360 AC Problem, High Low Side & Low High Side | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 AC Problem, High Low Side & Low High Side

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheRealFlyingBear, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sounds good ..I reread your post and you said the low pressure gauge is good .. sorry I misread it earlier

Just for kicks ..when you do your test tomorrow with fans try it again with high pressure gauge while running

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #27 flash32, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    So I confirmed .. the 360 uses the Delphi mechanical displacement variable compressor ..

So once the clutch is engaged ..it will run continuously.. no on or off .. that is controlled internally by pressure .. the higher the low side pressure the more aggressive the internal pistons pump .. once pressure is low the pistons hardly move

Look up Delphi variable compressor .. the number for your car is 6581290

If the pressures you mentioned earlier and in spreadsheet are accurate then I am going back to my original post of a weak compressor

Either way it is fairly cheap to evacuate and refill and see what happens ..that would pretty much leave a week compressor not pulling as hard / pumping as hard as it should ..

3. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken

Thanks for looking that up, good to know that it's normal for the clutch to remain engaged the entire time.

I really hope a simple evac and refill will remedy the AC. I'm also going to replace the dehydration filter and pressure switch since they're easy to get to and not super expensive.

I found a mobile AC guy who will do evac and refill for only $100 in the Bay Area. Awesome deal. He'll even evac, leave, and come back another day after I've finished installing new parts. Before I install new parts, I'm going to do a vacuum test to see if I have leaks anywhere.

flash32 likes this.
  4. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ran some more tests today. Pressures at 2k RPM were a bit higher on the high side and a bit lower on the low side. I decided to test the theory that the system is low on refrigerant and added 90g to the system in increments of 30g. I noticed the high pressure slowly increased and a slight increase in the low pressure. Strangely, the low pressure went back down at the end of the testing, so I'm not sure if the low pressure actually changed.

I do wonder how much of the variation in these readings is due to the ambient temp changing. While I was doing these tests, the temp in my garage went from 80F to 90F. Guess that's what happens when you run a car for an hour+.

For those of you who might be concerned that I overfilled the system, don't worry. It's getting emptied next week and I'll do a proper refill to 750g. This was really just a test to see if it was low. Based on the high side pressure climbing after adding more refrigerant, I think it may indeed have been low.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

flash32 likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #30 flash32, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Just a fyi .. I thought I had mentioned it here but looks like I mentioned in another thread ..with variable compressors and expansion valve ... looking at low side is not a good way to see if low .. you either have to use a sub cool calculation or evacuate and refill with exact weight .. what you did is a good test ..actually just recommended to on the other thread for a 458 .good job

In the end if you are low ..probably have a small leak..

6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    While it is old school to look at pressures it really doesn't tell you what the problem is or the condition of the 134a freon. The best place to start before you replace any parts is to:

1) evacuate the 134 from the system
    2) vacuum it for 20 minutes and monitor the vacuum with a micro vacuum gauge for another 15 minutes with the pump off.
    3) if it holds vacuum, then weigh in the correct charge.....pressures are irrelevant when you weigh in the charge.
    4) then test the system and measure the pressures for comparison.

Anything else and you are starting in the middle and trying to guess what might be wrong. This same technique is the way any modern system (automotive, residential or commercial) should be charged.

Just so you know....I have HVAC licenses for Automotive, Residential and Commercial.

I know it is more expensive than simply adding 134 but if you like learning and you can afford a few tools.....they will pay for themselves. Plenty of online videos can show you how to use the tools. Also, in many places you can rent the equipment before making a major investment. At a minimum you need a set of gauges (which you already have), a recovery pump, a recovery container (to only be used for your 134), a refrigerant scale and a micro vacuum gauge.

flash32 and TheRealFlyingBear like this.
  7. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken

I was considering a Robinair R3. Do you think this is a good beginner recovery system? It gets great reviews for small AC systems like cars.

8. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Went for a drive today and noticed my AC felt colder than before. 90g isn't a lot, but I wonder if it actually made a difference in vent temperature. Anyway, new parts are arriving soon so I'll be filling with the proper spec'd 750g soon and also checking for leaks via vacuum test.

flash32 likes this.
  9. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    The R3 is a great unit.

10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    One characteristic of 134 or 410 is that an overcharge is just as bad as an undercharge when it comes to vent temperature. The way the gas compresses and expands becomes less effective in either condition. BMW systems are really sensitive. 10 oz one way or another and the vent temp is warmer.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    @INRange

Thank you for your input and responses

I have a few questions that may come up later

Since the compressor was replaced and it is unknown if oil was calculated correctly .. any concerns suggestions there

Regarding oil ..how would oil be calculated when using the rg3 since I don't believe it separates refrigerant from oil ..should the process be run compressor for while before evac and then only evac from low side

Any insight would be great

12. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

No concerns about the oil in the replaced compressor. If it was rebuilt or new it was filled with PAG oil (Polyalkylene glycol, or PAG, a fully synthetic hygroscopic oil made for automotive compressor components). If it wasn't the compressor would have locked up long ago.

