwise, and worn parts can be rebuilt or replaced. The trick of course is figuring it out. I've got the capote WSM, but I feel like a chimpanzee studying an abacus when reading it. I'm certain that Spider owning DIYers can help each other out if we share nuggets of information like this.

delany pointed out that some problems may be the result of misaligned parts caused by worn elastic straps. Replacing them will be my first order of business as I attempt to diagnose my capote's reluctance to fully retract without assistance. I'll by following EastMephis' tutorial in a month or two: https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/09/capote-elastic-bands-and-more.html