360 Oil Pressure Weirdness | FerrariChat

360 Oil Pressure Weirdness

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dewinator, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Normall, if I’m sitting at idle, the oil pressure sits nicely at the lower unlabeled tic mark (normal operating range lower bound?) and then as I accelerate away, it increases until it gets to the upper unlabeled tick mark (normal operating range upper bound?) at which point it stops and stays there while I’m revving the engine until I go back to idle or lower rpms or whatever again. I’m assuming this is how it’s designed to work, the oil pump produces more psis as the engine speed increases, then caps itself at that upper mark.

However, it seems like recently (or did it always do it and I just didn’t notice?) every once in awhile when I accelerate the engine it seems to not “catch” the pressure right away and it makes it a bit up above that upper pressure mark before it catches it and brings it back down to the mark or below. Maybe max 1/4 or 1/3 of the way between the normal upper bound mark and the 140 mark. It’s never gotten far enough for the high oil pressure light on the right side of the gauge to come on.

Is that normal and I’m being a hypocondriac, or could it be an indication that the oil system is having an issue like a bad oil pump or pressure reader or something that I should get looked at?

2. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    Could be due to loose engine belts. Or a oil pump in its way out. My crane truck does the same. When there is less stress on the engine the pump work less.

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The oil pressure sensor is about to go. It's a common problem with 360s. I replaced mine at about 16K on the odo.

4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Ah ok thanks! Sounds about right since I have 18k.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    VERY common issue with the 360's. I do understand the freakout though, happened to me too

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ditto on the oil pressure sender. My '99 did the same thing. Replaced it and no more odd readings.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Question...when you did yours, did you only have a total of 1 cable that went to ground?

8. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    Same problem here..... swapped the Oil sensor at 60.000km and problem went away.

Regards,
    Joerg

9. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes I recall only one ground strap. I have heard of some owners that have 2 to insure a proper engine-chassis ground.

10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Mine runs just over 70 when cold, at 70 when warm, at the lower mark at idle. The sensor was replaced previously. My 456M was very similar.