360 Cold Start Stumble and Rough Idle | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Cold Start Stumble and Rough Idle

Discussion in '360/430' started by dsevo, Jun 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wakebrding247

Wakebrding247 Karting

Apr 27, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    What controls air fuel mixture....the Mafs, it seems like they are just adjusting the ecu for a dirty maf. I could be wrong tho, cleanin the mafs wont do any harm.

2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Is this a recall type thing, or are they going to want a grand or something ridiculous to re-flash the computer? If that's the case I'll live with it. Thanks for the info.

3. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I have never had the same problem on my 02-360; I do connect it to the battery maintainer whenever I don't drive it.

4. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I drive mine at least twice a week so hooking it up to a battery tender is not an option for me as I drive my cars. Now if I had it up on the rack in my garage I would trickle charge it.

5. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I have the problem but my car (1999 Euro) has straight pipes and tubi so I may not be any help on this. I found this to odd on a fuel injected mass air car but thought it was due to the pipes and exhaust. My car actually dies on initial start and then upon restart it fires and idles normal.

Sounds like the issue runs across all car regardless of miles and battery strength.

6. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    So will this be fixed for free by Ferrari, or do I have to pay for the re-flash? Thanks.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Make sure you are keeping your car plugged in with a trickle charger as well.

My Ferrari mechanic has recommended twice a year adding BJ 44k additive to the fuel to help clean out the injectors. Make sure you are a 1/4 tank add the BJ, fill the car up and then drive the piss out of it and clean the injectors really good.

Robert

8. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Where do I buy BJ 44K at? Auto parts store, or is is something special? Thanks

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    BJ products can be purchased at most auto stores as well as GMC, Honda, BMW, Toyota dealers across the US. Very respected and helpful products.

Robert

10. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ray: Can't seem to find this switch. Is this switch for the F430 same as the 360? I assume what you mean by the front compartment - is the compartment under the front hood? Thanks, Al

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Not sure where it is on the 430. On the 360, it's in the upper left hand corner of the front compartment (under the front hood, yes).

Ray

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

You can also purchase the BG 44k at Shell gas stations. Makes it easy, pop it in and fill the tank all in one trip!

Robert

13. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    My 2000 360 modena does the same. I worried me also, like one cylinderbank is firing up much later. The dealer (note: not the dealer I bought the car) told me that they do it all and should be considered as normal and is no issue...

14. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I had been experiencing the same problem for quite a while...first intermittently, then more regularly when cold starting.

After many troubleshooting visits to resolve the issue (including re-setting the ECU over and over, injector cleaners, etc.), the problem was finally traced to the mass airflow meters. The mass airflow meters were replaced three weeks ago and presto, the problem was solved. The car fires right up and maintains a steady fast idle. It sounds better than brand new.

15. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    What are mass airflow meters? Where are they? Al

16. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Just to give an update. I stopped turning the main switch off every night and the car starts much better. Still has a slight stumble on cold starts, but nothing like before. Thanks for your help guys. By the way, driving these cars is addicting and it's extremely hard for me not to drive it every time I go anywhere. I love it!

17. Whatever

Whatever Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2002
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Dan Marlett
    Interesting, I have the same problem and replaced my MAF sensors and O2 sensors and the problem is still there. I guess when I have it in the shop next month I will have them check it out. I wish I was as lucky...

18. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    I have a 00 with 22k miles. I just replaced the mass airflow sensors last week b/c I was having idling issues and I have a new battery and my car still does it. I doubt its related to either the battery or the mass air sensors.

19. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dustin,
    Every time when the main sw is turned off, all the self learned settings are erased. When you turn the SW back on, you have to wait for few minutes so your car can go thru the self learning process. After the SW is turned on, put the key in the ignition On position (no engine running) and give your car some time to do its own thing (do not touch any thing).
    You may find more info on this topic if you do search.

Chris

20. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    Anyboy figure this thing out? When I bouth my car 2 years ago it did not do this at start up when I bought it 2 years ago. I've always wondered what this is!

21. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    any updates on this issiue.

22. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Techron injector cleaner worked for me, but I think the rough idle on initial start up can be caused by several things. Some people said it could be the plugs, O2 sensors, MAFs, etc.. Mine rough idle on cold start happened for a couple months and continued even after I had a 15K service (new plugs, filters, MAFs cleaned, etc.), but I still had the rough idle for 5 seconds or so.

My mechanic suggested Techron and 1 1/2 tanks the rough idle went away. I started with a half tank (the can only treated 12 gallons). Then I filled it up most of the way and added two cans (a little stronger dose ~1.5X solution). This solved my problem and since then I only have used gas that has Techron as an additive. The problem has never come back (~6 mos ago).

Your mileage may very depending on the root cause.

-Jim

23. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    I think that this applies to me!
    After one week without starting the car it sounds like a rotary car but after two tries it get normal.

24. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i had the mafs cleaned,did the techron and for 3 months it was great,it just came back 2 weeks ago.go figure

25. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Did you try more techron injector cleaner yet?