360 - 360 Engine tapping sound solved after 6 years. | FerrariChat

360 360 Engine tapping sound solved after 6 years.

Discussion in '360/430' started by BZagorski, Aug 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BZagorski

BZagorski Rookie

Oct 30, 2015
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ben Zagorski
    I bought my 2004 360 red/tan spider with gated shifter in 2014 from a Ferrari Dealership in Florida. I commented on the tapping sound coming from the engine and they told me that 360s have noisy engine and it was normal. I took their word and bought the car. It did not have any performance issues just a tapping sound. Later I took to the shop that works on most of the Ferraris in the Cleveland OH Area. He heard the sound but could not isolate it. In March I took it to NJB Automotive In Westerville OH. Kevin is the head mechanic. I Told them my story and my thoughts dealing with it for 6 years and where I thought the problem was. I though it was from the intake manifold butterfly valves. I got my information from a Aldousvoice.com from the UK. Kevin at NJB carefully eliminated items like exhaust leaks and valves. That left the intake manifold. He found there was wiggle room in one of the butterfly valves. Hurray! Found it. They replaced the manifold. Now the cars sounds like it should.

SoftwareDrone, Plainview and chenglo1 like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Congrats. Mine makes a slight noise as well.

I wonder if there is a service kit avail for the shafts, of is only solution a new intake?

3. BZagorski

BZagorski Rookie

Oct 30, 2015
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ben Zagorski
    You can source the valves and bushings. It takes some digging and I am not sure about the labor but I know you can find them.

imahorse and one4torque like this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ben- this fix is on my list. Might pick up a used intake for this purpose.

Sure seems like there is a demand for a Ferrari specialty shop that refurbished serviceable items:;

Ac comp
    Water pump
    Intake butterfly shafts
    Etc
    Etc…

chenglo1 likes this.
  5. Suprazed

Suprazed Rookie

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Zia Khan
    Did you buy a new or used manifold and was the approximate parts cost?

6. BZagorski

BZagorski Rookie

Oct 30, 2015
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ben Zagorski
    It was a used Manifold they said that there was not a new one out there. Those that said they had one one their website when you called they did not have one. I have been told that the older manifolds are better than the newer ones. I do not have the source for that. You can find one through Ebay and places that deal with used parts. Make sure you get some detail of the car that it came from. You do not want one where the engine bay was hit in a accident. I think you can find one from $1,000.00 to $3,500.00 depending what comes with it. Good Luck.

one4torque and Suprazed like this.
  7. BZagorski

BZagorski Rookie

Oct 30, 2015
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ben Zagorski
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m going to pu a used unit and install new bushings. Voicey says these bushings are standard Weber carb parts.

Qavion and BZagorski like this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just bought a used 360 lower intake from a 2000 my spider for 500 shipped.

I might get lucky and used unit butterfly are tight.

Or I’ll rebuild w Weber parts. Then next service I’ll swap the oil/coolant heat exchanger, and intake.

BZagorski and EastMemphis like this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Pardon op for jumping in here. Just noting I have same issues.

your success motivated me to address my rattle!

Dep on how difficult the rebushing job turns out I might offer an exchange option in the future. I see a retirement vocation shaping up here ;)

chenglo1 and AandSC like this.
  11. anotherred360

anotherred360 Karting

Jan 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    CTJ
    Were you able to fix it? I've isolated my ticking noise to the linkage under the intake.

12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I have always had the butterfly valves rattle a bit when first started on my 2002 360.

For 1 to 3K for a replacement intake assembly, I will now enjoy the clicking but would not mind replacing the carb bushings if that is all it takes.