360 or 430 (or something else) | FerrariChat

360 or 430 (or something else)

Discussion in '360/430' started by tomw, Aug 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    After a few years of driving other things due to parking issues living in central London I’m keen to get myself another Ferrari. I had a 355 from 2010-2015 and loved it - I’d always promised myself a 355 as a teenager and it’ll remain my favourite of the modern era V8s. However, I don’t think I want to buy another 355, as I always say never go back… So I’ve been looking at other things.

I was bidding on a Stradale in an auction last week, and just lost out which I spent a day kicking myself for, but the sudden prospect of (nearly) spending that much on a car has made me think again; maybe I’m better off spending half that on a regular 360 or 430.

Having been out of Ferrari circles for a few years now, I don’t know much about either model as they’ve aged so perhaps this forum can help me compile a pros/cons list of each?

My initial thoughts, based on preconceptions and/or some basic research are:

Pros:
    • Manuals are fairly easy to find and aren’t ridiculous money
    • ECU and immobiliser problems seem to be well understood now, and easily fixable
    • The rest of the car is pretty simple and doesn’t seem to have (m)any severe issues?
    • Sounds better than a 430
    Cons:
    • Older
    • Err…
    Pros:
    • Newer, more power, nicer interior etc
    • I prefer the styling over the 360
    Cons:
    • Manifolds? Are these still an issue?
    • Electronics? Eg the ECU/immobiliser issues of the 360 - are these shared by the 430?
    • Manuals are twice the price of F1 cars - I’m not totally against F1 but I would prefer a manual
    • Doesn’t sound as good as a 360

Whatever I settle on, the intention is to keep it forever, as combustion engines become increasingly antisocial and hard to use here in Europe. I’d initially set my sights on a 308, so I could buy a 1984 car the same age as me (!), but I intend to drive this thing 3-4000 miles around Europe once a year and I’m not sure a 308 is the best tool for that. With that usage in mind I’d also vaguely considered 599s (massive) and 458s (ageing electronics scare me) but I think the 360/430 is probably the sweet spot in the range.

Help!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There are a few 360 & 430 threads recently relating to purchase & common faults which will give some updated opinions but surely the fundamental answer is talk to Voicey (having also read all the recent thoughts on his site) & have him find you a nice car - problem solved

3. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    Hello

Good Problem to have. I have both in my collection, 360 gated and a 430 F1. They each scratch a different itch. As far as the cars- I prefer the 360 in manual and the 430 in F1. You really have to decide what you are going to do with this car and how it fits into your collection/ world. Best to base your search on the best car that you can afford from these and make a choice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
    Good Luck
    You can PM me with any particular questions but I am not expert - I go with my gut !!!

catdog and rampante550 like this.
  4. btshat

btshat Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Sounds to me based on your description that you actually prefer the 430, but are considering the 360 due to possible better perceived reliability. For me styling is important, which is why I went with the 430. I'd say a 430 with an aftermarket exhaust would probably fit your description, improve the sound while eliminating the most concerning reliability problem of the 430. I've had mine about 2 months now with no issues at all. I've put 1500 miles on it.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  5. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Good news is you can't go wrong with either choice! 360 gated manual would be my choice if you are okay with the interior / instrument cluster which looks dated to me.

6. beachedferrari

beachedferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mike Ferrari
    It's all a matter of opinion. I always thought the 360 looked better than a 430. I ended up getting a clutched 360. After the first few times driving it I was disappointed in the speed and "thrill" of driving it. Ended up upgrading to a 488. Sometimes I wonder if the 430 would have been more sufficient in the thrill department though. Sorry I couldn't help haha.

catdog likes this.
  7. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

It’s not that I necessarily prefer the 430, I initially thought I’d want a manual whatever I got, but I don’t think I fancy spending £150k on a manual 430; for that money I’d be back looking at Stradales. I saw a 430 Spider on the road the other night and it made me think maybe I should consider the 430 even if it means F1. I think I need to drive a F1 430. I drove a Scud years ago but I’ve never tried the regular car with the F1 box.

My perception of the 360 being easier to maintain is possibly just because of the wealth of DIY info out there now. Maybe the 430 will catch up soon there.

8. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    I think looks alone the 430 is the much prettier car. I also like the fact the car carry's homages of other famous Ferrari's, like the shark nose front, Enzo rear lights, and Testarrosa Mirrors! I think its aged much better as well. I also changed my headers (due to them apparently cracking and piece of mind) The 430 has pre-cats in the manifolds, who knew! and my god does it sound good with them removed. Its like twice as load as standard and sounds like a challenge race car, so for starting up and moving out the estate, I had remote controls put in for the valves as well. Perfect !

