360 Oil Change Filter Wrench | FerrariChat

360 Oil Change Filter Wrench

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sean F., Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Is the Oil Filter socket/wrench really necessary? Going to do my 360 Oil DIY for the first time this month and I'd like to know if I can get the filter off with a standard wrench? Never had an issue in the past with any other vehicle or oil change.

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I'm doing that now and I since I have every oil filter wrench known to man, I thought I could do without it. None of my wrenches fit except one and it won't budge it. Guess the last time I had it done, they got some big SOB to tighten it. Haven't tried a strap wrench yet but due to it's location, under the support, etc. I'm thinking that the special wrench would make it a whole lot easier....

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Getting it off is one thing. There is a torque spec for putting it on and it is important. THAT is what you need a wrench for.

obertRo likes this.
  4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    In the UK we can buy a compatible Laser tool for $20 or less....

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  6. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Looks like the wrench tool is exactly the same so I would suggest the Amazon tool will in fact work.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1, I used to do my oil changes with a simple strap wrench to remove and install. But there have been enough cases of not tightening sufficiently and causing a leak and mess, and the risk of overtightening, that I went ahead and bought the Hill Engineering tool from Ricambi years ago. It is really well made and I can use a properly calibrated torque wrench to ensure it is sufficiently tight, but not too tight. There are cheaper tools from stamped steel with spot welds (several in fact), they generally work, but I recall a post where one came apart on someone. They welded it back. ;) That won't happen with the Hill tool, its made for a lifetime.

G. Pepper and Skidkid like this.
  8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    FYI, I ordered this from Amazon and I don't know if they sent the wrong thing or if the manufacture did but it did not fit the 348/355/360 filter (purflux 197654). The description matched more or less but the tool had 15 lands, not 18 flutes and it was larger....

Tool that Ricambi sells is the same for 430 which is a different filter number

14 dollars is good but down time to send it back, get the right one, etc. is not. Should have ordered from Ricambi in the first place....

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The link I gave you worked for me ..fits my 430 scuderia filter perfectly..sorry that happened to you..give amazon a call .they will make it right

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The tool Ricambi sells is the same for the 430 and the 360/355. The filters are not the same, but the tool works on all of them.

11. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    You may want to order the correct oil filter wrench.
    The one I use is Facom 3/8SD Notched Oil Filter Cap Wrench D.156 86mm 18pt
    D.156-FACOM. This is the proper wrench made for the Ferrari Purflux oil filter.
    Cost was 16.49GBP which included shipping from UK to USA and purchased from
    MotorSport Tools.

Mickster likes this.
  12. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
  13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The first year I had the car I used a strap wrench. It was a PIA. I bought the factory tool and it's a breeze now. Just spring for the right tool and be done.

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Here is a direct link to save people time: https://www.motorsport-tools.com/facom-3-8sd-notched-oil-filter-cap-wrench-d-156-86mm-18pt.html
    The other option is the USAG: http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=8609 But I think it was the USAG that the welds popped on someone and he had to weld it back together. A risk with all of these designs that are made from two pieces welded together. But not a big deal if you have a welder. (edit: seems the USAG and Facom are made by the same supplier according to the ad script from Ultimate Garage)

15. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Already dealing with them on it

16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    That is correct. The one review on the tool on Amazon stated it worked on a 430. So, since I have a 360, I checked the part numbers and the Ricambi tool number and verified the tool works for both filters prior to posting my reply here

17. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The flute pattern changed on Purflux filters in late 2016, that's why your tool likely doesn't fit. Hill Engineering released a REV-B version of the tool because of this issue, which is the version we sell at Ricambi America : OFT-02 Oil Filter Wrench

f355spider likes this.
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I can say in fact that the link I used above in early 2017 (Feb) and a filter in March 2017 worked very well...the description was spot on and was exactly what came ..measurements that is

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Space is very tight and near impossible to get band type wrench tightened up and then have any space to turn it. The first time I DIY needed the correct cap style wrench to get it off (it was way over-tightened by the Ferrari dealer shop). The cap style is the easiest anyways so might as well get it now. As far as install torque I found that the required book torque yields the usual 3/4 to 1 full turn that everyone has been using for eons.

20. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
  21. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Good to know, but I believe the tool is actually the wrong one since it has 15 flats instead of 18 flutes. The picture on Amazon is also different than what I received. Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I had my oil tank off and was able to get a standard type oil filter wrench in there but I'm pretty sure they over torqued mine also....put everything into it I could and could not budge it. If I put a strap wrench on it, I'm almost certain that I will collapse the housing...I'm betting not only was it over torqued but also put on dry....

23. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey

Look at the difference between the two pics paying attention to the flats. The latter one isn't really a proper tool for purflux filters as it does not have the rounded flutes which fit into the filter flutes. Mike 01606 has the proper wrench

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I ended up getting the cheapo cap wrench and almost stripped the 3/8 drive getting the filter off. 2nd time around with the proper torque on the filter the 3/8 drive cheapo worked fine, even with a slightly elongated socket.

25. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Correct. However, the actual picture in the Amazon add shows the correct application, with 18 flutes. The item which was sent to me was boxed wrong, pulled wrong, etc. I have no doubt that the add is for the correct item, it was just the wrong one sent to me.