360 Detailed Manual Transmission Conversion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Detailed Manual Transmission Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by AleGJ, Apr 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Have you changed the scraper ring?

I leak tested mine and it sealed well. However; I bought a set for future purpose as they tend to leak and will leave a mess...

2. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    It would be most generous if you could compile a list of part name, numbers, and source. I'm dead serious to convert my 360 F1.

Samiare likes this.
  3. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Great job on the conversion

4. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    That would really help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samiare likes this.
  5. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Well... no.
    I didn't know these can leak. The only thing I can say is that there were no evident traces of previous leaks, so fingers crossed.
    I'm gonna follow your suggestion anyway and buy the spares just in case.

Yeah no problem, at the end of the thread I can do it .

6. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Considering my CV boots heatshields were not in a very good shape, I decided to fix and improve them.

First of all I disassembled the shields taking away the metal brackets and then I made some fiberglass reinforcement.
    Then I applied some epoxy putty to have a better surface for the next step.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

At this point I applied this product:

As you can see it's a heat reflective material. I've already used it in another car and all I can say is a very nice product.

So, beside having two better looking heatshields (IMHO), I hope my CV boots will stay healthy a little bit longer.

Here is the finished product, with the mounting brackets reinstalled using new rivets:

RANDY6005 and Mickster like this.
  7. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Well, if they leak they will leave a mess. You can clearly tell when they are shot just by looking at the right side of the gearbox.
    Good idea to have’em lying around for future porposes.

8. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Ok it's time for a new clutch.

This is my flywheel with the usual heat marks:

Here it's back from the resurfacer guy with the new clutch and pressure plate ready to be installed:

And here we go with everything bolted up, as you see I used the Hill centering tool:

As my car is a late model I already have the upgraded 6 bolts ring gear for the starter motor.

Time for some fun facts: :D :D :D

After that I finally put the gearbox back into the car and fit the new upper bush:

The day before, to make everything easier, I put the new bush in my refrigerator and before fitting it I heated up the gearbox casting with the blow torch.
    Some WD40 gave me even more help :)

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Nice work. I've put parts in the freezer overnight but with a micrometer could not measure any real difference. Liquid nitrogen is a different story! Heating things up makes a big difference though.

10. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    #35 AleGJ, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Bowden cables bolted to the gearbox actuators:

And the gated selector in place to fine tune the Bowden cables length:

To fill up the gearbox I used Pakelo Global Gear DLS 75w90.
    I've never used this oil before, but I've had only super positive feedbacks so I wanna give it a try

Look at this beauty:

The shift knob is brand new by the way...

And finally the interior is all back together:

The only thing missing are the two steering column covers as they were badly sticky so I'm trying to fix them out.
    I'm not considering to have all the interior rubber coated parts redone for the moment because, incredible to say, mine are in a very good shape and almost still not sticky at all.
    The covers are different between Manual and F1 as the F1 version have the cutouts for the paddles.
    That is why I have to use the ones from the donor car that unfortunately were in a terrible shape.

Mickster likes this.
  11. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    These are all the F1 parts that I took out of the car, carefully packed and catalogued:

I also took plenty of pictures documenting pretty much everything.
    I think that with the experience I made in the manual conversion process, in the remote case I need to go back to the F1 transmission I will be able to do the job in 4-5 days.

12. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Now that the work on the transmission is almost done it's time for some routine service.
    Let's start with the belts:

While I was there I replaced the 2 tensioners bearings with the improved version from Hill.
    I inspected the cam seals as well. The right one was perfect, but the left one is starting to leak a little bit. Is something really really minor, so I decided to leave it as it is now.
    Maybe in three years when I will be in for another belt change I'll bring the car to an official Ferrari shop and have them changed.

Fresh oil:

And now new coolant using the vacuum method as explained by Voicey on his awesome website:

I must say that this method is fast and quite effective.

It's actually time to reassemble the last bits and start it up!

becir1, RoadTo458 and Mickster like this.
  13. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Nice work!

I’m not quite finished with mine yet... Taking my time and doing a bunch of other ”need to” while I’m in there.

One thing I have tried to source is the AMP connector (driver side behind panel), see pic.
    Supposedly it’s the same as Harley Davidson uses on a few models, but I have not been able to find which model it is. Probably a cheap part too..?

Do you have any idea as where to source from?

14. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    I've learned that these connectors are "Multilock 070".

So you have to look for a Multilock 070 4 way male connector (the Multilock 070 series comes in 2-4-6 and more terminals choice).

I've sourced mine from an Italian eBay shop that sells everything related to car electrics, and I'm quite sure they ship internationally, at least in Europe.
    As I can see you are from Sweden.. is that right?

I can PM you a link to that specific connector in their eBay shop (I don't know if the board rules allow to post in public threads direct links to eBay sellers)

Mickster likes this.
  15. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Yep! Crazy Swede here!

A lonk would be great. TIA!

16. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    This morning I started up the car.... and I am very happy (and proud TBH) to say that everything went as expected.

This is the actual situation of the instrument cluster:

As you can see it says there is a transmission failure and it shows a dash on the gear display. All is as planned, and now the only remaining thing to do is to have the cluster reflashed to manual transmission specs.

I have already spoken to an official dealer and they said they've never done that before, but anyway they should be able to do it. In the worst case they will send it to the factory.

Let's see, because I've already looked at some alternative solutions.

Anyway finally I took her for a spin and my only comment is..... SPEECHLESS.
    Now I can say I have a proper Ferrari (in the "romantic" way, if you know what I mean).
    Every blimp of the throttle during downshifts was a mystic experience :D

And the clutch is a lot softer than expected... well... than I remembered, because I drove a manual 360 something like 12 years ago.

This is 100% the best thing I could have done to my car, period.

Now the bad things... but at least not related at all to the conversion.

During my ride one of the front right caliper pistons seized in the extended position. At least I was able to go back home as a very nice guy stopped by offering help.
    He really saved my day because as I don't have the spare wheel option I don't have a jack too.
    Ironically I was already thinking to buy a small screw jack to keep in the trunk "just in case".
    Anyway that nice guy borrowed me his screw jack so I was able to take out the wheel and move the seized piston with a screwdriver.
    After trying several times to pump on the brake pedal, It seemed that it would stay free so I very carefully tried to go home and everything went smooth.

I then took out the caliper to find out that one of the dust seals was in very bad shape:

With time this for sure allowed brake dust and dirt to seize the piston.
    This is one of the classical thing that happens if you don't drive a car very often.

Cars are exactly like women, If you don't touch them regularly.. somehow you're gonna pay for that :p

So now I have a great excuse to have all four calipers refurbished!

17. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Tip of the day: Francorchamps of America CSN help you.
    Rod is not the most communicative person you have met but he certainly has the knowledge.

Shouldn’t you also have the ECU’s changed to manual mode?

18. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
  19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ha. Very true.

20. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Great thread. As an owner of a 6MT 360, I know why you want to do this conversion. Glad to see everything worked out great!

And as someone said in another thread earlier; You are returning this car to it's orginal state. 360 was designed firstly to be a stickshift car.

one4torque, AleGJ and Caphill like this.
  21. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    This is a great thread, really enjoy reading things like this.

22. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I love seeing conversions like yours. The car world gets slightly better every time an F1 360 gets converted to manual.

AleGJ and Mikael-F360 like this.
  23. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Hmm I like your theory but don’t the converts get the gate and stick from a wrecked gated 360?

24. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I think it is awesome that someone takes the time, effort, and cost to undertake such a project. I wish I had in me to do this.

25. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Sure as s..t won’t get them parts from anyone converting a manual to an F1... ;)