360 Battery - Should I Replace? | FerrariChat

360 Battery - Should I Replace?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ron328, Feb 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    03 Modena F1. Optima Red top installed end of July 2014. Hooked 24/7 on Ctek MUS 4.3
    charger. Car driven every month. Last driven 3 weeks ago (Oregon weather hasn't been conducive).

1st attempt to start car, engine cranked up but wouldn't start. 2nd attempt, the same. 3rd attempt, cranking was weaker, then all I heard was ticking sound. After 5 min., restarted the car, engine cranked up for a few seconds, then just heard ticking.

Hooked the battery to the Ctek charger and it only took about 10 minutes to charge to 80% capacity. My voltmeter read 13.7v (while attached to charger). I restarted the car again, the engine cranked up but still wouldn't start. 2nd try, weaker crank, then ticking again. Voltmeter read 12.3v at this time.

Charged the battery again for 10 minutes. Restarted the car and this time, the engine ran. Drove it about 40 miles today. No problem. Car starts fine now after everytime engine turned off.

I will leave the car unhooked to the charger overnight and will start it tomorrow. If it doesn't start, definitely have to replace the battery. If car starts w/o problem though, my questions are:

1. Should I still replace the battery? (My feeling is I want to pre-emptively. If the above happened, I don't trust it anymore)
    2. If yes, what other brand of AGM batteries do you recommend? I am done with Optima. It gave me the same problem with my 328 before. I went thru 3 new red top batteries (replaced with warranty) every year bec they all died within 1 or 2 years.

Thank you in advance.

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I personally don't give a **** about the battery. They're cheap and IMHO recyclable every 3-4 years.

The problem that I worry about is the alternator! When you run a car, any car IMHO, with a low battery and get it running.. the alternator has to work extra hard to recharge it. So you get extra current running through the alternator wire/line and diode plate. This heats it up and any imperfections in the line contribute to its ultimate failure. The 360 alternator wire/line is known to get brittle where it bolts to the alternator. This and the added work to charge the battery is what kills the diodes IMHO.

I replace my battery at the very first sign of consistent slow cranking. Usually at the 3-4 year mark. I do this on all my cars. Since I've been doing this I haven't had to replace an alternator. While I've been running the Interstate MTP-91 lead acid with the vent in my car for 5 years with no issues... perhaps consider the Interstate AGM for your 360. They recently changed the model #'s of their batteries so its not on my fingertips.. but combined with running mine once a week.. it's been trouble free for me.

Also.. check where any current drain might be coming from. I can start mine with no issues even after 2 weeks. No tender connected. I had like 2 tracking devices and a redneck stereo connected on mine when I bought it. Took it all out to eliminate current draws.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Optima red top batteries have had a checkered history for a number of yeara now (primary issue is if they are allowed to discharge any significant amount, it tremendously shortens life and capacity...the direct opposite of typical AGM behavior). They used to be the "go to" battery in AGM...no longer. I will say that their yellow top, which is a deep cycle battery, still works well and gets good ratings on Consumer Reports.

The better AGM battery appears to be made by East Penn. It is sold under their own brand, as well as several private label brands (based on visual inspection, they have identical case design); Duracell AGM and Sears Advanced Gold AGM. Duracell is found at Battery Plus stores, as well as Sam's Club stores.

I recently discovered my Scud has a red top in it...I will likely be replacing it with an East Penn this summer...before I start having issues.

4. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Thank you, Curt. I worried about the alternator, too. In which case, I will just replace the battery (and have the dealer check the alternator at some point). RTGT services my car but it is 65 miles away. In the interim, if the NEW battery maintains its voltage (of 13.7 w/o lights or electronics on) while car is running, wouldn't that suggest that the alternator is fine?

My car has no after-market electronics. The only source of current drain I could think of is the 2 red blinking alarm system LED.

5. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #5 Ron328, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

Thanks for the AGM battery suggestions. Is Odyssey good?

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, but overpriced for what you get. You used to be able to get a PC1500 relabeled as a Sear Platinum Group 34 for $180 ($100 less than what Odyssey got) but Sears switched to East Penn, which is probably, at the minimum, the equal to Odyssey.

I had the Sears Platinum (Odyssey PC1500) in my F355 Spider for several years, it worked great, no issues.

I just looked on the Consumer Reports website and the top rated Group 34 battery is the Sears Advanced Gold AGM. I believe you will need the Group 34R version with reversed terminals for the F360. Again, this battery should be identical to the Duracell AGM or East Penn AGM as they are all made by East Penn. So I would shop based on price.

7. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just want to reinforce this point. Costco sells the 85-month Interstate MTP-91 with a non-prorated replacement for failures within the first 30 months. Cost is around $80. It is a direct fit replacement for the original battery, vent tube and all. I'm in Florida and my car is 15 years old. I keep it on a tender during the five months I'm away each year. I've replaced the battery three times and am expecting to do it again this season.

8. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Frequent replacement is definitely the way to go. I used to use the Costco Kirkland on my F355 but they have been discontinued. I just replaced with the Sears Diehard gold that was about $150 compared to the Costco Kirkland $90. I believe they are both made by Johnson Controls.

At least for my F355 there is plenty of slack in the cables to fit the regular type 34 rather than the 34R.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would stick with AGM technology...accessing the battery on any Ferrari is not very fun, or easy...and topping up with water when needed is a pain...even to check the levels you need a mirror.

AGM is truly "maintenance free" and requires no fluid checks (or vent tube). Even Consumer Reports now recommends AGM as the better value, due to the lack of needing water, superior performance and longer life (in general, not in all cases).

10. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I have had several early battery and battery charger failures with the Optima brand. And I might add that their customer service is run by natzi like robots. Never again for me, I went with an Interstate brand AGM and it is very well behaved.

