360 - 360 Intermittent idle hunting/ fuel trim | FerrariChat

360 360 Intermittent idle hunting/ fuel trim

Discussion in '360/430' started by 3pedal360, Jan 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3pedal360

3pedal360 Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    Hey guys,

I just wanted to share a couple things and see if perhaps anyone else has experienced this, I’ve worked on Ferrari for around 5 years and feel fortunate to be able to, however you learn everyday and we all experience different anomalies with these cars so I love reading all the feedback on this site.

I’ve recently seen a problem on a 2004 360 F1 car that was triggering multiple misfire codes for every cylinder both banks etc and a can line error. It would also throw the car into a limp mode so to speak with the traction control and would flash the gear box light however it was not a transmission limp mode because it would go above second gear. One this would happen it would do the obvious ASR disabled and then it would surge and hunt for idle.

Looking into it with the tester and watching the live data the only thing out of the ordinary I could find is that the short term fuel trim had spiked quite high around low 20s right around the threshold to trigger a check engine light. There was once also a spike in one of the 02 sensors voltage.

Lengthy I’m sorry but stay with me, I further investigated and started with the air flow meters and what I found was that the aftermarket carbon fiber air cleaner lids a previous owner had installed had JB weld like adhesive on the inside of the lid were the tube meets the lid and had gotten big chunks of this hard plastic debris (a fairly heavy amount) all over the metal screens and further into the housing. I pulled the AFMs off inspected that they weren’t visually damaged and completely cleared all the chunks. Reinstalled, cleared codes and did a hard reset. Drove the car all day yesterday with the tester monitoring the live data and it looks like the ECUs have started correcting themselves in regards to the fuel trim. And was not able to get the car to act up or throw any codes traction control or check engines. I want to put a lot more miles on the car before being too optimistic but has anyone else experienced something like this in relation to the ASR and engine idle hunting?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mass air meters is where I generally start on mass air cars.

3pedal360 likes this.
  3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    I changed my mass air meters and i still get crazy cold start idles

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. 3pedal360

3pedal360 Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    Ive seen the cold start idle and is very common when the ecu check ok isn’t through it’s cycle and it will run rough and or on one bank. This car when it would hunt for the idle would be somewhat sporadic but consistent when closer to operating temperatures. It would drop to the point of almost stalling jump to about 1200 drop to 4-500 and so on. Have you had any issues with your throttle bodies?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app