360 cambelt change - diy | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 cambelt change - diy

Discussion in '360/430' started by 900ssDuke, Jun 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    +1

I work on my own carS because I enjoy working on them. In addition I know for sure it was done proper, and I don't have to worry about anyone hot rodding it at the service shop.

In addition I drive it... 5000 miles in two years.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  2. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    WHAT!!!! You bought an used Clavis for $200? I paid a lot of for mine!

3. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    It is not a Clavis but it works awesome. I can't tell you what manufacture built it because it doesn't have any labels!

4. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Awesome!

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    you give far too much credit to a 'professional'.

a diy'r with an adequate background and an intent for perfection is far preferable in my book.

sure, a backyard hack is a possible scenario....
    but just as likely is the scenario of a professional slamming the car thru the shop in half the book hours.

Or, outright fraud... a far too common experience

either way - you're screwed.

better to judge the quality of the diy'r by the man standing in front of you,
    instead of judging a professional by a piece of paper.

my experience with a northwest Fcar dealer sucked - even if the paper has a horse on it - its still just a piece of paper.

yes - there are good shops out there but not all of them, all of the time

rgds,
    Vincenzo

6. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Can i please get your VIN#. For me I would never buy a self serviced ferrari a Kia now maybe but then again I would not remove my own gallbladder either but its a hoot to read.. good for you !

7. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    Having paid £8k to get my gallbladder removed last year, I would certainly have had a go at this if I knew where to cut.

Thing is, I now know how my car has been serviced. I have no doubts as to whether the belts and fluids were actually changed out. I have no fear of this car, I look forward to the next time I'm in there. I understand the Ferrari stamp in the book obsession and am ok with this, but my car is now at an age and value where maintenance is part of the experience and enjoyment. Its a car same as a Kia is, although there seems to be more similarities with VW.

8. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    A great post, and you have a similar attitude to the car as myself.

I totally agree with your thinking that now you know what's done regarding the belts.

When do you plan on doing the clutch? Is your car an F1?

I look forward to your progress report on the clutch change.

9. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    #34 900ssDuke, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Car is manual. I hope my clutch makes it until the end of the season. Its still fine but clutch engages / disengages much further down the pedal travel than it used to, even with changing / bleeding the fluid.

I have attached 3 pictures from my phone (do you believe I forgot my camera so quality is ropey)

First is a before shot with the ancilliary belts and cam covers removed. 2nd picture shows view from beneath the car, looking at the ancilliary belt drive pulley. This can be rotated with a socket to set the timing marks (or make new ones) and then needs to be removed to get the cambelts off. 3rd picture shows the VW tensioner tool at work. You can just about make out the drill bit in the tensioner slot. Note the workshop manual recomended locking tool. Go easy with it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it just me or are the vice grips a bit barbaric ;)

I understand the logic but I would hate to pinch two round surfaces to hold for fear of marring/warping something.. too loose & they move.. What is the proper tool to hold the cams with?

Great pics, really accessible in there with the door removed... I may have to make a try at this..

11. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Believe it or not that's what the work shop manual stated. "A self locking device" Vice grip? Even showed a picture of it.

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I totally agree. Relax, it's not a big deal.

13. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland

Can you point me towards the other thread about the tensioner, since I can't seem to find it.

The tensioner tool looks a bit similar to the key for changing discs on a 4 1/2" (115mm) angle grinder.

14. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Believe it or not, this information is in the shop manual.

15. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    I bought a gates sonic tester last week for 588.00.

Anyone know if there was any problems with the RH HYDRAULIC TIGHTENER on the 02 models. Took mine down to the belts tonight to find the RH belt is loose and LT side is tight. The previous owner had the 30k service done already on the car with 9k on it and had it till 12k and now it has 13300 after driving it home from LA to Portland, I think they did a poor job on the service since both valve covers and end caps are leaking oil.

16. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    I’m glad that you found this before is too late. If that belt jump one tooth, the results are catastrophic!!!.
    That is why I think that no one will do a better job on my car like myself!! just my opinion.

17. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not sure what you are referring to when you said RH.

The only issue I've heard regarding the tension (damper) is that the casting on the unit was not made right by Ferrari and they will crack and break off at the mounting point. There is an improved replacement unit issued by Ferrari, it has nothing to do with the tension issue, just that the body of the unit will crack.

Only the tensioner (damper) on bank 5-8 have this issue, the replacement unit costs 2x more than the unit for bank 1-4.

Bank 5-8 is the bank on the driver's side for US cars.

18. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Ok, finally got both left and right hand side hydraulic dampers for the valve belts in and proceeded to disassamble the crankshaft bolt. Climbed under the transmission and removed the access plate. With the Hill Engineering crankshaft lock tool AV3207 in hand and it won't fit, not even close. Has anyone else had this problem, I have flipped it back and fourth, the bolt holes line up but the 2 teeth on the tool are about 3/4 forward away from the flywheel teeth. The only thing it lines up with is the clutch pack sorta.

19. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The locking tool does not lock the teeth of the flywheel, it locks into a specific void of the pressure plate assembly. You will need to rotate the engine by the pulley and the tool will lock into one specific spot when it rotates to that position

20. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your well written notes.

I have one question. You stated that "Refitting the tensioner is a bit fiddly..."

On the engines that I've worked on (non-Ferrari) it's sometimes difficult to install the new belt. The reason is, with the tensioner in place, it's difficult to stretch the belt over the pulley(s). Alternately, one can install the belt over the pulley (sans tensioner) but then it's difficult to install the tensioner. Is this what you meant by "fiddly" ?

Thanks.

21. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Hi, did you say, you used Vice grips to hold the cams in place. Waiting for parts on my 360 to do the cam belts and wondered which tools to order to keep cams in place . Any other tips for doing this would be appreciated.

22. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    In the ferrari workshop manual that’s what they recommend. You should have a copy of the WSM if you are doing this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Tks. Do have the WSM but found one page was missing where it mentions the inspection of inlet and outlet cam markers to be checked from back on Engine. Just confused about opening cam covers etc. Thought its a straightforward method of locking in the 2 sprockets with the vice, putting a mark and swapping the belt / measuring the gap bet 1.9 n 2.3mm for the bearing and the tensioner., doing the manual rotation 2 times and checking for any changes.

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Seriously? I have been doing my own services on my Ferraris for 30 years, keep great records and when selling, I've always gotten top dollar. Every so often a punter comes along that has to have a horsey on a receipt and tries to beat me up on price (mind you they still want the car because of condition), and I promptly show them the door.

John_K_348, bergxu and Cgk360 like this.
  25. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I couldn't agree more with Dino. Having a complete maintenance history is more important to me than who did the work. I do want to see dealer performed warranty and recall campaign work though.