360 Manual vs F1 Clutch Difference | FerrariChat

360 Manual vs F1 Clutch Difference

Discussion in '360/430' started by AleGJ, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Hi everyone!
    Just a quick question: on the 360 what are the differences between a Manual and a F1 clutch?

I know that are operated by different fluids (brake fluid for the manual, A/T fluid for the F1) and for this reason the thrust bearing has different seals... but the thrust bearing itself is exactly the same.
    Am I correct?

Any other differences?

Thank you all in adavnce

2. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Clutch is exactly the same between the two. And the design of the thrust bearing is the same - only seals differ...

3. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    One thing that I'm not able to understand are the end of stroke pins.... these guys:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Looking at the spare parts diagram they are installed only on F1 cars. Is that true?

And if this is correct, how is the thrust bearing hold in place on manual cars?

4. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I have the F1 type of bolt on my manual 360. When changing the clutch, I bought the HE uprated parts from Superformance. Says ”All” on their webpage:
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/360/clutch.html

However; Looking at Eurospares web page you are clearly right:
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/360-modena/transmission-pedals/clutch-and-controls-not-for-f1-40662/16052024

Seriously: I don’t think it’ll matter much using the F1 model bolt in a manual car.
    I’m of course biased and hope someone else might chime in.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It can be used in a manual model. Before I bought mine I met a mechanic that installed it in his 360.

cavlino likes this.
  6. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    Gated are slower! End of story!

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    For a response I couldn't help thinking of the song 'Slow Hands' by the Pointer Sisters, lol

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  8. AleGJ

AleGJ Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    North Italy
    Just as a matter of curiosity, anyone knows in what they differ?
    I mean, is the material or the design?
    ...or maybe both?

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Material is different. One for F1/hydraulic fluid/synthetic ATF and one for brake fluid.

10. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I thought of Eric Clapton whose nickname is "Slowhand." ;)

And totally ignored the futile attempt to shoot down any of the magical awesomeness of a gated car.

Mickster likes this.
  11. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Might be slower, but much more enjoyable, collectible, reliable, cheaper to maintain...

Plus compared with modern dual clutch systems, the 360 F1 is a dissappointment... It was innovative at its time, but now it is dated and problematic, if not properly maintained !!

So F1 vs Gated = 0 - 1

Next...

(There is truth in the statements above, but all comments are meant in a positive and non-offensive way !! So if you own F1 be proud and enjoy it !!)

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Yes, in today’s PC world we must be inclusive.

13. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    To answer your question, the clutch master cylinder has a constant volume stroke so the TB stroke is limited on the F1 the pump just keeps on pumping.

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    One thing to note is that Ferrari changed the length of the end of the stroke pins (made them longer) and lengthened the slot on the plastic mount for the clutch sensor.
    They claimed that this was done to help the system during it's initialization procedure. You can file the slot longer (5mm) on the plastic mount instead of shelling out $120+ for a new one. If you use the new longer pins and don't replace or modify the mount, it will break due to the pin for the sensor magnet hitting it.

15. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    @Motob
    can you elaborate more on the update ?

16. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    When the clutch is new (not worn) the clutch fingers are forward (towards the engine). Sounds like with a limited TB stroke the clutch wasn't properly disengaging when not worn. Maybe that's part of the short clutch life saga. On a manual clutch the preload springs hold the TB bearing up against the clutch fingers so you always get the full stroke since there are no stops.

17. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Agree.
    A new bearing mounting flange is also required to allow for the increased travel of the new pins, otherwise it will come off the end.
    I’ve just changed my release bearing and retained the old pins as the clutch is 30% worn so I didn’t need the extra travel.
    You can see hear that when fully extended it is close the the end of the mounting flange.

The parts manager at my local dealer also said the seals are the same material it is just the backing O’rings that are different between manual and F1

Image Unavailable, Please Login