360 - 360 F1 Gearbox Transmission not selecting gear - No Error Lights 430 Stradale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 360 F1 Gearbox Transmission not selecting gear - No Error Lights 430 Stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by spiderscott, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Mine’s done it once....
    It was whilst rolling down a slight incline in 2nd gear using engine braking.
    The TCU doesn’t like it as it can’t work out what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Angus ferrier

Angus ferrier Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Angu ferrier
    did it one before but as alarm module was starting to fail replaced it. it stalled both times when going from 2nd to 1st . the clutch was replaced not long ago and when replaced alarm module dealer put it on the diagnostic machines and checked transmission also got them to get f1 transmission to self learn it gears.

3. Angus ferrier

Angus ferrier Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Angu ferrier
    mike is that just one of the quirks they have ? so when you slow down don't keep confusing the tcu when it going to change from 2nd to 1st by having foot on accelerator

4. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Well done! I'm a big DIY guy and honestly the thought of F1 work terrifies me.

spiderscott likes this.
  5. jg360

jg360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Gurrieri
    It wasn’t broken it was just leaking

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

spiderscott likes this.
  6. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    #31 becir1, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Scott maybe you can pierce or press in a new pin of the right size out of stainless steel.

7. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    The pin has to be installed with the holder inside the barrel otherwise it can’t be assembled.
    I’m curious to know how it’s held in place. It shouldn’t need to be a real interference fit at it can’t slide out once the actuator is fully assembled.

Another thought....is the failure just simple fatigue or is it a symptom of something else e.g. misalignment caused by a faulty engagement position sensor?
    If it tries to rotate with the engagement out of alignment it will put a lot of force on those pins?

8. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

imahorse and billy.gif like this.
  9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Replacement just arrived today.
    Thanks very much Aldous (AV engineering).

It’s from a Maserati actuator, but identical to the one in Ferrari.

becir1 likes this.
  10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Few more side by side

I’m not sure if the pin is tapered in the middle, both snapped parts have three uniform grooves. Can tell if this has happened due to stress during break or manufactured that way. Could be to flare it in the mid section to hold into the barrel centre shuttle ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

becir1 likes this.
  11. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    Hi scott!
    Thanks for sharing your work with us!
    I noticed that the slots work in reverse.
    Maybe you should previously press in the installed state by hand to make sure that it works.
    I hope it works.
    Is the Maserati cam used or new?

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    You are 100% correct, well spotted. Ive been looking at it to and the opposite direction slot will send the cam in the reverse direction i.e Up instead of Down.

Makes total sense as the Maserati Actuator is virtually the same as the Ferrari one but upside down.

becir1 likes this.
  13. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    #39 becir1, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    oh my god this is terrible.
    Is there no way to exchange the middle piece?
    It looks like the pin in the Maserati part was subsequently hammered, I think a saw cut at the end of the pin to recognize. Maybe you can gently heat the pin out of the Maserati cam and knock it out. and then hit the pin in the Ferrari cam.

14. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Well I like to see it that we have learnt something and the Maserati part is not interchangeable. To be honest that was for me to do a quick fix on the Stradale while working out a way to manufacture the pin for others in the future.

Plan B is now to fix my broken one.

billy.gif and becir1 like this.
  15. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    I think that these 3 grooves in the middle of the pin is a breaking point, so that the finger when inserting the gear does not damage the gear if in the gear something stuck. If its really this way you cant use any stainless steel (as i mentioned above in post 33) to exchange the pin cuz you might break something else in your transmission or Actuator. I wonder if everything is ok with your transmission? It is of course possible that the pin is broken because of age. Maybe you should drive up the rear of the car and turn the rear wheel while the individual gears by hand on the transmission through to exclude that it is not the transmission. Otherwise, the new pin would break again in a jammed gear or gearbox.

16. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I looked closely at the working Maserati unit and couldn’t see this marks. As you can see in the picture you highlight they are easily visible on my broken pin and protrude past the actual barrel body.

Good point regarding gears, I’ll run some checks to test. My gut feel is this is due to age and bad weak design. My car has been a daily driver for 9 years and it’s driven harder than most 99% of the time in ‘race’ mode.

17. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    We need to see a good one (and no I’m not taking mine apart yet!) to see if the pins are designed to shear.
    If the hydraulics tried to select whist still partially engaged (like trying to go from 1st to 3rd without going into neutral on a manual) it could over-stress the part.
    Could it be the symptom not the cause? Eg it could be one of the position sensors faulty but that is easily testable when back together before the actuator goes back on the box.

That said I do think in all probability it’s just age/fatigue.

A good spot about the slot.
    Is it possible to drift the pin out and swap the part over?
    How are the remains held in the old part? Could that give a clue?

18. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    I think the markings are missing because that is not the original Maserati pin. In your picture you can see a sawn pin.
    Probably the same thing happened to the Maserati with the pin like you. That's why the pin does not look like the one in the Ferrai cam. Image Unavailable, Please Login

mike01606 likes this.
  19. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I think you’re probably spot on .....it does look like it might have been cut or dressed with a file unless they are just witness marks.
    Looking at the broken pin it’s probably just swaged in the middle to hold it in. If so the remnants should drift out or worst case drilled out and then it should be possible to fabricate a replacement to get you away again....

becir1 likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is far too hard a pin (or at least it should be) to do that with a file. It was an inelegant grinding job.

becir1 and mike01606 like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The pins are knurled sort of to hold them in place. I doubt getting it out of the center shaft and swapping it is too difficult.

22. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    #48 becir1, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    You could do it that way too.
    I would drill out the pin holder with a drill press.
    The pin has a diameter of about 5 mm I would put in the middle of the broken pin in the pin holder with a center punch a point. And drill with a 3 mm drill, leaving a ring with a thickness of 1 mm. Now the ring should be easier to knock out with caution.

23. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    ---------

This is the correct procedure from the WSM

24. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I spoke with an expert yesterday who rebuilds these Actuators for Ferrari's Lambo's and Maserati. He said he rarely sees the 360 ones fail (good news for the rest of you with 360 variants).

He explained original pin has the 3 marks intentionally, this is because the centre part has a slightly larger diameter than either end and that's the way the pin is manufactured.

He has supplied me with an upgraded titanium stronger pin that he has developed.

The great news is I've explained what i'm doing here with my investigation as to why these extremely expensive actuators fail and trying to throw some light on it for everyone. Also my intention to work with someone to manufacture the pin and refurb kit. He has agreed to supply the pins he has created and ship worldwide.

Next I will attempt the removal of the old broken centre from the shuttle and refit the replacement. I'll verify everything works for me. Hopefully if this fix goes well that will include a 800 mile round trip to Le Mans France next month.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login