I would check for current draw with the new battery and get a better floating type charger.

11. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Optima red tops have problem. My neighbor is consultant and is working with Interstate Batteries now to help resolve manufacturing defect on their batteries. Since Interstate bought Optima they moved manufacturing to Mexico. Since that time their Optima line has gone downhill. IMO, get the Interstate AGM battery. Optima batteries are showing failure rates now of less than 24 months. Even when on battery tenders

Steve

2NA likes this.
  12. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Wow, never heard about the acquisition, when did that happen?

13. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Love the Odyssey in my 308, cranks far better. You can get a good sale at various websites including free shipping.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

14. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #14 bisel, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Sorry, got it wrong. Optima is part of Johnson Controls. They purchased them in August 2000. But the other part of moving manufacturing to Mexico is correct. I got in mixed up because Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Intestate. Interstate is a private company that markets batteries. At least for automotive use, I do not believe that Interstate actually makes their own batteries. Johnson Controls also makes a bunch of other batteries ... Die Hard, Duralast EverStart, Bosch, Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc.

Interestingly, Johnson Controls was in talks to buy EnerSys. They make batteries as well.

There are three manufacturers that virtually dominate the automotive battery production in North America ... Johnson Controls, Exide and East Penn. Between them, they have about 90% or more of the total automotive battery market. Of the three, Johnson Controls is the largest manufacturer of batteries.

Regards,

Steve

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #15 Ron328, Feb 9, 2016
    Our local Autozone sells Duralast AGM ($175.99) batteries which are manufactured by the same maker of Die Hard and Sears.

NAPA has Legend brand ($199) which is made by Johnson Controls.

Do marine (deep cycle) batteries last longer? What is the advantage of using them in our Ferraris?

Thanks to all that responded to this thread.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    In Consumer Reports testing the Interstate tested similarly at a score of 89 out of 100 compared to the Sear Diehard Advanced Gold AGM...but when you compare based on price, the Sears is only $165 versus $260 for the Interstate AGM.

The dual terminal 34/78 Sears Advanced Gold AGM tested even higher at a score of 91...and same price of $165.

Again, the Sears Advanced Gold AGM is also sold under the Duracell AGM brand as well as under the East Penn Deka brand. All should be interchangeable, and you could purchase based on price. Duracell AGM is sold at Sam's Club, I suspect decent prices there. ;)

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #17 f355spider, Feb 9, 2016
    Deep cycle batteries are designed to withstand deep discharge without damage. Where a typical "starting battery" might lose some life and storage capacity from such an event. But you will typically sacrifice some Cold Cranking Amps capability, in order to gain this ability. So it is a trade off. I have never worried about it, and always purchase a standard starting battery over deep cycle.

Of the batteries you listed, the Autozone Duralast AGM is likely made by East Penn. So it is probably the same as the Sears Advanced Gold AGM. You could go to Sears or KMart and save $11 for the exact same battery. I note you are in Oregon...Batteries Plus stores carry Duracell AGM, and you might find a sale or something going on and get a decent deal at one of their stores.

Again, I believe the 360 requires a Group 34R, which has the terminals in the reversed position from "normal". In m F355, it was no problem to use a standard Group 34 as the cables were quite long and reached without problem. I don't think I will have that luxury in my 430 Scuderia...cables seem shorter. Might be the case in your 360 as well.

The only reason I would buy a deep cycle battery is if you want the Optima brand. As I stated in my first post, their red top batteries are of poor quality, but their "yellow top" deep cycle batteries are fine, and test in the upper range at Consumer Reports (not as good as Sears AGM or Interstate AGM in group 34).

18. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Marine batteries should not be used in your car. They have a different design profile. Simply put, car batteries are designed to deliver high current over a short duration. The sort of thing you want for frequent starts. They also recharge fairly fast. They do not tolerate deep discharge cycles.

Marine batteries are designed to deliver low current (relative to car batteries) over a long duration. They better tolerate deep discharge cycles. They do not tolerate frequent demands for high current draws, e.g., starting the car several times a day. They take longer to recharge.

In summary, a marine battery in a car will probably not last as long and deliver inferior performance than an automotive battery.

Steve

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #19 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm indifferent on that mod. While we know this can and does work, as people are doing it, there is no way around the fact you are running lower capacity battery with fewer amp hours of reserve capacity. Also lower cold cranking amps (only 330 CCA versus 700 to 800 CCA with a typical factory battery or replacement) Everything works fine, as long as your car is in good running order and starts immediately, and you keep the battery topped up and on a battery tender. But at the first sign of the battery losing any of its precious capacity, you are going to be disabled, without enough reserve to start the car.

One just needs to be aware of the compromise you are making, and if you are okay with that. If so, then no harm, no foul...just keep your AAA card handy. ;)

If it was a simple, no compromise swap, many car manufacturers would go to this immediately for the weight savings.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can only speak from my experience. It should be noted that I don't have an electric top or an F-1 system pump that pressurizes the system when I open the door to get in. Car fires up faster than it did with the OEM style battery. YMMV

22. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Great info. Thanks. I just removed the battery and you are right, it is Grp 34R. Will get the replacement tomorrow either at Autozone (Duralast) or Kmart as you suggested. Unfortunately, we don't have Batteries Plus stores in our town. I am totally done with Optima.

23. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Now I understand. Thanks for taking time to explain.

24. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Unfortunately, there's nowhere to get Odyssey brand (have read they're good, too) where I live but thanks for the suggestion, Kevin.

25. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Kevin
    They'll deliver it to your door. You could order from CA and shipped free with a good sale. I ordered mine late Wednesday night and it was at my door first thing Friday morning. If I remember correctly I ordered through apexbattery.com.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk