360 GT/GTC/N-GT - What are the differences? | FerrariChat

360 GT/GTC/N-GT - What are the differences?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by garyjpaterson, Oct 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Gary Paterson
    Hi all! looking to pick the brains of the abundance of knowledge and passion for these cars, of which I'm just getting to know for the first time.

I recently started a thread here looking for some info on the Ferrari 550 as I was planning on recreating both the Maranello and GTS race car virtually for the simulator Assetto Corsa. We are well underway of that project, and I'm already thinking about what I want to do next (still a long way to go before I start anything else though...).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've never been a Ferrari guy, but through all the research on the 550 and 575 I've sort of caught the bug and and tempted to complete the FIA GT Championship Ferrari line-up by making the 360 as well!

The problem is, in my limited amount of research, I'm struggling to wrap my head around what model is what!

GT, GTC, GT-N, GT LM and Challenge, what are the differences?!

I'm specifically interested in recreating whatever car that competed in around 2003-2004 in the FIA GT Championship, in the N-GT class, to go alongside the 6 GT cars we are making now.

Are the differences between the cars major? Visually at least I'm struggling to see any difference, besides the rear wing. If they are all the same bodywork wise, this would make my job significantly easier as I can collect reference from any/all of the models.

Anyway, any info regarding these models would be greatly appreciated, technical info too is handy. Not in any rush to get started, just something to think about for the future - still got this 550 and 575 to finish! :)

markonex likes this.
  2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Aesthetically, not much difference, really.

The GTC probably is the most visually distinguishable, due to it's different rear wing configuration (end v. central mounting points).

The 360C would certainly be distinguishable, also, by the 5-bolt wheels. Some owners installed GT aero packages, but that normally just consisted of a front splitter, dam and rear wing...omitted were the deeper side skirts and lower rear aero, IIRC. Without it, it's clearly less "aggressive." The 360C would have a metal body, whereas the N-GTs, GTs and GTCs would be lightweight composite. Steel brakes on the Cs. Depending on series, the N-GTs, GTs and GTCs might have carbon. I think GrandAm retained steel and but IMSA/ALMS and FIA went to carbon.

The distinguishing characteristics of the N-GT and GT (the GrandAm, IMSA/ALMS and FIA) versions are more subtle. I usually look in the engine bay for things like air restrictors (size, location in the air-intake system) and the airboxes. Also, the shifter systems were different. GrandAm spec cars would have the standard paddle shift. IMSA/ALMS and FIA/WEC went x-trac. IIRC, the GTC was only available with x-trac.

N-GTs were converted 360Cs and would have dual s/n stampings. One from Ferrari as a 360C (full VIN stamping) and another from Michelotto (3-digit 001-016, IIRC). The GTs and GTCs were "factory built" (although, you dealt directly with Michelotto and they were constructed there) and have 4-digit s/ns (2000 - 2050, IIRC).

Obviously, other small differences based on the teams and series that these ran in, but that's a primer.

CW

garyjpaterson likes this.
  3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    A couple of other small distinguishing marks between the C and the GT, N-GT and GTC:

The exhaust pipe exit location (GT, N-GT and GTC all had central, mid-bumper exits v. the C that had standard lower rear valance exits).

GT, N-GT and GTC all had front bonnet NACA ducts in the hood. C did not. There are after-market front bonnets available with the NACA ducts, though. So, a C owner could possibly change it.

Also, roll cages differed by spec.

CW

garyjpaterson likes this.
  4. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson Rookie

Jul 24, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Gary Paterson
    Thanks, great little insight!

When I began researching the 550 I was shocked to find so many variations (Prodrive,Wieth, Italtechnica) though it seems despite there being just as many for the 360, they seem much more subtle.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Also, the GT, N-GT & GTC mirrors are carbon. C mirrors are standard.

There are probably small difference if you were to strip each car down, but I think you've got the big features.

And, I may be wrong about the x-trac. I think it was Hewland.

CW

6. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Congrats, love Assetto Corsa and every new Ferrari is more than welcome. I'm also interested in discovering so many subtle differences among the several versions.