Don't think you can go wrong with either, both should prove, fun and depreciation free motoring so enjoy.

cole328 likes this.
  9. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Aside from styling preference, I would go 430 because the rubber and plastic parts will be significantly newer and the engine has chain driven cams. The power is also better. I used aftermarket headers and the Ferrari Sport exhaust to make the sound what I wanted. These mods also increased the power noticeably. If you want to make a 430 "high pitched", there are many exhaust options for that.

10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    With regard to maintenance the 430 is easier to maintain. One of the reasons I picked the 430 over the 360. The one difference is the F1 system does have more potential faults than a gated car. I’ve found the 430 to be a fun car to DIY over almost two years (two full service annuals in that timeframe).

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    tomw and boba fett like this.
  12. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Really tough choice. I really wanted to love the manual 360 enough to buy one. VERY fun to drive, but I just have to say if felt a tad slow. And I'm not all about speed, but I just felt I needed a bit more ooomph. I prefer the looks of the 430 but its close...close enough that looks would not be the deciding factor for me. Most non-ferrari folks would be hard pressed to tell you which one is newer without a side-by-side comparison. And although I do like the f1 system, for me at least, something is lost when you don't have a 6-speed manual. I love my superfast 2 tranny, but it is so damn complex. I love the simplicity of a manual. Not enough to convert mine, but if it ever craps out, I will think long and hard about converting.

13. lowform

lowform Karting

Feb 25, 2021
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I bought an F430 with the intent of swapping to manual. However, I'm not afraid to admit that I really enjoy the F1 trans. It's still very fun and engaging to drive.

GTuned, TroyNVie and cole328 like this.
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    As a road going car (no intentions of tracking it) I feel the 360 is the perfect choice for me. Enough usable HP, great driver input and feeling, and the looks are timeless. IMO the 430 while a nice car: the HP gains are not really adding anything but bragging rights, the timing chains are a plus but with that said the belt maintenance on the 360 is exaggerated, and the look of the car simply looks like a warmed over 360 with more angles on the exterior and minor details changed for the sake of change on the interior-- one mans opinion of course.

I drove a gated 360 but didn't like the long throws and the gated shifter-- And this is from a man that has always driven stick 911s. I decided to look for an F1 360 as the look of the 360 appealed to me more than the aesthetics of the 430. And of course your money will probably buy "more" when choosing an F1 over the significantly higher price of a gated car-- 360 or 430. The 360 F1 was my first paddle shift car--- and I love it. You owe it to yourself to drive both (with and open mind) and then decide. Forget what people will tell you, forget what the markets say, and simply find which car checks all the boxes for you.

15. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Great perspective and I agree. Its all so personal and subjective. If there was a universal "best" answer we would all be driving the same car! Its funny and fun how we are all so different. I absolutely adored the shift action in the 360 manual I drove. As in loved it! LOL!

16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    F430. Spider. F1. Was is in the same boat as you, and bought mine about two years ago. I will never sell it. Someone before me once stated, “looking at the engine through the glass rear is the stuff of legend”. I don’t know what people are saying about sound, but my 430 sounds incredible. There’s not one thing I would change about it.

That said, the obvious….Get what makes you happy Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Both are great choice. Find the cars, drive them and see which one connects with you. Done.

18. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    Love the chrome wheels, where they standard in the US ?

19. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks. Yes. Ball Polish finish. I kept the OEM stock look. Just love this car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is the only real solution isn’t it…

On a more objective note: I’ve heard a few things about the F1 gearboxes being changed slightly in later 430s to make them drive a bit better. Is this true and, if so, when was the change?

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's an update spreadsheet regularly posted which should clarify

22. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
  23. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    My perspective is very similar to KC's. I went back and forth with 360vs430, F1vsStick (knew I wanted a Spider), I went with a 360 F1 Spider and completely love it. If I had bought any of the other options (even a couple :p), I am completely sure I would have loved them also.

The only loss you'll experience, is the time spent between now, and when you purchase AND drive it, so don't delay. Life is short, and all you are doing is 'parking' some money anyways. I drive around all of the time with a smile on my face and happiness in my heart.

24. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    "parking some money"--- love it. And so true. Cars have never been an investment for me. I make money other ways and simply want to enjoy my cars as a perk from those other investments. As you alluded to, a car well maintained and kept nice always has a decent return of cash if and when you decide to sell it---- not like my GE stock! :(

Cheers, Ken

25. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Great post. I fell for an F1 360 for many of the same reasons!