360 Modena crash in Irvine! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

360 Modena crash in Irvine!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Tipo815, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    100MPH on a 65mph posted freeway, through tunnels and sweepers is stupid and reckless any way you look at it. I know that road vey well and it really has nothing to do with my speedo. It has to do with my instincts which scream at me that 100mph, let alone 140mph on that road is stupid. Talk to anyone who tracks cars for a living, especially instructors (who are all racers). High speeds (much faster than the flow of traffic on a particular road) are stupid and reckless.

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    140mph on the toll road is suicidal, never mind stupid. I'm sure you've been on that road. How would you feel if you were moving at the comfort speed on that road (around 75-80mph) and some lunatic was flying toward you 60 mph faster than you were going, unable to control his car. I don't really care about him as he chose to put his life at extreme risk. It's the other people he endangers that pisses me off! And yes I regulary go faster than the posted speed limit, along with the flow of the traffic. I have never gone that fast (140mph) anywhere but on a track, and that's the way I do it. You do what you please. Remember, there's no right or wrong, just consequences.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yep, do anything you want as long as you are willing to pay the price. Not a price I would want to pay..............

4. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia

You couldn't be farther off if you tryed, chris has been to several driving schools, is licensed to race in a few classes/arenas, and is definately an awesome driver. As I said he regularly tracks his cars and has been doing so for many years. Granted it's not the best idea to double the posted speed limit but where do you get off with your holyer than thou attitude. Give me a ****in break, like you have never had your car over 100mph on a public road.

5. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    alexpapas,

Really?

Your comments have not been necessary for posting here.

You are more than welcome :) to start the "Preachers of Speed" thread!
    I'll be the first to insist that you do.

But will you join me someday in the "Compassion before criticism" thread someday?
    Think of it as 'self-fulfilling' inspiration or maybe an aspirin.

Maybe it has been a rough year for you.

You don't "get it".

Good Luck.

May I quote the wonderful Ms. Wasabe, "whatever".

Still, I like you, just not what you say presently in this thread. But that's my problem isn't it.

OH WELL

Ya know, I've been on the back of a Hyabusa at 140 and no one will ever think that I'm not far gone in the brain for that and jumping off cliffs for fun.

Speed is a pleasure as much as it can be considered a sickness of the "risk hungry".

Just another day at the office for some I suppose.

How do you start your day?

6. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    OH Darn.

Just one little thing; in this thread many have said "like you haven't been over a hundred MPH on a public road", well, people should we maybe ASK Alex if he has?

Oh I hear a Yes from the unspoken crowd.

Dear Alex,

May we be so forward as to ask?

Have you been speeding and at what speeds and which roads and maybe when?

You may of course plead or remain silent.

Thanks for input.

Signing out for inquiring minds .

I appreciate your time...oh I just rolled my eyes. Sorry.

I'm a little immature.

:) :) :)

7. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Touche. I agree. :)

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I wouldn't say immature, but I would call it being a *****.

I won't speak for Alex, but I will speak for myself. Lets count how many people think what this driver did was reckless, stupid, or made a serious mistake who have posted in the thread. I guess that makes most of us "bad people."

Some drivers here speed excessively when it is safe to do so. I will gladly raise my hand and toast to that, oh "she who does not speed."

Allow me to break it down for you:

The driver is licensed to race
    The driver has had lots of track time and high performance driving schooling
    The driver endangered others

Even if the first two are falsehoods, the driver endangered others. This driver not only did something stupid, he did something exceptionally stupid and put SOMEONE ELSE at GRAVE RISK.

Do you "get it now?" There's your door in the discussion, have a nice day.

Sunny

9. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    First off you and others don't know for a fact that there was anyone else on the road! Do you have a copy of the Police report? No I don't think so. Also, He isn't here to speak for himself. You don't know what happend.
    :rollyeyes:

10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I wish you few wouldn't be so critical........ we've all made mistakes. It's the one's who do not admit it that throw stones and are less likely to be listened to. We've got a brother down and I think he'd be the first to admit he was wrong. He doesn't / We don't need to hear it from you.

......... think about it

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Here's the issue. When a post is made outlining a set of conditions (theretical maybe) and an opinion is passed, then it becomes open for discussion. FChat is a forum for discussion. You may not agree with or like some of what you read, but it is what it is. If you don't like what is discussed in a forum, feel free not to participate. These posts have all been centered around discussion of the accident and the driver's choices. That's fine and proper in this forum. But when participants start to demean and question whether a poster is something or other PURELY AS A RESULT OF DISLIKING HIS POST, that's something altogether different.
    I'm now done with this topic. Thank you and goodnight

12. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I thought previous post was your last. :rollyeyes:

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You're the expert, enlighten us.

I thought your post was your last too, :rollseyes:

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    So you think is was destiny as opposed to a natural result of going way too fast on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic?

Ken

15. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    First off don't put words in my mouth.
    I'm no expert.
    I'm tired of people passing judgement when he's not here to defend himself.
    It could have been a number of things.
    Until you know the whole story all you should do is keep your opions to yourself. This was a wish him well thread. No a bash him thread.

I never said I was done on this topic as you have. Twice!

All of you have done many things that I'm sure you feel bad about. Lets hope we don't find out and make a bash thread about it.

16. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I said it could have been a number of things. I didn't want to discount any possibilities. ;)

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ken,

Looks like you just made a mistake. I don't see any oncoming traffic lanes in this picture. It has also been said there was no oncoming traffic.

It's ok though, I won't be critical of you.......

18. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    I took the assumption Sunny that the driver was not speeding knowing that he might harm someone, that he saw it was clear enough and that he also was familiar enough with the road.
    Giving him the benefit of the doubt which is not what Alex did.
    Maybe I could be wrong.
    But certainly with out the police report we all are speculating.
    Of course the only thing that really needs to be is that we just wish the best to the driver and for the driver. ;)

No hard feelings.

19. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Thank you LetsJet...
    we need the facts.

20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Any news on how he's doing now? (I hope better).

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Who, Us? F-Chatters? Speculating??

Noooooooo!

DL

22. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
  23. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Now that you are all done bickering over who is right and who is wrong, I would like to say Chris is doing pretty well. I have seen pics of his car and it's amazing he is alive, you literally can't tell what kind of car it is unless your very familiar with a 360 inside and out. I will not post them here unless he gives me the okay to do so.

I have to say this, I don't give a **** who you think you are, and how perfect you may be. Saying you only speed excessively when you know it's clear is the most hypocritical statment I have heard yet. I guarantee he wouldn't have been going that fast had he known there was another vehicle on the road, simple fact is **** happens and it can happen to anyone of you. I honestly find it very hard to believe the few of you who claim to have never exceded 100mph on a public road, but thats beside the point. Remember even the most intelligent people make bad decisions at times, have some compassion for a great guy and be thankful it wasn't you. It could have easily been anyone of your friends or children.

Now get those awesome cars out on the track and use them like they were designed to be used, having an awesome vehicle and not using it to the best of your ability sickens me more than someone making a bad decision messing around on a public road.

24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I usually stick below 120mph through tunnels, so 130mph was kinda asking for trouble. After reading your post, the acronym STFU comes to mind.

When looking for the crash on Topanga to rule out it was one of "us" because we're all dangerous speeders, I found this http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/exotics/25360_20040713_002.shtml

25. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm glad Chris is doing better. If the link in this thread is his car, he is one lucky guy. I hope he knows he has friends here and he makes a full recovery.

- Eric