360 - Hydraulic Tensioner Replacement Interval | FerrariChat

360 - Hydraulic Tensioner Replacement Interval

Discussion in '360/430' started by DBomb117, Oct 12, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I know there has been debate about 3-5 years for the belts, but I never see any instruction regarding the two hydraulic tensioners? Is there a recommended replacement interval for the hydraulic tensioners based on age or mileage? Is there a way to test them?

EastMemphis likes this.
  2. ssr13

ssr13 Rookie

Aug 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    Sean Robinson
    I’m also curious about the replacement interval.

3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I don’t recall seeing any recommendations. I did it when I changed the belt/rollers after taking possession of mine. It was at 17y/36k miles.
    I figured it couldn’t hurt and should be good for another 20y :)
    I guess YMMV…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DBomb117 and Michael B like this.
  4. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    I’m doing it during this current major and plan to every time I do a major. Cheap insurance IMO.

5. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I would use your own discretion. Ferrari neglected to put changing the coolant in the service intervals after all. Ask anyone with a heat exchanger failure how well that went.

Sent from my toilet using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I ordered replacement tensioners today. The reason is twofold.

1. The right side tensioner looks new and the left looks original. For some reason only one was replaced. Things that come in pairs should be replaced in pairs.

2. I checked the frequency of the belts and the right one was within spec but the left was way low. The mismatch makes me think that the left tensioner is weak.

I could probably get away with changing just the left one but they're not that expensive.

cavlino and DBomb117 like this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I have my tensioners changed at each belt change. The added cost is not significant compared to the overall job. I use Hill Engineering parts.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

cavlino likes this.
  8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    There are tensioners and there are bearings. The tensioners are OEM and the bearings, which the tensioners act upon, are typically Hill Engineering. Do you replace both bearings and tensioners?

The bearings are about $300 and the tensioners about $900. I replaced mine because I think one is bad. I replaced the bearings because I have OEM and wanted the better HE ones.

cavlino and DBomb117 like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Same tensioner design used in 355 and many 355s are driving around with original tensioners. The 360 had a design flaw on the left side and they broke one of the mounting ears off. They have undergone at least 2 redesigns on the left side only. Every 360 should have the latest left bank tensioner installed.

Because of their design if the belt is properly installed in the first place and you have a complete failure of the tensioning function it will only result in a rattle. One sign replacement is needed is if it regularly rattles at start up from the tensioner. Engines regularly rock a few degrees backwards when shut down and this will partially collapse a perfectly good tensioner so judging them by belt tension during belt changes is an invalid test of their condtion. I have seen 360 engines worn out and still had perfectly good right bank original tensioner. Like most parts on the car, no life span is dictated. Its up to the judgement of the mechanic.

10. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a weird rumble (rattle?) that seemed to come from the left side of the engine. Before I checked the tension, I rotated the engine twice to reset the belts and the tension was way low on the left side. The left side is the original tensioner too. The water pump bearing looked beat and the seal was leaking too from an improper installation last belt change. I thought it might be the water pump making the rattle. It only happened around 1500-2200 RPM's, and only after the car reached about 100F temp. To be sure, I'm replacing the tensioners too.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Waterpumps perish from not using a tensiometer to set belt tension. Very fine line between tight enough not to have belt slip and not overloading the pump bearing.

Tension called out for in 360 manual was updated because it was not tight enough and after a few miles they started slipping.

cavlino likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    There's also the dance between the power steering belt and the water pump belt as one offsets the other. With both set properly, there should be little sideload on the bearing. My bearing was fine but the seal was leaking.

13. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I did my belts about 1.5 years ago and my hydraulic tensioners (Not pulleys) were original to the car, I replaced them both. I figure they can go about 3-4 changes or 10-12 years if my old ones went ~18 or so. One side is shared with the F355 and is ~$3-400 or so, and the other side is exclusive to the 360 and ran between $5-700.

cavlino likes this.
  14. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    This depends on the car, my car is a 2004 MY 360 and still has the old style plate installed on the engine, I had to pry out the locating collet on the Driver side (LHD US Car) left tensioner for it to seat and install properly. Not every car will have that different plate installed that works with the locating collet.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very easy to modify existing mount to take the alignment dowell. Have installed many and never replaced the mount plate.
    Even without the locating dowell which is being used for additional shear support it is a better, stronger tensioner so it is an upgrade even if you follow factory instructions to remove it.

16. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Good to know!

17. 360chrisT

360chrisT Rookie

Jul 5, 2022
    Grimsby, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Thompson
    Can you verify the correct belt tension values as I have a few different values and want to be sure I'm using the correct ones, thanks.

18. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  19. Mister Spanks

Mister Spanks Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    Monaco
    Hi Guys,

Got my F355 back from the major service in Italy and this is what it sounds like. Amazing really. And this is after sending it back already once I got it back from the service initialy. I was wondering, however, how exactly does the tensioner apply tension as it doesn't seem to be touch the bearing. Apologies if it's a silly question.

Cheers,
    Martin

Attached Files: