360 bought on ebay...buyer beware | FerrariChat

360 bought on ebay...buyer beware

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by skywalkermd, Oct 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    I purchased a 1999 360 from a TOP SELLER in Arizona( ebay dealer code wrxin17) in may and info had listed no problems and recent maintenance(I live in dallas) I received the car with NO a/c(had to repair at $2500,, as ebay will not stand behind its sales) and dealer simply offered to "repair" if I shipped it back at MY cost $1700...my recommendation is to avoid this seller unless you personally have any of his cars fully inspected..also ,he sent no manuals,no prior records

2. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    welcome to the forum. Do you have any pics to share and are you enjoying the car?

Is there any reason you waited 5 months before posting this?

3. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Dealer name?

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm going to be cruel here but... why in the world would you trust any dealer? If I were to pay this much for a car, I would inspect it myself before paying for it. And, for sure, I would know if the AC worked or not.

It's too bad the dealer screwed you but --- you also have some responsibility here to protect yourself.

6. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    X2.

I didn't read the listing but they may have actually not even known themselves

7. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am always amazed to the idea of purchasing exotic cars through ebay.
    I myself gets nervous on ebay even with rare diecast models that only fetch for a few hundred dollars.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +3. It's called a PPI. This would have shown up. Sorry you had such a bad experience but Caveat Emptor.

9. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    He's lucky he got a car! :eek:

Never heard of the dealership, a PPI would've saved all this, even if I bought a used car from a well-known dealer, a PPI would be in order.

10. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    I'm confused.... SkywalkerMD with 1 post starts this and then username Amenasce comes in and says the dealer name....

11. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Amenasce is a long time, valued member of the board, I doubt he would create another username to bash a dealer. OP also posted the dealer's e-bay code, meaning he could Google the name. Not too difficult.

12. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    ahhh, did not catch the dealer code in there...i'm slippin!!! :)

13. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    I actually saw my current 360 on Ebay from a dealer in Miami a few years ago. However, I phoned the dealer to arrange an inspection and an independent PPI. Everything worked out O.K. with only a few minor issues that were easy to correct.

14. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    i bought a 360 1999 on ebay(May) from a dealer in ariz..it arrived with hidden problems.(seller wrxin17) and when Ferrari of plano tx called Costa Mesa Al's on the previous work he provided it to them..on calling his place of business in Newport Beach this week he states he NEVER worked on car the plano service managers can verify info...I caution those who consider working with either of these businesses

15. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    I didn't post dealer name to avoid libel he has a top seller rating from ebay and BBB however both companies essentially ignored me when I asked them for help it took 4-5 months to post as I did not know of this site,,tried numerous times to work with the dealer(and so did Ferrari of plano) and my mom recently ill...the dealer even put in a fake invoice(no name at top) of ac work..door latch repair) the compressor was ""leaking like a sieve" per plano...a repair shop in costa mesa was given to me and ferrari for records first they told the details now they say ""haven't ever worked on car) ??? Costa Mesa Al's

16. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    bought a 1999 Modena on ebay from a top seller and A+ on BBB car delivered with repair work receipt in glove box--not reported to me until after it arrived.. on ac/door latch(no name of company at top) yet a/c not working first day,,door latch broke after 10days..no help from ebay nor BBB...dealer is WRXIN17 of ariz..DSC Motors...told me to "ship it back at my cost" if I wanted repairs..Ferrari of plano,tx,,repaired same(found ac leaking like a sieve)...on contacting the repair shop he "uses" Costa Mesa Al's,,Ferrari at first was given old records/owner...this week "mike" at AL"S claims he never worked on car(and his first contact can be verified by Ferrari service in plano,tx I suggest you avoid these businesses..

17. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    I bought a 360 on ebay...seller top rated and BBB A+...yet it arrived with a defective a/c compressor and door latch repaired at Ferrari in plano,tx...ac "leaking like a sieve..a unsigned work order on ac and door latch was in glove box..ebay ,,BBB of no help,,dealer WRXIN17 DSC MOTORS...told me to "send the car back at my cost" if I wanted it repaired...he stated work done at Cost Mesa Als in Newport beach...Ferrari of plano contacted him for old records 2 months ago which he gave some and previous owner,,this week he denies even working on the car! the first and recent contact can be verified by service at Ferrari in plano tx...please use caution when dealing with these companies

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Please do not spam the site by repeatedly starting the same discussion in multiple forums.

All of the threads have been merged into the original thread.

19. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    each area of the country is entitled to be protected..not everyone eats vanilla ice cream hence,,ariz doesn't read calif blob nor does tx read ariz get it?

20. skywalkermd

skywalkermd Karting

Oct 30, 2013
    and buyers come from all over to look at ebay..by solely placing my comments in ariz forum you have effectively screwed the rest of the buyers in all other regions who now may/can be "taken" thanks OOPS NO THANKS

21. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    As long as your post is not in a subscribed area, your posts are searchable by Google. This is just one reason why only one thread is permitted for disputes.

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #22 El Wayne, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    I'm confused as to why anyone would by a used car (a used Ferrari, no less) sight-unseen and not have a PPI performed by an independent third party before parting with his cash.

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    In addition to this, you made the conscious decision to buy a car sight-unseen, yet forgo a PPI. Now, unsurprisingly, you have an issue with the seller and would like to air your grievances. Believe it or not, we don't need you carrying on five different discussions on this same topic.

Pick an appropriate forum and start your thread there. You could have chosen the 360/430 forum, or the "not-model-specific" forum. Instead, you began here and then proceeded to spread it out to a number of other regional forums. If you would prefer to have your thread in another forum, state which one and, if it's appropriate, I will happily move the thread.

24. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    You did no PPI, apparently to cheap to do so. Did not fly out to see the car, did not make time and too cheap to pay for a flight.

Even hiring a cheap, less than $200, Internet hired local general car inspection company to
    inspect the operation of the car, general condition, paint, etc. would have told you about the AC problems.

When I bought my 360 from 1200 miles away, I had a PPI done first, came out good,
    paid through the nose for a flight out next day, out early morning, back later that night.
    Cost me less than 2% of the cost of the car. Insisted all records, copies of receipts, be in hand before check was handed over. All keys, books, etc. etc. present and accounted for.
    had it not worked for me, sure I would have spent over $1100- but that would of been best money spent, as much as you hate to....

You did none of this, and now 5 months later you are whining about it....

Consider yourself LUCKY, all that was wrong was no AC, 5 months later and just no AC
    on a sight unseen used older Ferrari. Go buy a lottery ticket, you are a lucky man !

25. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Let me add...

You saved $1100 not doing a PPI/flight, or more. Spent $2500 getting a older Ferrari
    shipshape, so really around $1500, and you are complaining -

Many people on here did do a PPI, fly out, did do their due diligence, and had way bigger repair bills within weeks or months...
    Please spend your time driving and enjoying the car, instead of seething about it.

Lastly, how about supporting the Forum you are using as a soapbox, bandwidth is expensive.