360 Convertible Detailing Questions | FerrariChat

360 Convertible Detailing Questions

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by No-Subt2, Aug 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I recently bought a 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider. Yesterday, I washed it for the first time. I have some detailing questions:

1. How to should the cloth convertible top be cleaned/washed? How often should this be done?

2. The water seem to just sit on (and maybe soak in) the cloth convertible top. Does one need to regularly seal it? And if so, what product is recommended?

3. How does one wash the exterior painted engine panels, glass engine panel, and rear Challenge grill without getting water/soap in the engine compartment?

4. Does one need to cover or take extra precautions in washing/soaping the air and oil cooler intakes holes?

5. How does one clean the storage area of the convertible top? It is either in the top up or top down position. Can the mechanism be stopped in mid operation without causing adverse future issues to expose the convertible top storage area and the bottom portions of the top that touches the painted areas so they can be cleaned? And if yes it can be stopped in mid-operation, how is this accomplished?

6. What other precautions, tips, or recommendations do you have regarding detailing a Ferrari with a cloth convertible top?
    Thank you very much.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The top should be washed as little as possible only when you need it. Never thru a car wash. I never used soap just a hose at the gentlest angle possible.

My top never started to soak up water but if it did l would treat a part of the top with scotch guard and see how it worked.

I never put water pressure on the engine. Wipe with damp rags when the engine is not hot. I have used engine cleaner on the engine. Follow the directions on the spray can. Wipe of with a damp cloth not a hose.

Do not keep the top down for extended periods when not in use. The plastic rear window will eventually crack and have to be replaced if it stays bent for extended periods.

Never put the top down when the top is damp.

Don’t park under trees. Sap and bird poop are hard to get out of the top and can damage the paint. Remove theses ASAP. I make a habit of eyeballing the car when putting in the garage looking for things l need to get off fast,

Try not to park in the sun...tough on tops...and paint.

Don’t use shiny leather treatment on the dash. The glare will ruin your visability. Armour all will eventually turn everything including tires a yucky brown.

Use the double bucket method to wash your car with a mild automotive soap. One bucket has soapy water, the other has clear water. I use a brush with very soft bristles and a long handle. Do not use on the top unless plain water won’t do the job.
    Spray the car with clean water.
    While the car is wet dip brush into soapy water.
    Brush a small area such as a door or fender.
    Rinse the brush in the clean water to get all the dirt out of the brush.
    Rinse the soapy area with the hose.
    Wet the next area and repeat all the above steps.
    ALWAYS DO THE TIRES AND WHEELS LAST.

Wipe dry with towels. I use red towels for the horizontal areas to get the heavy water off. Then use micro fiber towels where the car is not so wet.
    Do not wipe the top unless you like lint on the canvas. If you have to towel get some black towels.
    Always start drying from the top down, horizontal surfaces first, then the doors, sides and fenders. Bumpers front and rear last.
    Wheels dead last.

Once you get the hang of it the wash takes a little over 30 minutes. Doing things right takes time. Being methodical and not in a hurry saves time in the long run.

Use leather cleaner and conditioner at least a couple times a year. Colorado is a dry climate and dries out leather.

If you have to use plastic cleaner and polish on the rear window make sure you do not get any on the top it is almost impossible to remove.

Try not to get the underside of the engine window wet. It is difficult to clean properly.

Hope this gets you started. Enjoy. The 360 Spider is a beautiful car.

eyeman1234 likes this.
  3. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Thank you. That helps a lot.

I still have unanswered questions:

A. Does one need to cover or take extra precautions in washing/soaping the air and oil cooler intakes?

B. Can the convertible top mechanism be stopped in mid operation without causing adverse future issues to expose the convertible top storage area and the bottom portions of the top that touches the painted areas so they can be cleaned? And if yes, how is this accomplished?

4. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    A. No. The car is designed to be driven in the rain. We have driven our 360 through some torrential rains here in the mountains. Never a problem.

B. Yes. Simply stop the top when you get to the desired point. I usually prop it up with a couple of 1x2's I cut for the purpose.

eyeman1234 likes this.