360 conversion | Page 12 | FerrariChat

360 conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by RANDY6005, May 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Nice job Randy... Weight is great at this point. Well done.

I was pretty surprised by the weight of the 'Stock' CS until you mentioned it had a Timate backbox fitted ;) Technically it could have been possible if you believe the factory suggestion that there was a way to achieve 1290kg (1180kg dry) but I've never seen a single car of that weight in stock form. I heard Ferrari may have even gone to the lengths of removing tire foam, leather binders, books, etc. pretty much anything else out of the car which was easily removable to do their weights.

Regarding Timate, its very light and sounds superb but also very very brittle and thus prone to cracking, I broke mine several times when the car was used hard, particularly on the track. Sound amazing but I just couldn't deal with getting it fixed all of the time. Its worth noting however its virtually same same weight as the 360 Challenge racing series car system that Randy has fitted, almost identical weight except the 360 Challenge one is very very strong (i.e. a real 360 Challenge, not road going "stylistic" copy as fitted on the 360/CS). The weight difference is pretty significant between the racing system and the road going version. Both are s/steel but the race version is very very light and doesn't even have valves or dual exit pipes in the name of weight savings. Also worth nothing battery and cats make a big difference too if you doing the exhaust system...

RANDY6005 likes this.
  2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Yes I have the Challenge exhaust system now but I am thinking real hard about using S-LINE Xpipe from Teaque he is super talented and very nice guy .. Here is a link to his web sight what do you think Trev ? Challenge exhaust system does not have that F1 sound like S-LINE system does... https://www.s-linesound.com/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    With no EGR valves and cats there is HUGE !! deference in heat from the engine bay almost never notice it now, I use to have to open rear hatch and blow a big fan to cool it down not now

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm curious about the headlamps. Did you replace the darkened lenses or install the whole assembly with clear ones?

6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Mello bought a new assembly, at the time I did not know you could buy just the lenses

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You cannot just buy the lenses, they are a complete assembly.

You can split them with some effort, for instance to reuse recycled lights from a broken car with a different paint color but it's not easy and it does risk damaging it until you perfect the technique to split them as they are bonded (strong glue) together. I've seen it done before and they heated up the entire assembly to help with that.

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Yes you are correct Trev I have seen just the lenses for sale at a few places on ebay and FerrParts . I found a set of titanium Grigo they had been taken of a new 360 and the owner had it painted black, the body shop owner put them in a box and they set there for over ten years I bought them for a very fair price. Then I had them repainted Rosso Scuderia . The painter used a plastic spatula and heat gun to split apart, and used a hybrid adhesive they used on car windshields

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

360trev likes this.
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I seem to remember when the 360 was new there was a dealership led recall on 360 headlamp from early 1999 cars. Why?

... Well the original design had a design flaw which due to curvature in headlamp design, in hot weather reflections from the Sun could actually cause fires! So they redesigned them to stop this ever happening. Walking past the back of the dealers I saw a young guy smashing the hell out of a skip chock full of 360 headlights of all different colours. I asked what he was doing and why? Apparently the factory insisted on proof they had been properly recycled so they had to take before and after photos. Shame they didn't save the headlight covers huh... There where literally hundreds in that skip!!!

Having owned my 360 from when it was nearly new and the current model I am so full of useless trivia :) hahah

mwstewart, blueTT and RANDY6005 like this.
  10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Any idea who manufacture the darken lenses? Surely not Ferrari. Is it aftermarket? Maybe a clear lens with a dark film applied?

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Mine they where sprayed with dark clear coat .

12. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I visited Steve in Jacksonville and had him tune my 430... he is a wizard!

Sent from my Galaxy

RANDY6005 likes this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    On the 360 my Swiss Army Knife tool will be unbeatable. I'm providing the capability to do live tuning and it won't cost a fortune...

Once done I will look at other models too...

RANDY6005 likes this.
  14. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik

best looking 360!

where did you get the brakelight in the diffuser??

RANDY6005 likes this.
  15. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Thanks Freddan rain light came from UK CarTek and diffuser from Rtune

16. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Steve Mase MaseEngineering called me and ask if he use my 360 he wants to swoop out my throttle bodys and replace with 430 throttle bodys and dyno to see how much more power it makes. It will be some time this month and I will post the final results .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

nchhotu likes this.
  17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm adding this feature into the Swiss army knife tool so anyone can do it for free...

18. Hemming

Hemming Rookie

Dec 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    peter hemming
    Hi Guys
    im looking for some advice or opinion on what is the best High flow cats on the market for my manual 360 2003.
    I am keeping the exhaust stock but just looking to change the cats to high flow.

cheers

19. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I sent TB out to Steve this morning. Should be delivered by next Tuesday. They are actually from a 458 italia which uses same TB as 430.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Nick,
    Just curious, why did you need to ship Steve the TB's?

Surely he could just have take throttle calibration data out of the F430 ECU rom dump and transplanted them straight into the 360 rom dumps. Cut'n Paste style.. ?

21. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Not sure but he also wanted to dyno before and after.

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    AHH sounds like he's spending effort to do some real tuning then! Good on him as most tuners I've seen don't even bother to test their stuff on actual car... Use the extra airflow (I assume you also have larger air low meters and updated MLHFM table transplanted too?) to dial in some more fuel into the map and check afr and fuel trims...

Don't really know much about his setup as every attempt to get in touch with him has failed and he never once responded to any of my messages.

Cannot wait to see a set of before and after numbers.. what baseline firmware is he using ? Don't forget to keep a backup of firmware before and after then you use my new version of Swiss army knife tool to compare the differences. Latest version I've added support to compare to maps in different dumps. Just finishing off testing so will be available soon...

23. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Quick question for you 360trev if you don't mind. I know you've weighed all the different bits and pieces you have replaced. I also know that the CS came with different air vents when compared to the standard 360. It's a bit of a silly question, but do you happen to know if the CS vents (also used in the 599 if I'm correct) have a different weight to the standard 360 vents which have horizontal slits, versus the button in the middle look with spokes that were added to the CS?

24. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Steve should have the TB's. Hopefully you can document and share the conversion process and outcome with us. I felt a marked improvement in throttle response and acceleration at highway speeds.

25. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    As soon as he calls me I will take him my 360 and keep you posted on the results NCHHOTU

nchhotu likes this.