360 HIGH OIL TEMP/LOW OIL PRESSURE | FerrariChat

360 HIGH OIL TEMP/LOW OIL PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aztar, Aug 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aztar

Aztar Rookie

Nov 14, 2008
    New York State
    I recently had an oil change on my 360. After the change, I noticed when running at higher revs on and off for say 30 minutes, my oil temp gauge goes into the red and then slowly cools down toward the center of the gauge. While undergoing this condition, the coolant temp is normal; the oil presussure gauge is normal, EXCEPT when at idle it too goes into the low red (but at 6,000 rpm it reads around 75 psi). My information is that the oil was Shell Helix (I don't know which viscosity however). Has anyone experienced this condition? Could this do with my needing a different oil viscosity/grade given this history? Any information would be helpful.

2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Don't screw around with this issue unless you enjoy possibilty of engine failure. Call your dealer and have it trucked for sevice Docf

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    sounds like either there isn't enough oil in there or perhaps they used something which wasn't the correct viscosity or something. Normally 5W-30 is about what you want to run, unless you are in a very hot or very cold climate. I use Mobil 1 myself.

Ray

4. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Its most likely a sensor issue. The oil pressure and temp sensors are in the same ground loop and when the temp sensor goes(shorts) it alters both gauges. My car did the same thing.

To make sure when you get the high temp readings use a laser temp reader and test various points. Oil cooler (passenger side of the car), oil reservoir, etc. I doubt any of them will read above 200 while the guage is saying 250+. I read mine when it said 0 psi and pegged with redlights on the dash, it was normal 19x degrees. If your readings are normal then replace both sensors.

If your oil temps read above 200 at idle get it to the shop.

Good luck!

5. Aztar

Aztar Rookie

Nov 14, 2008
    New York State
    #5 Aztar, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    Thank you for your input, all. I think I will take it to the dealer. I am not sure it's the sensors because when the pressure is so low and I place the car into gear (F1), it is ready to stall. I do remember that the measuring stick after the recent oil change shows between the low and high marks; but this measurement is taken when the car reaches operating temps and is immediately turned off. Under the same circumstances before the oil change, the reading was over the high mark on the stick (reaching operating temps and then) after immediately turning the car off. I think the car was under-filled with oil after the recent oil change. That oil change mechanic told me the measurement is made after immediately turning the car off; he is a very excellent and well-reputed mechanic. However, the manual states measure when idling at operating temperatures. I tried to measure when idling, but the whole stick was bubbles and I could not get a reading. Bottom line: I think the car was under-filled using the mechanic's measuring technique. Could under filling cause this problem? And I will take the car to Ferrari for a final diagnosis.

6. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Running at operating temp... in between the two dots.

If you have air, possible cavitation or wrong oil. less foam.

Also. check the grounds on back of the ds head for the dash problem. they sometimes get loose and lights come on for the oil.

Good luck.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Manual is right, oil is checked at temp and idling. That much foam is not normal. I use Redline and get very little foaming. If you have lots of foaming I would be concerned about air in the system or a leak somewhere.

8. Aztar

Aztar Rookie

Nov 14, 2008
    New York State
    Thanks. I'll look into all those things.