360 Challenge Stradale Dyno Run II | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Challenge Stradale Dyno Run II

Discussion in '360/430' started by thomas_b, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    This might sound obvious, but did you try to "ram" air into the intakes with a large fan on the dyno?

Sounds hokey, but a leaf blower also works excellent for this :D

2. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

the key is to achieve the velocity - the effect uses the intertia of the air mass to push the air into the combustion chamber

fans most of the time go for volume and not velocity so I ruled them out

I don't know what the velocity is blowers achieve - but it seems that the do not get close to 140mph

maybe someone has tried a procedure

3. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Most leaf blowers are over 100 mph!

Also, you are right about most fans as they are meant for volume and not velocity. The kind I was referring to are the "squirrel cage" type that move high velocity air over a smaller area. The dyno I go to has one like this and I use it to blast my intercooler. I dont think it simulates true 100+ mph blasts down the road, but its certainly better than stagnant air.

4. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    what is you altitude?

5. arakisfilip

arakisfilip Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2004
    Here is a torque curve from a German Magazine Sprt auto, I don;t know if they actualy did the dyno but here are the results

6. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Figure 400- 405 HP for a freshly stock rebuilt F355 C at the flywheel, on an engine dyno. Done it. Extrapolate using 18% driveline loss yeilds about 328 HP at the wheel.

Rob Schermerhorn

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    close to sea level; Seattle - good try but no altitude is not the problem

8. arakisfilip

Jan 25, 2004
    I don't know whay but it did't want to upload

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    yes - I figured 17% is what we should see based on a paper on dyno measurements from SAE - the reason that hold true say compared to the P cars is that the 360 rev's higher which adds to the losses

10. arakisfilip

Jan 25, 2004
    As musch as I know there is a 5% up or down margin of error, I think basiscly the avrige of the cs built will be 425 hp, oh by the way what is the regular modenas drivetrain loss

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    400 HP flywheel - ~320 HP rearwheel -> ~20%

dyno measurements range from 310 -320 HP

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ram Air is a myth. COLD AIR provides most of the HP gain.

A couple of years ago, the motorcycle guys instrumented a Kawasaki with ram air. They added a pressure measureing equiptment to the front of the bike, and inside the air box. Result: at 170 MPH there was a 0.5 PSI gain in the air box, while there was a 3 PSI gain on the windshield. This corresponds to a 3% gain in HP at max velocity, and less than 1% gain at 100 MPH.

The big difference in the airbox, is that you have a hungry engine consuming all the pressure of the intake. This is an entirely different situation than the pressure on the front of the car. In the air box, the air never gets a chance to stop, where on the front of the car at the stagnation point, the air actually does stop and can convert all of its velocity difference into pressure.

Notice also that to gain pressure from the air inlet to the air box, the shape of the duct needs to expand like the second half of a carbuertor venturi.

13. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    feedback from F about my dyno graph (asked FoSeattle to dig into the problem):

the 360 has a torque limiter (soft) and a rev limiter (hard)

the soft limiter starts to intervene at 8000rpm if a torque/load threshold is reached and the hard limiter intervenes somewhere above 8500rpm (8650rpm in case of my car) by cutting fuel

the torque/load limiter is there to protect transmission / engine

Now why you have such a protection in the CS is another question

14. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thomas,

Not sure I understand soft limiter, But I certainly hit the hard limiter today for the first time.

It's difficult to see the presise cut out point as the neddle bounces around quite a bit and I didn't want to hold it there for too long
    but I would say 8500-8650 seemed about right for mine too.

The first thing that strikes you is that it does NOT automaticly change up a gear as in the 360M.
    Then it sounds just like a pit lane limiter. It didn't seem to do the car any harm but I doubt if I will do it again intensionlly.

