360 Cam Cover gasket replacement | FerrariChat

360 Cam Cover gasket replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Neil22, Dec 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I am new to working on Ferrari's and have a question about replacing the cam cover gaskets.
    I have pulled the cover and before I replace the gasket would like to know if I need put some gasket sealant on the cover.
    I am concerned around the seals in the front and the very small piece of gasket in between the cam shafts.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Yes, a small amount of sealant is applied where the gasket end meets the seals. I use Hondabond HT.

3. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Thanks for the quick response:
    Do I need to apply some around the front seals?
    does the sealant need to be hi temp ? I have a lot of permatex - from working on old Muscle cars.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #4 2NA, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    I was referring to the front seals. Also a good idea anywhere gasketed surfaces meet at right angles.
    There are photos of this but I don't have any handy right now.
    I use Hondabond HT. The Permatex Grey is somewhat similar stuff. There are others that might work okay. Leave the gasket long at the back end where the small covers go. Trim it flush with a razor blade after the cam cover is on tight, before putting the small covers on. Put a tiny dab of sealant where the gasket is showing between the cam cover and head. Do it all carefully and you won't have any leaks.

Don't be in a hurry unless you have time to do it over once or twice. :rolleyes:

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    High quality silicone sealant (I recommend ThreeBond 1211, white in color) should be applied to both sides of the cam cover gaskets at the all front joints where they meet the cam seals and at the rear joints where they meet the rear cover gaskets. The ThreeBond 1211 is very fluid and has a very long cure time (I let it cure overnight before starting the engine), so it gives you ample time to get everything in place and torqued up before it starts drying. You only need a small amount, or the excess will squeeze out (on the inside and outside). Clean-up is easy on the outside with paper towels and Q-tips. I don't recommend using sealant on the cam seals themselves.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

2NA likes this.
  6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Yes, the seals don't need anything. Only where they meet the cut ends of the gaskets.
    Threebond 1211 is good stuff but I have a friend that works for Honda that supplies me with their version.

7. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Thanks again for the quick response and advice -
    One last question getting at the front where I have to cut the gasket between the cam seals any advice here - I found the front very hard to get to that one spot - i did move the belt cover but its still really really tight.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    This is a job that is much easier on a 355 with the engine out of the car. The 360 doesn't give you much room to work.
    Precut the gasket with a scissor, using the cam cover as a guide. An Xacto knife can be helpful. You also might take a look at the old gasket you removed (if you still have it).

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 360 does not give much room to work with at the front... Dats True.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ya but flat rate gives you 36 minutes to do the job.

And some people wonder why its hard to get good warranty work.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I remove the bearing supports at the front of each cylinder head with the upper bearing shells. These provides oil to the exhaust cam variators and spacers at the front of the intake cams. That way you can access the small area on the head between the cams seals in order to clean it, cut the new gasket to fit and apply the gasket sealant.

If you look at the factory 360 repair manual, the photos showing removal and replacement of the cam cover gaskets have these supports removed even though they don't mention it in the text. You don't have to remove the belt covers if you are only replacing the gaskets and not the cam seals. The removal of the front bearing supports gives you enough room to see what you are doing and perform the cleaning of the head and installation of the new gaskets. All of the work can be done from the engine bay, so you don't have to remove the interior trim and access cover.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No way for me to do it in 36 minutes.

2NA likes this.
  13. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    How can they only give you 36 minutes?

Is it possible to remove the cam belt cover without draining the cooling system?

Books says to remove the pipe on the drivers side before the cover can be removed after draining the cooling system.

I was able to move it so i can at least see where the gasket will go.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Brian
    Did not see you post before responding.
    You are referring to the first cam bearing shell?
    What is the torque spec for the cam bearing cap?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Hey Brian -
    Read you post and would like to thank you for detail procedure - I did check the manual and you are correct the bearing cover is removed.

I can remove the bearing cap but this is a spider and the convertible top cover prevents me from getting too close to the front when working from the top of the engine bay where in a coup I could see there would be plenty of access.
    I have removed the inner fender well in the back to gain access seemed easier then working around the upper frame rail.

Anything special about removing the bearing cap? and do you think it will help with access to the center spot using the wheel well for access.
    Thanks again for all your advice it has been extremely helpful.

Now if the parts would arrive that I could get done!

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari makes the rules. They get to set the times any way they want.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My bill would be higher if the engine was on the bench.

Ferrari and their dealer relations have a very high BOHICA factor.

Seriously under compensated warranty repairs are why customer pay bills are so high.

2NA likes this.
  18. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I would like to thank all who contributed to this post -
    The pictures below show the covers back on with the new gaskets. NO LEAKS !!
    This was an interesting job and I found it much easer to work from inside the fender well instead of from the top.
    Lots of hoses to work around to get the cover off then back on again. I found the little hose on the back of the cover to be very difficult since it kept getting stuck and had very little play.

Brian - removing the bearing cap was critical to getting the small gasket seated and sealed. Thanks for pointing that out.

After starting and allowing the car to warm up - I reinspected everything and oil appeared between the oil pan and the transaxle so I assume this means replacing the oil pan gasket. Time for a new thread?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Start a new thread. Beginning with "Is there a gasket here?"