360 Crank Bolt - Clockwise or anticlockwise? | FerrariChat

360 Crank Bolt - Clockwise or anticlockwise?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by car_nut, Sep 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. car_nut

car_nut Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Hugh McGowan
    #1 car_nut, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everyone, this will seem like a daft question but I'm unsure how to get the crankshaft bolt out of my 360 F1 Modena. (Yes, I have blocked crankshaft rotation with a lever bolted onto the flywheel bolt-holes, since I removed the gearbox and clutch.) I assumed I should turn teh crank bolt anticlockwise to loosen it, but no joy, apart from building up my muscles. Then it was suggested to me that it might be one of those that comes loose by turning it clockwise, the same as the forward rotation of the crank. Can anyone remember which way it goes? Thanks in advance for any tip. My arms will be grateful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrari.ace

ferrari.ace Karting

May 25, 2006
    So.Cal.
    Full Name:
    Adam Cox
    Front pulley bolt is removed counter clockwise.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    normal bolt, I use a 3ft 1/2" drive breaker bar and a sixpoint short wall 32mm impact socket. it takes ALOT to break it loose. I had a 355 where even using the impact wouldn't get it loose I had to heat it up with a torch, previous mechanic used loctite.

4. dggferrari

dggferrari Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    Sausalito,CA
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe Di Gennaro
    Counter clockwise, 36 mm socket and some muscle, its installed with thread locker. Torque to reinstall, 196 Nm.

5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Ferrari specifically states the bolt is to be installed with loctite (Arexon 151)
    Generally it will come loose with a long breaker bar or impact gun without to much trouble.

6. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    FOA used about a 5' breaker bar to loosen mine; protruding it through the bottom of the car.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I use an 18 inch breaker bar.

Never had a problem.

Its only about 145lbs. Thats only about twice wheel torque.

8. dggferrari

dggferrari Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    Sausalito,CA
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe Di Gennaro
    196 Nm equals about 145 lbs-ft. Sorry i can't think in standard, i grew up in Italy and metric system its what i know......

9. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    You mean counterclockwise?

10. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Wow, you must have a really small impact gun to fit in there! I use big old Snap-on breaker bar and have never had problems. Sometimes they are tight all the way untill the end if a Tech's gone a bit crazy with the thread-lock.

Onlineautosservice likes this.
  11. car_nut

car_nut Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Hugh McGowan
    As for having 'a small impact gun' (as my ex- used to say), I was under the car in a low-roof garage with a weird contraption of gun, extension bars, flexible joints and well, let's just say that I was embarassing myself. So thank you for all the tips and yes, a 3 foot breaker bar inside the cabin did the job nicely. I feel a Homer Simpson moment coming on, as I should have tried that earlier. But yes, the previous mechanic went overboard on the loctite so that's a good excuse. Keep on wrenching...

12. eme1969

eme1969 Rookie

Apr 27, 2011
    Holland (NL)
    losen with flat 36 mm socket, reinstall 2 new chain belts and re-tighten bolt (re-use) with 196nm on a 360. block toothwheel on clutch underneat with self made block tool. >> easy to make.
    agreed?