360 Engine Trouble / maybe crankshaft | FerrariChat

360 Engine Trouble / maybe crankshaft

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MD355, Aug 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    The other day I took my 2002 Ferrari 360 manual on a drive and coming back home cruising at 30 mph in 3rd gear I hear some vibration from engine/transmission.
    As I got home, I parked the car and switched the engine off and again there was some awkward vibration as the engine shut down.
    Engine Temp, Oil pressure were all fine !!
    Immediately I checked oil level and found that it was low, so I added 1 liter of engine oil.
    I called my mechanic to ask him about this, and once I mentioned that I checked and added oil with engine shut off, he started yelling at me and told me to bring the car on Monday immediately to remove the excess oil, because you are not supposed to add oil with engine off.

I drove the car 4 miles with engine below 3000 rpm to prevent damage, and once I took it to the mechanic he remove 1 liter of oil and checked again.

I told him about the vibration and we found that when I start / stop engine with clutch depressed, no vibration. When the clutch pedal is released, there is vibration.

I drove the car around and each time I came to traffic light, there was vibration.

He took the car in and told me he would investigate the issue. He fears something wrong with crankshaft !!!!!! My car has only 40000 miles !!!!!!!!

(he told me I was lucky that I am observant and did not drive the car around with the vibration that could ruin the engine)

Any thought ????

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    if your engine runs fine with the clutch depressed, probably not the crank shaft but maybe something to do with the clutch / pressure plate components.

phrogs and MD355 like this.
  3. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    This just sounds......well......a bit off.....
    NO engine has a problem with a capacity issue of a liter in either direction: so the alarms are all sounding from right there.....I suggest you seek another opinion
    ADSAP...

4. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    No no, just to be clear, the potential damage is not from the overfill. The overfill was the reason I went to my mechanic, and we noticed the vibrations...

On the 360 modena if you overfill the engine by 1 liter, once you warm it up and step on it, you can indeed do damage to the engine !!

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Who told you this? I'm going to suggest you find a different mechanic, or a least get a second opinion.

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Worst case with over fill by a liter, oil is sucked into the intake and burned through the engine. It would do this at a pretty slow rate as the oil returned to the tank and some oil was drawn into the intake instead of just vapor.

I don't think it's the crankshaft either. Sounds like something in the transaxle.

7. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    MD355 likes this.
  8. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I think your mechanic is thinking of "crankwalk" (search it on Google....big problem for Mitsu in the mid-late 90's and the MKIV Supra's to a lesser extent), however the symptoms are not what you describe. Get a second opinion, but betting money it is clutch related.

MD355 likes this.
  9. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Hmm interesting.
    You were previously unaware of the appropriate oil level check / fill procedure, but now you are certain that "if you overfill the engine by 1 liter, once you warm it up and step on it, you can indeed do damage to the engine !!" ?

I think it is highly unlikely that you have a bad crankshaft issue.
    There are many other potential failures to investigate prior to assuming it is a bad crank.

I suggest you follow the advice of several posters above and gather 2nd / 3rd informed opinions.

Good luck.

Craig

10. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Tomorrow I am going to see what my mechanic found !!

In the meantime, I am 100% certain that if you overfill the engine you get in trouble with the 360.
    The worst than can happen is hydrolock the engine (fluids cannot be compressed) and the engine breaks.
    The least than can happen (it happened to me in 2014 when at a gas station we checked the oil with low temperature and overfilled) when the oil warms up , and you step on the gas, the solenoid that returns vapors back to the intake can fill up and it blows up everything behind the intake manifold. It happened to me in 2014 and even though there was no damage (just blew off the throttle bodies) it was a mess to clean up !!!

No the question, is if I knew that, why did I overfill ??
    I guess, I messed up again !!
    Even though the engine was very warm, I forgot to check with engine running...

This time, I managed to drive slowly (below 3000 rpm) a small distance to my mechanic, so there was no blow up..

However, now I expect to hear about the damage... I will keep you posted !!

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That does not happen from 1 litre but several.
    Might want to put a decal on the oil cap "check while running"
    Could get a metal engraved one with a chain so it does not look stupid
    I also think the crank is not the prblem and likely clutch

MD355 likes this.
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ha, my oil was overfilled when I first got my car. Removed almost a quart with my "invention", then cleaned out the manifold. Any word on your motor? I always get freaked out with threads like this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MD355 likes this.
  13. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Loose flywheel

MD355 likes this.
  14. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    So my friends, get ready some big surprises !!! Sit back and enjoy the show !!!

I was unlucky, but at the same time the LUCKIEST FERRARI OWNER for SURE !!!

My mechanic showed me that all 8 of the bolts holding the flywheel to the engine had sheared off, and by pure luck the flywheel did not get thrown off its position with HUGE (Donald Trump HUGE) damage to the engine and transmission , and who know what might have happened , like loss of control at high speed !!!

The broken bolts were removed with a LOT OF DIFFICULTY , and with less than $10 in parts my car will very soon be fixed.

Now enough with the talk, let the pictures do the talking !!!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Did you have flywheel work done to your car before this? Those flywheel bolts are ... one time used. BTW, it will be more than $10.

16. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    What do you mean "one time used" ?

For sure will be MUCH MORE than $10...
    The cost for new bolts was about $1 per bolt...
    That was the point I was making...
    I never had a flywheel replaced or any work done there besides clutch replacement, that I believe does not involve removal of flywheel, right ??

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I looked up the cost and I was blown away, it's only $1.25 each.

Due to the tremendous torque and critical application, most flywheel bolts are replaced once they are removed. If you re-use them, they don't hold torque.

Look for record of rear main seal replacement due to leaks... if they did not replace the bolts, this could have happened. This engine puts our 400hp... you always replace the $1 bolts.

MD355 likes this.
  18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Unusual for those bolts to sheer off.

19. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    We had two instances of a flywheel coming loose on a rally car. The first was eventually tracked back to a cracked block- it was a 3 main bearing motor and the front main wasn't doing much. 3 days of rallying with all manner of things dropping off the car before it finally went 'bang' properly. The second time, slightly too long flywheel bolts were used- they bottomed in the crankshaft. So when they were torqued up, everything seemed fine but they weren't clamping the flywheel enough. The result of that was pretty much exactly like the pictures above. Genuine bolts should mean this isn't a possibility- often there is a disc 'washer' under them though- that could be needed. I always use locktite on flywheel bolts too...

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have seen this on other cars, but never a ferrari of any year. This is odd for sure.

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Those bolts were either too tight or too loose. I suspect an impact gun was used to put them on. You dodged a bullet there.

virendra, tbakowsky and MD355 like this.
  24. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Tim - I think you are correct. The bolts exhibit tensile failure which was probably a result of too much preload (or someone re-used the flywheel bolts and stretched them even more trying to achieve torque) and then failed through cyclic fatigue (they began to loose torque and then came loose and broke).

virendra and MD355 like this.