360 F1 Clutch Replacement | FerrariChat

360 F1 Clutch Replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by KVerow, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just received a quote for a full F1 Clutch Replacement for my 01 360 Spider from my local independent shop. Labor was $3K and parts were $7K. When I look at Ricambi and Eurospares, the price of a clutch kit is in the $2700-$3,000 USD range, what am I missing? I have a call into the shop for additional details but any insights on what others have paid would be helpful. Location in Northeast United States.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

because the shop has to make money on parts, too.
    its just a business basics.
    US prices are generally higher than european prices for parts.

3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The eurospares clutch kit is even lower if you skip the flywheel and resurface your current one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    $7000 seems exorbitant for the parts. Maybe politely tip them off to Racambi. Maybe they're getting them from some other higher price source.

5. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The flywheel was already resurfaced once, not sure you can resurface it twice...

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Complete clutch change includes Clutch Kit, New Flywheel(If resurfacing not an option), Clutch Position Sensor, Thrust Bearing, seals etc etc etc. All the other "while I am there" marginal parts. I know from painful experience!

7. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    I have an 01 360 needing a clutch in the next year as well. I’ve been looking at options and found a shop in Chicago for $6700 (parts + labor) that’s been used by others on FChat as well and comes highly recommended. That price does not include the flywheel. $10K seems pretty steep.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I'd get your own clutch kit. But there's a lot of "while i'm in there" type of things as mentioned.

My car is in the process of a Timing Belt, and Clutch Replacement at the moment too. Lots of "while i'm in there" hoses, and all those other things. Those add up, lol.

9. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    That Eurospares clutch kit is very complete. Excellent value for money - it's every nut, bolt, bearing, seal and moving part even the ring gear. I have this very kit in my car, purchased the kit myself and had the local dealer fit it. $5k all up including replacing a few other bits and pieces like engine and transmission mounts.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just got this info a few minutes ago from a friend. Clutch parts from Ferrparts $2900, additional parts 600, and labor @ RTGT 2000. $5500 total. Am assuming flywheel not included (that's additional $1800). Labor was "cheap" bec the dealer had $99/hr promo during Covid.

6 years ago, I was quoted $5600 for clutch change (labor and parts) plus $1800 for flywheel for my 360.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't own a 360, I am asking this question for a friend who does (and is not a member here).

He has to replace his rear main seal due to a leak, but while he has the back end apart he is considering doing the clutch. 1999 360 F1 transmission. He is asking if he does just the disc, does he have to re-calibrate and/or do a TCU learn? Sorry if I botched the terminology, I am trying to post here how he worded it and I may not have said this right (should have wrote it all down).

thanks in advance to any insight

12. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    You can't just throw a disk in there, all the clutch parts are worn together. A new disk between 2 worn parts would have a very short life. Also the computer would still need to be recalibrated or it would drive like crap if it even drove at all.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok thank you for this info, I will pass it on.

14. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    Typically no. There is very little material to work with.

15. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    How many have you personally done?

16. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Don't forget: when installing a new clutch on a 360, you will have to replace engine oil. Best to time the clutch when engine oil is due.

Also, you'll likely need the upper transmount replaced if it has not been updated to the 430 style. Notorious to go bad which can cause some severe bucking when pushing the card hard.

If the upper transmount is bad, check engine mounts since they would be next to go bad.

17. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That sounds like a dealer parts price. Very similar to what I was quoted. I opted for the Ricambi kit with Hill Engineering parts.

KC360 FL and one4torque like this.
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yup- sounds like the shop just called f dealership.

19. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    this is the right number, I just paid $6700