360 grease coming trough the Ftrunk floor? | FerrariChat

360 grease coming trough the Ftrunk floor?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by billy.gif, Jan 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    As the title says my 65k miles (104k km) driven 2001 Ferrari 360 has its front trunk floor worn in 2 places, kind of very small ... "pimple" (?) or "lump" or "point" at the floor of the Ftrunk. Symmetrical at the both sides of the front trunk. Unfortunately my car is at winter hibernation so I cant provide actual photo, but here's kind of similar photo.

Problem is that the driver side one has worn trough and some sort of grease (?) is sweating / pushing trough the linear. Not much, just enough to be visible if you sweep trough the bottom of the trunk with your fingers. Its not liquid at all, its literally at form of very thick black ... "grease" which is very hard to remove from your fingertips.

Image Unavailable, Please Login .

My question is what lies under the front trunk linear at those points? I can't find any comprehensive diagrams from the whole front of the 360.

What I've understand for example the steering rack is completely situated under / behind the Tire Inflation Kit (top of the pic), so it can't be leaking? When I turn steering from lock-to-lock and back, this grease doesn't ... "push trough" like it would if it would come from rack? Also the car had a Major Service done during Summer 2021, and they didn't report any leakages or old traces of one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Those are bolts for the front under tray.

billy.gif likes this.
  3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    If the two red circles are bolt heads, the bolts might be loose. The black material might be undercoating that is seeping through the bolt holes when the car is hot. If this is the problem, the solution would be to loosen the bolts, put some gasket sealant under each of the bolt heads, and tighten them securely.

billy.gif likes this.
  4. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Thank you sire x 2!

There was some heavy stuff at the F-trunk during our road trip to Italy at early Sep 2021, also the Italian roads weren't best quality, maybe therefore the bottom of the trunk somehow is bent downwards or something. Glad to hear it at least shouldn't be anything super major.