360 coolant /fans gremlins | FerrariChat

360 coolant /fans gremlins

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aj360, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Hey guys so finally my 2000 360 is running a dream sounds perfect drives amazing .. went for a small 5-10km drive down the highway few side streets ..got the 430 muffler on sounds insane .. soon as I got home I noticed coolant coming out on the tray and floor at least 600ml-1lt when I moved the car in to park checked the temp was just over a 100 no thermo fans were on either when driving it the temp was perfect everything was ... turned it off before it got worse few hours later checked the resovior was a inch under so still very full .. let it sit overnight then came back bout 2pm started it waited for it to heat up took some time finally got up gave it couple light revs the temp needle went down quickly then up slowish near 100 fans kick on drops back down .. i turned it off to chill and could hear little bubbling sound from the resovior.. came back checked coolant was still full no drop ... the caps new to / cars running best its ever run / no white smoke / no coolant level drop in the resovior .. coolant was flushed on service I don’t understand why the fans didn’t switch on when I got home after a good drive plenty revs and fun then today was just sitting still running fans kicked in no coolant leak ????

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Coolant leaked because it was overfilled.
    Fans probably didn't come on because you didn't let it get hot enough.

Aj360 likes this.
  3. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

The temp on the gauge was over 100 bout 120 say.. not in the red but heading there just jumped as soon as it got in my garage .. my fans usually kick in bout 90-100 .. thing that ****s me is it’s the best it’s ever driven now .. what about hooking up a switch in the cabin to manual turn the fans on ??

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

usually its air in the system. I've been through what you are at for multiple times.
    To test my theory, when the temp on dash reach 100+ celcius, turn off the car with key off the ingition. use your hand to touch the radiator, which can be access through front bumper holes here and there. The radiator should be hot as hell as your hand would have a biological retract.
    if the radiator is only lukewarm and ok to touch , u have air in the system or your thermostat is stuck closed

Aj360 likes this.
  5. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    thanks heaps man for that I will give it a go tonight :) I was having the time of my life the other night just got my 430 muffler on the new carbon seats .. what a difference feels like a new car :) but still learning these little glitches and gremlins that are happening at the moment will report back with the outcome I was all stressing I blew a head gasket :(

24000rpm likes this.
  6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

like Rifledriver said, if the coolant in the radiator isn't hot enough, the fan won't turn on , regardless of your temp on dash. Because the temp on dash only shows the temperature around your engine block.

Aj360 likes this.
  7. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    will get down tonight let my baby run and check them radiator see if it’s got some heat .. was just weird after a big drive it did it and the fans didn’t kick on but when sitting in the garage running next day fans come on .. will start there tho and let you know how it goes .. :)

24000rpm likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    You said "just over" 100. 120 is not just over 100. If you serviced the cooling system and did not use an Air Lift type tool to refill you are needlessly risking damaging the engine.

Aj360 likes this.
  9. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Hey man not sure how it was done but I think it was done poorly it never had the problem before ... how ever what you and 24000 rpm said make sense if the radiator wasn’t getting the signal cause a air blockage or thermostat stuck closed after the long drive the resovior was getting hot hence the leaking out the overflow .. the following day when I tested to see if the fans kicked on on they went and the temp stayed good .. just had some light bubbling noise in the resovior .. how ever coolant levels there are still good even after such a big loss I am going to try again tomorrow give it a wash to .. as I say starts great no smoke runs like a dream best it’s been since I had it beside that :)

10. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Ok boys so
    Radiators get hot
    Fans came on at 100

had to switch the car off move it turned it back on fans didn’t come back on car went over 100 coolant leaking out the resovior :(

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

hey, aj, you are testing a non-native speaker's English reading comprehension by not putting any punctuation mark in there.:D

Here's how I bleed my coolant.
    1. add coolant
    2. idle car until 105 celcius
    3. shut down , leave car and do whatever I want to do
    4. 24 hours later
    5. loop 2-4

3 days later. usually it will be fine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Aj360 likes this.
  12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

that means you were having air in the system. So good news for you, nothing broken on your car.

Aj360 likes this.
  13. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Thanks man honestly was stressing hard cause one minute was fans on next minute overflow was out of control o_O Ok so will check the coolant level tomorrow add some do your steps :) I really do appreciate you replying and helping :D I am not very good with typing stuff I get to excited lol

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  14. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Hey man hope your well just a little update haven’t been able to drive much cause the lockdown so on .. I did some the methods you said to bleed it threw the resovior I seem to get both fans kicking on which is good I haven’t taken it for a huge drive cause worried going end up frying the engine lol... I did notice tonight tho going to get some petrol in it that the passenger side fan wasn’t as hot as drivers and I get a light bubbling noise from the resovior when it’s switched off after a drive .. caps new changed that ;) seems to always have lots coolant to .. any idea what the bubbling noise would be ??

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if every method fails, here's a trick that works every time, but it involves a little danger of burning your hands.

Just after the water reaches 210F or 200F, turn off engine, open the reservoir, let the coolant get out , let it be. leave the car. wait a few hours until its all settle down.

add coolant,

do this for 2 cycles, sometimes just 1 cycle , there will be no air.

you need to clean the engine bay afterwards, though
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bubbling noise = air in the system
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    you won't fry the engine if you keep an eye on the coolant temp. if it reaches 220, pull over, shut down the car, wait 20 min and its good to drive again (limp home).

Aj360 likes this.
  16. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Thanks again man will give it a crack again I was thinking I hope it’s not my head gasget
    :(

That’s my worse fear lol