360 cooling fans not working | FerrariChat

360 cooling fans not working

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kraftwerk, May 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    the right and left fans do not come on and the engine getting to hot when standing checked the fuses and the fans are not ceased but need a pointer where to look next any help welcomed cheers

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    1. Check the relays. Swap like ones around when the engine is 190f - 210f . If your fans turn on after the swap, its your relays. If they do not turn on go to #2.

2. Make sure the 'hot water' is getting to the radiators. Remove the front wheel liners and feel for heat. If they are not hot it is your 'thermostat'. If they are hot go to #3

3. Find the "thermal" switch on the radiator(s), Pull the connector off and use a 'jumper' to short the two leads on the 'connector'. If the fans turn on, its the thermal switch. If the fans do not turn on then go to a shop :(

lkstaack likes this.
  3. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    mr goth speed as your name implies thanks for your quick reply will proceed in that order although as a novice any tips gratefully recieved cheers

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Check the fluid level as well. Low fluid level will mean the coolant is not touching the thermo switch in many cars.

5. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    dave where do i find the themo switch is it on the rads

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    having taken some of the leads of the assumed thermo the right hand side fan started workin for about 7 secs turned its self off for the same period then back on repeating. this wasnt enough time to cool as temp kept rising both rads are hot any more clues!! havnt yet jumped the leads as not sure which !!but i will attempt this are they on top right hand side right rad
    cheers

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    True I forgot that one ;). Fluid level should be checked.

The leads are in the "actual harness" that plugs into the radiators. Disconnect them. There sould only be two leads on the harness. Use some 'insulated' wire (so you don't shock yourself) and connect those two connectors on the harness. If your fans turn on, it is your thermal switches!! On my F355 that went out, they are cheap and do go out. Good luck!! :)

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 kraftwerk, May 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took of the thermo contact it is a 3 pin plug jumped 1 side right fan worked jumped other side left worked!! On the diagram which i cant figure out how to upload it is on (4re bob question about fans)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69873&highlight=cooling+fans+360

this was part number 9 if its no trouble could you possibly verify this is correct if not let me no what number on diagram cheers!!

I did notice that the right hand side fan came on for 7 secs when car heater fan was on like something the air con controlled it am out my depth since i ditched my 911

thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    You got it man!!! Its that #9 switch!!! :) :) Yeah I think at least one of the fans has a secondary trigger, like when the AC is switched on (maybe thats the third pin).
    If there is another thermoswitch (like #9) on the other radiator, change that one too!! Daniel or Dave at Ricambiamerica.com should have those. Good job :D :D!!

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have just checked the level it was down topped it up then got car ticking over as it was approaching working temp it started chucking the coolant out through the over flow pipe the rads were getting warm but maybe if the coolant gets to low before up to working heat the thermo switch will never get hot enough do you think the rad cap could be faulty....?

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your help am not 100% sure yet its the thermo switch although
    am getting a new one its because i dont think it should be chucking coolant out as posted on davehanda will keep updating thanks again for your interest

12. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    If your coolant level was low, you might need to bleed the system after topping up.

Also, you can check if the switch is working correctly by dipping it in boiling water and measure continuity with ohm meter.

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank you wiil try hot water my mate gotta ohm sweet ohm meter i think

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My right side (passenger side) air inlet (not where the grill goes, the small side inlet) is slightly hotter than the other side; makes me wonder if my fan is coming on or not. I'm thinking of doing some of these checks just to see if I can kick the fan on manually.

15. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth

The coolant is coming out the reservoire overflow?? Check your manual for the location of your temp sensor(s) for your gauge. That may tell you if the coolant is circulating as it should :eek:.

I am doing my best! I don't have a 360 :(!! Good luck and keep posting results or even pics!!!

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    listen your doin brill considering.. I have ordered a manuel i was told you needed a mechanic in the boot before a bought it but i gotta say this car would only be replaced for an 430.. I love it I was porsches biggest fan 6months ago !!
    any way back to my fault keep on the case as iam getting there iam loving it really coz it aint cost anything yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    So what are your latest findings?? I am still wondering if I should go 360 coupe.... from my F355.....

How do you like yours so far???

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Your cooling system is air locked. On the 360 they are almost impossible to bleed. By an Airlift from Ebay and use it.

19. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Iam not saying its the best engineered car as i think german cars are made better but as of now I wouldnt go back to a porsche as long as funds allow There is something about the 360 i love it!! to quote top gear presenter clarkson "Its like a scaled down version of god" he he
    In a way Iam sort of glad its a bit ill right now so as it stop me driving it thus keeping the miles off it I have no regrets yet!!
    The down side I fear is the maintance cost before i bought it £10k sterling had been spent on it... Its year is 2000
    As you have a 355 am sure you no the upkeep side of things Iam not sure but i would imagine the 360 is easier to maintain get one

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have been told this could be the case but something has started the problem should i assume this has been the rad themo switch cheers

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have no information how it started but diagnosis will not be possible until the known problems are fixed. Get the system properly filled then see about fan operation.

22. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I see where your coming from. I discovered the fault whilst stuck in traffic as long as the car is moving it stays cool so I assumed the fault lay with the fans not coming on not low level of coolant its chicken and egg which comes first but i agree with you to start with a airtight system first thanks again

23. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Is "airlift" what it's called, because I typed that into ebay out of curiosity, and I couldn't find it. I'm assuming it is a tool that bleeds cooling systems. Is it pretty straight forward to use? Thanks.

24. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Never mind about not being able to find it, it is on ebay. Thanks.

25. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    ^ Just an FYI, I would check your local auto parts stores for rentals before you buy one. I'm sure someone rents them since they are universal. Good luck.