360 F1 pump replacement | FerrariChat

360 F1 pump replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by djastral69, Mar 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    So how many people have had their F1 pump and relay switch replaced in their 360?

2. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    To answer your question, I have not had to do either, but the previous owner had it replaced under warranty.

Although this type of question keeps coming up, I think it would be good to have a poll so you can see not only how many people have had a problem, but also how many people have not had a problem. Only then can you get some rough statistics to understand does this affect 1 in 10 or 1 in 100. I would set a poll up, but I don't know how.

Not to hijack the thread, but does any know how to set a poll up?

3. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think that's a good idea.
    It is known that 360's have F1 failures, but we don't have any statistics on how common it is.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had mine replaced shortly after purchasing my car. A good rule of thumb and maybe overkill, but replace every 2 or 3 years to be safe. Do it with your belts, its an easy replacement.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #5 E60 M5, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Whenever you start a new thread, if you are subscribed member, you can see a question asking "Post a poll with this thread?". The question is located below the box where you do all the typing, near attachments and so on.

Only the OP can start a poll. Pretty easy and fun stuff.

6. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    What were your symptoms? Flashing F1 light? Was your relay a problem or did the pump just start to fail and the light started flashing, like mine.

7. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Sorry to bump up almost 9 year old topic but could not verify on my own:

I've heard that one can replace the F1-pump with Alfa Romeo Selespeed one, but is the Selespeed pump straight (100%) fit with 360 Modena? Or does it need modifying either car or pump (brackets or such)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-ORIGINAL-Alfa-Romeo-147-156-GT-Selespeed-Pump-51736315-Fits-F1-Gearbox-/172008018187

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm asking because mine will prime almost 15 seconds now (when car has been sitting for 2 weeks). Also I got 3 times briefly the dreaded gearbox light when I last took my bella out for a drive. Every time downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, hmm... ?

LorenzoR likes this.
  8. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Straight fit for the 360. No mods whatsoever....

John_K_348 and billy.gif like this.
  9. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Serious?
    The ferrari F1 pump is $700 on ricambi?!

This is awesomeness!

John_K_348 likes this.
  10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Mine has been fine for 9 years. I did add the heat sink from Ricambi when I got the car.

John_K_348 likes this.
  11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This has happened to me when I first got my '03 360 Spider. Like you, my initial thinking was the pump, but I decided to purge the F1 system with new oil and its been working fine since.

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve

John_K_348 likes this.
  13. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Unfortunately I already tried this. As my trusted independent did the major service to the car last spring also the F1-fluids were changed and system bled from any air.

John_K_348 likes this.
  14. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you sire.

John_K_348 likes this.
  15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Don't forget to replace the accumulator as well.

WATSON likes this.
  16. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Buy the alfa selespeed pump..perfect fit

John_K_348 and billy.gif like this.
  17. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Accumulator ... isn't that the very complex part which operates the gearbox with hydraulic pressure, around $3k part?

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No. It is apparently a consumable part that is often ignored and is the problem, not the pump. It is only a few hundred dollars. If you are replacing the pump, it seems it is reasonable to replace this at the same time. In fact it IS the problem for many, not the pump, due to improper diagnosis.

billy.gif likes this.
  19. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Question since we're on this topic, last year I had my system flushed and my mechanic would refill it and get it dialed in per the dip stick only to have the system back flow and we would end up with a puddle underneath the car. Initial investigating seems like we have some seals failing in preventing backflow in the system that would require a rebuild of the entire system. Anyone else experience this? Or is what I'm reading above a possible solution by just replacing the pump?

I am no expert in the f1 system so I have no clue if what I'm saying is how the system works.... Car goes in this spring for annual service and just looking for things for us to get into.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If it's filled with the accumulator primed, when the accumulator dis charges, the level will go high and likely spill out.

21. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    This^^

The accumulator stores F1 under pressure.
    The level should only be checked with the system has just fully primed and that leaves enough space for the fluid to flow back in.
    Forget the dipstick, it should be a few mm above the plate inside the reservoir when fully primed (door open, ignition turned on).

You’ll be amazed how many get this wrong.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mike,

I believe you have this reversed. I check my level (in my 355) when the system is discharged. When the system is charged, the accumulator will take some volume and the tank level will be lower. Once it discharges, the level will go up.

I made this video for Doug last night:

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  24. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    were
    Dave, hate to disagree with you but .....
    Mike is correct.....
    see attached bulletin

Attached Files:

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The real answer is that you overflowed because you over filled and the dipstick is WRONG. The level is set as a specific distance from the top of the reservoir. Most mechanics have a bent straw like thing they hang over the edge to suck excess and set the level but you can do it with a ruler as well.