Once upon a time, mechanics used to vent freon to atmosphere at an uncontrolled rate which caused the oil to vaporize as the freon escaped. Recovery machines are closed loop and evacuate the system slowly to ensure that the oil stays in the compressor.

I'm pretty sure you would have to take the compressor out of the car to drain and fill it. Overfilling it creates a new set of problems.

No need to run the compressor before evacuating it. I believe there is also a small dryer attachment you can get for the RB3 which will trap moisture, debris and any oil. I rarely find any oil in a dryer attachment.

flash32 likes this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #38 flash32, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Thanks so much

Any concerns that it is already too much oil in there .. improper replacement done ? If so any symptoms that would indicate overfilled of oil

Also I assume by your answer to evacuate from low side so that liquid (with oil in it) would not be a issue

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Not really unless someone put oil in there (via a service port) since it was installed. If that happened.....the only way to resolve it is to disassemble the system.

Just follow these instructions:

https://www.robinair.com/sites/default/files/570805.pdf

flash32 likes this.
  15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you JD for your knowledgeable input here. This is one of the more instructive threads in a long time.

flash32 likes this.
  16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes thank you again ..have a good remaining of the weekend

17. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks JD and everyone for asking questions and sharing info, really awesome learning experience.

Flash, related to your question about oil levels is AC flushing the system. I am not planning to flush anything yet. I will reconsider if evacuating, checking for leaks, changing the dehydration filter, and then refilling doesn't resolve my issues.

Reason for avoiding the flush is because of the oil levels. I've read that oil will reside in the condenser and evaporator when the system is turned off. Flushing these components removes any oil that is in them, thus lowering the amount of oil in the system. It's impossible to know how much was removed b/c you're flushing with a quart of other junk at the same time. The only way to really empty the system is to flush everything, empty the oil from the compressor, and then refill the compressor with the specified volume.

JD can you comment on the research I've done? Is it true that oil resides in the evaporator and condenser?

Happy Sunday,
    Ken

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ken

After hearing JD ..I would agree evacuate, change dryer , vacuum check for leaks and refill

19. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    flash32 likes this.
  20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Need to find the leak

TheRealFlyingBear and INRange like this.
  21. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    That is after I believe Ken added some refrigerant so something is loose. As to finding it, if the system is still without freon I would keep a vacuum on it with a microguage and retighten the hoses and see if the loss stops. Unfortunately, these things generally leak at the compressor either inside the compressor or where the hoses attach on the back.

If he has already refilled it....the best way to find it is with a electronic leak detector. Don't screw around with propane....get a leak detector. It will make short work of the effort and not set you and your car on fire. The only downside is that you may have to evacuate the system again to solve the problem.

TheRealFlyingBear likes this.
  22. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    #47 INRange, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Ken,

In regards to flushing the system.......there is no reason to do that at this point. The only time I do that is when the compressor has gone boom. Once you find the leak....all will be good.

Oil to some extent is present throughout an in use system. The compressor has a reservoir and is usually filled at the factory or reman facility before it is sent out. The presumption they make is that there is no oil in the new system. When you replace a compressor on a residential unit....you always flush the lines before you braze on the new compressor. That removes any oil residue from the old system.

On cars it is largely the same story if you are replacing a compressor. The system cannot be flushed with the compressor attached.

TheRealFlyingBear and flash32 like this.
  23. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The 50 dollar vacuum pump I bought off Amazon is now my best friend. I can pull around 27-28 in hg, but it doesn't hold. Drops down to 10in in about 10 minutes, and eventually to zero. So yeah, there's a leak!

Good suggestion to tighten hoses and pull vacuum to find the leak. Already tried that at the condenser earlier this morning. Although one of the unions wasn't fully torqued, it wasn't the source of the leak. I'll check all the joints downstream next, so the undertray will have to come off...AGAIN. I think I've removed it once a week for 3-4 weeks a row now. Even with practice and a quickjack, it's still a major pain in the ass. All good though, I won't be driving the car for about a month since I am having the bumper resprayed and then applying clear film to protect the paint. Plenty of time to sort out the AC.

24. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Just to make sure.....you are pulling the vacuum through your gauges and when you reach 27-28 you close the valve on the gauge leading to the pump and switch the pump off? Just switching the pump off won't hold a vacuum. You would be surprised how many HVAC techs think that it will.

25. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    that’s pretty funny...I am definitely closing the manifold valve on the low side and also the ball valve on my yellow line going to the pump (just because I can and I like using it).

INRange likes this.