360 f1 transmission | FerrariChat

360 f1 transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carl4emaj, Feb 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    can anyone explain why the f1 transmission would just decide at some point during auto shifting up to just jump to neutral or even when you are paddle shifting seems to happen when under load acceleration .

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lots of possibilities but the top of the hit parade is that the clutch is DOA.

tazz99 and 2NA like this.
  3. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    i forgot to mention the car is a 2000 with 16,500 miles on it in 2004 it had a trans control unit replaced as well as a clutch parameters reset

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes, but it is entirely possible the clutch is fully worn out from 2004-2009...

5. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    according to carfax the car put on 6000 miles from 2004 to 2009 they had to be killer miles for the clutch to wear that much and the car just doesn't show that in it's present condition but thanks for your reply's i do appreciate them as i am a newbie owner of this type of car and learning about it !!

6. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug

I think one could wear out a clutch in 6K miles if one drove it like a turbo-hydro-matic, i.e., slip it slowly into motion with lots of intentional slipping, hold the car on a hill with the gass, backup uphill regularly, stop and go traffic without forcefully engaging a low gear and allowing enough space before you so that you are not engagning and disengaging over and over while rolling a few MPH..

Anyway if I read correctly there was a clutch adjustment not a new clutch in 2004. By my math it had about 10K miles in 2004 and could have been at 60% clutch then.

7. bugattitech

bugattitech Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Will it engage the gear now if not I would say throw out bearing, or a clutch position sensor, and magnet.

8. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    bugattitech
    the car is driveable it just doesn't seem right that in the auto mode in a 8 mile stretch of driving it would decide to shift into neutral on it's own at different times at least 3 times the other day now driving it this morning and using the shifting paddles not in automatic mode it only chose to jump to neutral once other than that i was fine

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sure sounds like you're due for a new clutch..... [Get the flywheel resurfaced at the same time - Search is your friend.]

BTW, general consensus is that "auto" mode is a clutch killer and should *never* be used......

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well you can continue to ask a bunch of people on the internet most of whom probably have no clue but are ready with an answer and one or two of which actually know WTF they are talking about and are just guessing anyway because no one here has a cristal ball or you could take it to your favorite shop equipped with an SD2 or 3 an have an actual diagnosis done in about 10 minutes.

Your choice really unless this has all been just an intellectual excersize.

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    well said!

12. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    well guys thanks for the thoughts and advice
    riflrdriver ....goes with out saying to go to service which i plan to do but, always nice to pick someone's brain....... thanks again sincerely,carl

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Picking brains is OK but you need to be selective. I don't ask lawyers for advice about my car or my mechanic for legal advice.

14. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    true true !!

15. bugattitech

bugattitech Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    How many people in this thread are currently Factory trained Ferrari Technicians. I AM. Enough said. Just cause you own one and spend all day on this forum doesnt mean your are qaulified to work on them. You have to be selective on whom responds but you dont have to be an prick about your response. When you want the right info go to the guy that actually gets paid to do this.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am glad we agree.

17. bugattitech

bugattitech Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    We are all here to help check your ego's at the door. If you feel like you can add something to the thread then do it. Just be ready to be corrected if the info you are giving out is incorrect. I would suggest that clutch wear be checked. If you have access to an SD3 then you are set. If not you could always try to get you clutch to slip by putting in a very high gear at a low speed. Let us know what you find. Please do not put your car in automode. If you want an automatic buy a 456.

18. ferrari.ace

ferrari.ace Karting

May 25, 2006
    So.Cal.
    Full Name:
    Adam Cox
    #18 ferrari.ace, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009

Ryan,

Problem is, there are too many guys out there that get paid to do this that aren't qualified or certified and quite honestly should not be touching these cars....

Owners owe it to themselves to be selective about who they accept (accurate) advice from....

Even more important they should make sure the individual tech. working on their car is truely qualified.... Ask for a list of (Ferrari specific) credentials, including work experience, training and certification.

You don't want to discover after the fact that the doctor treating your child is a veterinarian and not a pediatrician.....

Also Ryan,

Ego check and respect your elders, it will get you alot further alot faster.

Brian (Rifledriver) is a straight up NO BS guy who has been working on these cars longer than you have been alive..... I know, I have worked with him in the past.

SD-2 or 3 will work for the diagnostic. Just having access to an SD unit doesn't mean the techs. know how to use it. I am freaquently called to shop near mine that has a SD-2 to perform diagnostic work.

Since you have dedicated all of your career toward working on Ferrari, you probably agree that without seeing the car in person it probably needs a clutch and or TO bearing sleeve update due to the symptoms.....

BTW, there is nothing wrong with putting a 360 F1 car in the auto mode.... 456GTA gearbox and 360F1 gearboxes and cars are two entirely different animals....

19. bugattitech

bugattitech Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My credentials were questioned with attitude. Brian if you want to know my background then just ask dont assume that I dont know what I am talking about. I am sure I could learn a lot from you Brian and I am certain that you could learn a lot from me. I dont need a lesson in respect I think you guys need to stop looking down on people. You guys were very quick to judge. If you think that you know it all then I am certain that you are not the tech that you think you are. I have plenty of respect for those who respect me. If you ask me this is silly. We seem to have the same job so why are we bickering. The point is the gentlemen needs help and I have stated that this seems to me to be an issue with the clutch are T/O bearing. However it would be irresponsible for me to say that for certain it is the T/O or clutch. The car needs to be in front of me to be sure that is the exact issue. This is only a guess at what the issue can be. I have done my fair share of these just as anyone who worked on these cars for long enough has. PM me if you want to know my credentials. I am happy to share. All the training in the world does not make you a good technician.

20. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian

Hey 8 years experience is a lifetime.....

21. bugattitech

bugattitech Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    No it's not but Thanks for saying so.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

23. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    well friday i am getting the car looked at i will keep you all posted, thanks for your comments and thoughts ....didn't mean to start conflicts between people but as we are all into the same hobby we should enjoy it and our love for the rolling art we own ! as it seems everyone here has a passion deeply 4 it ! it is what it is and we are what we are

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    No one was singling you out. There were many responses (as usual) that were just not good info. My comments were addressed to them and an owner who was looking for an answer he liked.

Just FYI my first Ferrari PDI had carburetors and I stuck around long enough to do 360 school in Maranello and 575 school in New Jersey and I was shop forman in what at the time was the largest volume Ferrari dealer on the planet. Adam and I worked there together.

Adam probably has more hands on experience on F50GT1 cars than anyone alive and spent years Challenge racing on top of about 25 years in dealers.

There is also Dave Helms and Jim Milford here with similar creds.

Don't think you are alone here.

25. bugattitech

bugattitech Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Are you saying that driving in Auto mode does not make shifting poor?