360 carpet delete question | FerrariChat

360 carpet delete question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jaymie360, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    dear all,

I am thinking of removing the floor carpet to reduce weight ala challenge stradale. My concern is does our normal 360 have the same floor color like the stradale?

Is theres any area that i should take into account prior removing the carpet?

Is theres any other member in this forum has done this carpet delete?

thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    How much does the carpet weigh? Does it warrant removal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    i have no idea about the weight.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Totally love your seats! Envious!

Read this (somewhat legendary), thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360stradale-6-speed-manual-conversion.158419/

Trev did some massive changes to his 360. One of those was to remove carpets and sound deadning. The latter took some time and elbow grease to get properly done.
    I havn’t checked how much weight Trev shed removing the carpets and so on, but would make a qualified guess that it’s close to 20 pounds.

Good luck and keep posting your progress.

5. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    After you remove the carpets, the rest of the interior will look put of place, so you're on the slippery slope to full carbon....

6. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    thanks mick.. am very lucky to get the seat. and thanks for the link.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Adding a pic from when I was redo'ing my interior. Nothing even remotely pretty underneath. If I remember correctly, when I shipped out the old carpet the package was around 45 lbs...that was including shipping box, FULL carpet, console, relay covers, etc. The carpet itself is probably only around 20 lbs..but removing it would be ugly.

That interior is goegeous. Please don't :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    1-Diet and Loose 10 lbs if applicable
    2-Replace your battery with an anti gravity battery

This will save 50 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I did the full carpet delete cos the red carpet was making my eyes bleed. Went with black carpet CS style. I'll post some pics tomora.

10. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    So you're just throwing darts at a board and hoping for what exactly? Some greater-than-zero weight savings no matter how negligible? A complete absence of data and careful calculation is no way to plan a performance improvement.

This. +100

Cars, planes, or motorcycles - this is always the cheapest "horsepower" available for any manned vehicle.

11. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    thanks mate

12. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    maybe i will post my lap timing before and after

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You'll be surprised to discover that the carpets actually don't save a whole lot of weight. Its the underlay and more importantly the recycled tires glued to the aluminum floor panels which are the real weight savers. However to remove them its painstaking as you need to use a heatgun on it to melt the glue enough to remove it all.

All I see in your interior right now is major color clash, you need to look into something like mine to make it all match.

As for the state of under the carpets, suffice to say you'll find an ungodly mess. Ferrari didn't expect people to do it so its just in no fit state to show and on a red car its even worse, looking more like a pink bathroom suite ;) You'll either have to repaint the interior which requires removing the whole dash, seats, carpets, the lot or do something nice like a 16M style Alcantara themed update (I did the 16M style since in was measured in grammes (Alcantara is light) and then I fitted 430 Scuderia floor mats which I think look much better than the rubber mats of the CS. The choice is yours... Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Jaymie360

Jaymie360 Karting

Jun 3, 2017
    The legend has spoken! thanks trev for the constructive input and thoughts. Yes it will be painstaking to remove the glue underneath but i think i will go that route eventually. For the "colour clash" as you mentioned, i am looking for a reputable supplier now for the alcantar and once it is settled i will definitely retrim the leather to alcantara. The weight loss for losing the carpet is not significant but the feeling of driving in a bare interior ala race car is priceless.

I am reading your thread now (thanks to mickster) and suddently saw your post on my thread. I think its gonna be a good sign for my project.

thanks guys.