360 - 360 Dash bubbling | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360 Dash bubbling

Discussion in '360/430' started by devil boy, Nov 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So if you aren’t a DYI’er, who does this sort of work?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You need a competent upholstery shop. I have a guy I use here but ask around in the regional forum and at some events. There will be someone that most everyone uses because of the work and ability to match the leather. R&R for the dash can be done by most any competent mechanic.

one4torque likes this.
  3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I believe, there is a combination of issues that occur, one for sure the leather shrinks over time, thus pulling on the foam that it is glued to and thus loosens the grip on the dash housing. I also believe that being the dash is leather, that when treating your interior leather with a good conditioner periodically, you should do the dash as well. This would keep the dash leather supple and less subjective to shrinking. I usually do my interior 2-3 times a yr - liberally applying the conditioner to all the leather areas. I feel this helps the issues mentioned in the thread.....not sure if it prevents it forever, but mine is a 2003, so far so good!

Also related to stretching the leather and trying to fix the issues, i would assume that it would be best to switch up some new leather if you have the dash out. This is a little tricky as the orig dashes had some pretty nice stitching that contoured to the dash lines.

Pic of my dash on installation at the factory in 2003

Image Unavailable, Please Login

one4torque and Maine57S1 like this.
  4. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    In my case, I did not have to remove the leather except for just a few inches back from forward edge. The foam had sort of rolled and bunched for just a few inches so I removed that bad foam and laid in and glued the new foam in carefully matching the edges. Stretched and held the leather down as described before and it worked perfectly. Removing the entire leather piece and then re-attaching it would be difficult and not sure that it is needed. The problem starts when the plastic vents pop loose. I think that if you install the metal vents as soon as you see the plastic vents pop loose, little stretching will be necessary to get it back into place.

rizzo308, Husker and brookliner7 like this.
  5. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Yeah, no way around having to deal with this at some point. I learned the hard way driving the car in the summer and seeing the dash leather pucker up/defrost vents get sticky and warp. Over the winter/inside heated garage the dash leather and vents return to normal positions. So, I’ll have it all redone at some point, but likely not soon....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    This will finish the project off nicely!

7. ml65

ml65 Karting

Jun 22, 2009
    Farmingdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike L.
    I actually have a small bubble forming on the airbag part of the dash, has anyone worked on that area before?
    So far the rest of the dash is in good shape.

8. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Several posts on how to fix that.