360 "Home Made" Upper Gearbox Mount | FerrariChat

360 "Home Made" Upper Gearbox Mount

Discussion in '360/430' started by AleGJ, Jan 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Hi guys,
    my 360 is undergoing some major maintenance and among all the planned works there is as well a new upper gearbox mount:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (not my picture, but just to clarify what I'm talking about)

I looked pretty much everywhere on the net for an aftermarket solution, because I would really love to have a polyurethane bush instead of the factory one.. but no luck at all.
    Yeah I know that the OEM design has been improved, but I've used polyurethane mounts in other applications and I'm super happy.

So as there is nothing readily available my idea is to have one custom made.

The original one is 74.8 mm in diameter and you probably know is quite a tight fit. I was basically thinking about the diameter for the polyurethane one.

What would you do? 74.8 like the original one (that has a metal outer part) or maybe one tenth of a mm more... 74,9?

What do you think? Any suggestions?

2. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I would seek to buy a chunk of black polyurethane and mill it on a lathe (or have a machinist do it).

The only part I know if that mimics that is a passenger side motor mount insulator on a MK1 VW Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco. I suggest contacting Eurowise out of North Carolina.. they service Ferraris, Lambos, Audis, etc.. plus offer engine swap systems and components for the MK1 VWs.

... I have a MK1 GTI track car.

3. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    interesting stuff, definitely will be keeping an eye on this thread.

when you say the OEM one has been improved, do you have a different part number for the improved mount? Or which car it came out of?

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Are you SURE that the polyurethane won't put increased stress on the rear engine frame?

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I installed solid mounts on my 360C when I had it (motor and gearbox). Custom made aluminum and Delrin. No signs of stress. Same mounts on a friends 430C also with no issues. No longer available, one time manufacturing run.

6. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
  7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    ahh ok, thanks for the tip!

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    You could always fill the voids with window weld. Very common way to stiffen up transmission mounts in the Porsche community and cheap.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Here's a question....what do y'all use to remove it? I bought both Hill Engineering tools for my ball joints but they were ~$80 apiece...the tool for this s more like $300? Seems a few pieces of pipe and a C clamp might do the job...

10. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I appologize to the OP, but I started a thread a little while ago showing how I did it (with tools): https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/changing-gearbox-bushing.560045/#post-145580961

RedNeck likes this.
  11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006