Wazza

15. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Hi Wazza - loved your dump truck story - your car in-between dump trucks!!!!!!!!!

soft means that the engine ECU starts to take power away gradually (e.g. reduces throttle) above 8000rmp + max load/torque - have not had the time to think this through but I assume this is done in preparation for the hard rev limiter – otherwise you would run straight into it

16. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i can't remember for sure, but i don't *think* that my modena would automatically upshift at the rev limit while in sport mode?? do you recall?

also, do you know if the stradale handles the rev limiter the same way regardless of being in sport or race mode?

17. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

funny thing was during the first dyno run - when I was still thinking that it would be a piece of cake - I planned to do a run in normal and in sport mode to see what the differences are

in normal mode V gear the car would up-shift – first time I blamed the operator for shifting – second run the same; automatic upshift

I would give money to know what the ECU program is trying to protect in the 8000rpm / high load range – very very mysterious

18. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In normal mode it will auto-upshift; in sport mode it will NOT... it'll let you bounce off the rev-limiter.

19. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, in a dyno run, such as you were doing, the torque/load should be exactly what its supposed to be up to 8500rpm, right?

So, what are they saying? That the 409/425hp is theoretical... that's where the curve would go if it weren't for the fact that the tranny can't handle it and so the soft-limiter cuts power?

Sorry, that answer demands more questions!!
    Does soft limiter kicking in on a dyno run make sense to any of you??

20. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Errr - that would be the engine I think :)

21. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Could it be only at a standstill or on a dyno where this would occur? Maybe even with the ASR off, there is a non-defeatable portion that cuts back power if the front wheels are stationary or not rolling fast enough? I find it hard to believe that you would not notice that kind of drop in power on the road. It just falls off a cliff.

I could see the benefit of this from a standstill. If the rear tires break loose from too hard a launch the rpms will instantly hit the rev-limiter and stay there as long as you keep your foot to the floor. Maybe that is the kind of damage to the engine/transmission it is trying to prevent?

22. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Hmmm... how long did it take your car to run up the RPMs on the dyno... was it really quick (lightly loaded)... or really slow (heavily loaded)... maybe it was really, really slow... as if you were climbing a huge incline, and as a result the ECU was trying to protect the tranny/driveline which perhaps can't handle that much torque applied for that long????

Just trying to put 2 and 2 together here...

23. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    no no no the CS is not supposed to automatically upshift - this was one of the minor details that attracted me to the car - please don't give me the coolest looking track car on the planet, which automatically upshifts in idiot mode fashion

I didn't find that the car would upshift in my normal mode driving - dealer also says no upshift - there is no "UP" for Revolution Limiter section in the CS owner's manual

24. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

the effect is most pronounced in V gear and if the run yields max power - it is either very slight or not present if a run is performed in IV or III gear

25. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    soft limiter @ 8000rpm: this would mean max. HP at 8000rpm and not 8500rpm
    Since the effect was not always present in my runs especially in lower gears we can assume that it is triggered depending on some special condition.

Depending on torque sounds strange to me since max. torque is at 4750rpm and that is the point at which we see the biggest force on all transmission parts I assume. This is the point at which stuff should break. We know that people tune the cars to have more torque & power (see ECU from Heiko) so the transmission line should be handle more torque and HP.

The dyno and especially the Mustang have a lower mass equivalent because of the roller design, i.e. they under represent the car mass. That would mean the car accelerates faster compared to road conditions (resulting in more undesirable inertia losses in the drive line). Not sure if that in addition might get the ECU confused.

The CS is designed as a track car. Having a soft limiter at 8000rpm that jumps in if max engine load (based on whatever parameter) is reached seems strange. We know that the car can rev to 9200rpm without self-destructing because of the tuned ECUs. So no need to be so anal about the 8500rpm redline.

If the car would be a BMW or a Mercedes I would not wonder why there is a soft limiter – for a Ferrari and especially the CS I am very surprised – throwing away 10HP makes no sense to me in a track situation – protecting engine/transmission/etc. is a meaningless answer for a track-oriented car for which you can (and should) switch of most electronic assistance