360 f1 transmission | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 f1 transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carl4emaj, Feb 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The operational protocols for the clutch are the same in auto or manual. The only difference is that the TCU chooses when to shift. If the overall operation of the system is good auto mode works quite well. In sport mode it works very well. The problem is that so few of those cars work correctly to begin with.
    I believe that the confusion comes from all the warnings and admonishments from the use of low grip mode. It is the low grip mode that is murderous on clutches.

I have a client who uses Auto mode quite often. His car has 125,000 miles and is on the 3rd clutch. The second we only replaced because a trans input shaft seal failed and soaked it.

2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'll also say this about auto mode. Most people that are inclined to use it are either predisposed to drive timidly or tend to because of the driving situation that causes them to select auto mode. As you know that driving style is death to F1 clutches even in manual mode.

3. RogerLee

RogerLee Rookie

Dec 3, 2008
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Please do. I recently bought an '01 360 w/ 5k miles and the problems started occuring about a month after purchase. It will just go into neutral for no reason. I tested it in auto mode and it also will do it then. The ferrari shop is an hour and a half away!

4. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    hey guy's,
    the tech say's it is possible that a hatch or door sensor is causing it to choose neutral due to not remaining sealed correctly, may be a little loose, finger 's crossed that, that is all it is..... i will know more on monday !

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thae cause will be captured in memory.

Good luck.

6. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    well it seems it wasn't a loose hatch and we did a bleed out for possible air in the system still no change guess i'm headed off to a sd analizer or how ever you spell it nearest one hour and a half away yea !!!!

7. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    well we did the SD-2 thing and found out the clutch is 58% worn and it needs a engagement pointiometent and selection pointioment sensor's thw clutch's pis is out more than it should be and while you are into it you may as well do the flywheel bering thro-out and the nessessary other stuff while it's open for that stuff so thats where we are and will address the issue as soon as possible so roger take the trip and spend the 145 an hour for labor to have it put on the sd-2 you will most likly be there 2 hours for the testing if your going to ferrari of new jersey these guy's are Cool to deal with very nice place

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Carl- If it is that ripped apart, why not just put in a new clutch to go along with the other parts? Only about $1600 from Ricambi.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At about 60% wear a 360 clutch does not have that much further to go anyway. At 75% or so by their scale they are done.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Agree. It just seems like a false economy to spend all that money ripping it apart and then leave out the parts that will cause you to rip it all apart again in a short time. Labor is the big cost, not a few piddly parts. Might as well let them all break in together and know where you stand.

Wish I knew what my clutch wear was. Still works great.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    sorry guy's i thought that i included doing a replacement clutch as well with out having to say so my bad !

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Carl- You the man. Thanks for clarifying.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. carl4emaj

carl4emaj Karting

Feb 10, 2009
    Ok guys here it goes replaced the clutch assembly release bearing ring ,scraper ring 5 seals new motor oil new oil filter also checked all fluids ,brakes and tire pressures and all is swell...arena motors did the job in Hasbrouck Hgts, new jersey .great mechanic cares about the customer and car
    $5,024.79 later and the dealer covered $3024 plus shipping to make the car as add stated when i purchased it ....now it needs nothing and is sweet ! thank you Arena Motors would recommend Stephen Arena to anyone !
    this guy also has a place in Dania Beach,fl
    www.arena-motors.com

14. DimitrisEvmorfidis

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dimitris Evmorfidis
    Hi everyone! I have a somewhat similar issue. I just had my ECU replaced on my 360 and no issues appeared for the first few days, gear shifts where perfect and smooth. However today the car randomly started beeping with no warning lights displayed. Does anyone know why its doing that?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Check and see if she has one of Steph's Scud Ing solid state F1 pump relays.

Qavion likes this.