360 F1 pump install in the 355 | FerrariChat

360 F1 pump install in the 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by windsock, Oct 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    #1 windsock, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Pretty nice. Any "before" pictures for comparisons sake?

3. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Is that mine, Mark?

That new 360 pump in my 355 is amazing. Pressurizes instantly with no waiting for the system to complete it's cycle before the car will start.

Mark is the best, guys!! I highly recommend his services. :)

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Interesting, can you tell us what is involved to fit it? :):)

5. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Very important development since so many are afraid of the dreaded $16K pump replacement phobia. Great job. Love to hear more about the level of effort and how it's working out now that it's installed.

6. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Very nice work!!! that's the way to go now IF a pump is needed...

Blampee - can't we start the 355 before the pump is pressurized, if you leave the car in 'N'? I guess I never tried, I always instinctively wait until the pump stops before turning the key to minimize the load on the battery.

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Anyone have an old F1 pump they want to send me? ;);)

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#8 Ricambi America, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    It was done with a combination of F1 pump 213264 and a new release from Hill Engineering. (Referred to as 'pump adapter block' or 'mounting plate'). I have not written up the full documentation, but you can see the photos sent from FoSeattle here:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/pages.php?cID=2&pID=18

Client must provide the bracket to place the new pump in position, but the mounting tabs on 213264 make it fairly easy. Brock's photos also show heat sink 213264-A in place.

Mark @ Seattle was instrumental in the process.

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Isn't this pretty much SOP for F1 replacement in these cars now?

10. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Great work guys!!

This is excellent news for 355F1 owners, even if it's never required...

11. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I usually leave mine in Neutral when I park it and you are correct it will start just fine before the pump is done running.

12. CarlFox99

CarlFox99 Karting

Sep 8, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carl Fox
    #12 CarlFox99, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    My 1999 Ferrari 355F1 is at Ferrari of ATL. The F1 Pump Motor is bad. We have ordered the adapter block from Ricambi and have a replacement 360 F1 Pump motor as well. They are struggling, as there are no written instructions on how to fit it- make it work. They state there is a hose which needs to be replaced as part of the process. They will be contacting Ferrari of SEATTLE for guidance. Please advise if you have an written procedure or directions. Will share pictures with this community.

Thank you very much,
    Carl

13. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#13 BLAMPEE, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    I have a whole bunch of photos Mark took throughout the install.

With his permission I can email them to you. What is your email address? PM me if necessary.

14. CarlFox99

CarlFox99 Karting

Sep 8, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carl Fox
  15. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    #15 Robin, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Fernando + Richard > God.

Is that sacrilegious? If so, I apologize in advance.

17. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've created a shrine to them in my home. Actually it's a stack of receipts 4 feet tall, but it's close enough :)

FYI, love the site Daniel. Even though there are thousands of parts for each car, it's amazingly simple to find each one with pictures and prices included. I was quickly able to get a rough idea of how much I was about to spend by simply skimming around and adding up all the pieces. The result is that I shat myself at home rather than on their nice leather couch, which is bad form in most situations.

18. CarlFox99

CarlFox99 Karting

Sep 8, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Carl Fox
    Thanks for the pictures.. looks great.

Was a heat shield installed or required ? Installation on mine is in process right now !

Thank you again for posting and your consideration. My very best regards,
    Carl

19. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I don't think there was any kind of heat shield used. I'm not sure what the difference is between mine and the one in the first post though, which seems to have a heat sink on the pump.

20. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am thinking about doing this upgrade myself, my F1 is working fine but I am sure it would work even better based on the experiences of others here. After looking at what was posted so far it looks straight forward, fab a bracket, and make pressure and return lines. I see that the 360 uses a hardline between the pump and the control unit, part 186037 at Ricambi. Is that the hardline that was used in the swap, or was a custom one made up? If so, what is the fitting size and line diameter to use?

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've heard about this replacement technique, but isn't rebuilding the original an option too? I seem to recall a thread about someone that was doing it. I mention it in case someone searches for their options.

I would think, price wise, it would go:

New 355 pump>New 360 Pump>Rebuild 355 pump

22. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A 355 pump rebuild is an easy option, the brushes can be replaced and the commutator re-surfaced in a lathe, but in the end the 360 pump has more muscle, a 100% 360 pump will outdo a 100% 355 pump.

23. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mine should be going in any day now to the boys at Bradan for the swap. It will be there first so I'm sure lots of pictures will follow. I am nervous but based on the projects they have already tackled I'm sure this will be a breeze. What are those fins around the 360 pump in the first photo? Obviously they are cooling fins but are they necessary and where can I get them? Really looking forward to this cuz my current pump is on its last leg. It's taking 13 seconds to pressurize now upon start up. Way too long.

24. stnilsson

stnilsson Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    Helsingborg
    Full Name:
    Stefan Nilsson
  25. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I hope someone will document the pump swap and explain it in detail on the forum for DYI guys like me. Someone also needs to figure out how to fix the darn F1 actuator from leaking. I read a post somewhere that an owner fixed his for cheap however, he never bothered to explain it for anyone else.