360 Modena - sparkplug symptoms / too lean / too rich / should I worry or not? | FerrariChat

360 Modena - sparkplug symptoms / too lean / too rich / should I worry or not?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by billy.gif, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    So I haven't ever changed a single sparkplug before I decided to do a spring service to my lil red 360 Modena.

-New spark plugs
    -Cleaning MAF sensors
    -New air filters

All went well but I'm real newbie what comes to the spark plugs, what is considered normal and what isn't. Here's the pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spark plugs from cylinders 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 were quite black and the "rear most" cylinders, 4 and 5 were really white. Also the cylinder 1 and 2 plugs were so loose than you could open em with bare fingers !! Also they were extremely "sooty" up in their thread.

Car has 60k miles on the odometer and these plugs have previously been changed around 4 years / 20k miles ago. Car has cat delete with Fabspeed "test pipes" and "mini o2 sensors".

I've been her caretaker for past year and occasionally she has given "missfire" codes on maybe two to three cylinders but they're always in a "pending" state. So NO proper CE light, but they're visible with a code reader. I have a habit of reading fault codes every month or so with my "hobby cars" - just to be sure.

Should I be worried with those super white plugs compared to rest of em being quite black (running rich)?

2. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Sorry, if it matters the correct mileage is only 55k miles / ~90k kilometers. Hehe.

3. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I think I would change the plugs and run the car at speed for a couple hundred miles and not let it idle for very long afterwards. Then recheck.

billy.gif likes this.