360 interior swap - how hard can it be? | FerrariChat

360 interior swap - how hard can it be?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DDAVE, Jun 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    sooo.. I've recently become the owner of a nice F360; 20k miles; in pretty good condition..

However... to my taste, at least - it's may well have been optioned by Stevie Wonder. It's a little too 'in your face' for my delicate colour palette.

The car is Red - with a blue interior. Now, whilst I fully agree blue interiors can look fabulous in the right cars - to my mind, at least - its a bit too much of a statement in a red Ferrari!

so.. i'm changing it!

and.. for the amusement of the experts; and perhaps to provide a few tips for anyone else who is silly enough to try to do this - i'm going to post an idiots guide!

For reference - i'm not a mechanic, or a tech, or even vaguely in that type of job.. i'm an accountant by background... but have a habit of pulling things apart - and occasionally having them go back together and still work!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tajir Al-Ahzan and kes7u like this.
  2. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    phase one... achieved... new interior secured; and arrives... (pity they didn't put it somewhere more convenient!)

actually in 2 batches - I managed to buy a complete f360 interior in black - but the seats were a) electric (mines a manual seat car) and b) had yellow piping (which also didn't feel quite right in a red car. so I bought 2 black manual seats separately on ebay… and will resell whatever I don't need later!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robb likes this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I think the change was very necessary. Did the blue come that way from the factory? I know Ferrari allows a certain amount of customization, but I have been told they have something like an “architectural review committee” that has final authority on whether the customization(s) cast Ferrari in a poor light.

keep posting !

gsworld2014 likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    What was the original color of the car? The color code should be on the inside of the frunk lid. If it doesn't show there, you can get an original build sheet from the "My Ferrari" website.

5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Did Superman own that car?

G8TD likes this.
  6. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    The former Captain America interior spec was pretty interesting. I’ll be looking for the eBay listing

gsworld2014 and SoftwareDrone like this.
  7. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    yes - believe it or not - I think this IS the original colour combination for this car... the paint code sticker is still there and whilst its had bumper resprays previously; I believe the paint is original.

The interior is definitely original - with the service manual folder etc all in the same blue!

a few people have actually told me they like it.. and truth be told - it's growing on me.. not so much that i'd keep it in a red car though! - in a blue, silver or grey car - it'd probably strike the right balance of 'statement' vs 'colour blindness'

the car was delivered new in Switzerland; but spent most of its life in Russia - I'm not sure if that explains the choice or not!

8. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looks like a great project. Did mine as well to some challenge parts and went from red carpet to black carpet but still kept the red seats.

9. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Maybe the first owner was a rather big fan of the song "I'm Blue" by Eiffel 65 which was released at very late of 1990's :cool:

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm convinced some early buyers were colorblind and the dealership didn't correct them. "That grey is the PERFECT grey to go with the red!"

brookliner7 likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yup, interior change was the first thing I did when I got mine. It was all Bordeaux, I swapped all the carpet for black and really helped it. Not a hard thing to do either. Congrats on making it yours!

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My 360 has an interesting color combo from the factory tan seats and door panels, kind of a wine red carpet with matching mats. I thought that was a bit odd.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There are quite a few Superman builds out there. I wonder if the interior could either be dyed black or have a leather shop re-skin it at a reduced price to buying whole components

14. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    Potentially - but whilst I'm changing it, i'm trying to keep it as 'Real Ferrari' as possible - it wouldn't feel quite the same if it were entirely retrimmed... ditto dying - the inevitable health warning was 'if it gets scratched, the blue will come back through'.

anyways.. after a week or so of procrastination... I've finally started!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

G8TD, kes7u and Robb like this.
  15. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    Ironically.. any good idiots guide begins with reference to another idiot's guide... in this case... far and away the most difficult part of this job to date has been the door card removal... it's a little bit fiddly at times (not helped by the fact that some idiot had previously had it off and threaded a couple of screws.

so.. reference - Aldus Voice' guide.. its' very good... albeit the only thing it doesn't include is the removal of the passenger side 'omg help me' handle.. which is actually bolted all the way into the body of the door (and had me baffled for a minute!)

https://aldousvoice.com/2012/08/28/ferrari-360-interior-door-card-removal/

16. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    Door card aside - everything has been pretty logical - unbolt seen bolts - hope you havnt missed any - gently prize off the clips - break a few - but hope you don't break any parts!

truth be told... the biggest tip I've got from this is that its useful to have the bits you are replacing to hand... you can look at each part, understand where the clips, bolts etc are located and best work out how to remove it! nothing is complicated... just work through it.. and take lots of pictures so you can try to work out how it all goes back together when the time comes!;)

a few pics for interest..

17. Carbide

Carbide Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Full Name:
    Dave Schneyer
    Interested in the black/yellow seats if you want to sell them

18. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    Paused the job to make use of the car for a month or two over summer... now the final furlong - popped the steering wheel off and took the dash out over the weekend - dropped them off to have them retrimmed in what's pretty close to an OEM match leather.

Once again - no issues whatsoever! - and rather than reinvent the wheel - if anyone else is considering the job - this video is useful!

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk0082DmoZzF8_iKIK7IEHUrFHKGUQQ%3A1600089746074&source=hp&ei=km5fX8KOAY69UPC1lvAM&q=ferrari+360+dash+removal&oq=ferrari+360+&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAxgAMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgQIIxAnMgUIABCxAzICCAAyBQgAELEDMgcIABAUEIcCMgIIADIHCAAQFBCHAjICCAA6BQgAEJECOggIABCxAxCDAToICAAQsQMQiwM6BQgAEIsDOggIABCxAxCRAjoLCAAQsQMQgwEQkQI6CwgAELEDEIMBEIsDOgQIABAKUJ4EWPkgYIEnaAFwAHgAgAHGAogB0BCSAQgwLjEyLjAuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXq4AQI&sclient=psy-ab#kpvalbx=_mG5fX4KsLpa6gAbPz6T4Aw27

Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u and Maine57S1 like this.
  19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    wow! That's some serious surgery!

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    awesome thread - u have guts...i wld have flaked from the first turn of a screw!

21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    me too. too lazy to even think about something like this.
    would think to myself "I can learn to live with blue".

ScottS likes this.
  22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I've had my all of my interior out except the dash.... and it is an easy task. Just be careful and slow and take lots of pics.

Compared to other cars I've working on in the interior the 360 is assembled with quality fasteners that are NOT one time use... unlike bimmer... which has many one-time affixing bits that break apart upon deconstruction.

If the spec was orig.... I'd be inclined to put that in climate controlled storage for 'someday'.

23. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just curious, did you get a really good deal on this car? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Rosso Corsa/Black 360's out there. This seems like a lot of work and expense to change an interior. But I have to say, you're my hero for doing it. I don't think I could take on a project like this.

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Great work! I’d do the same. Blue with the red just doesn’t work for me.
    Whilst you have the dash out, be sure to refinish the vents at the base of the windshield. If they’re not sticky now, they will be. Remove the soft touch material with isopropyl alcohol and either leave it bare or refinish with a durable paint.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Husker, brookliner7 and ScottS like this.