360 Reverse gear sychronizer failure | FerrariChat

360 Reverse gear sychronizer failure

Discussion in '360/430' started by KLHarper, Mar 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi

I run a small shop in NC that deals with vintage Italian cars, (Mostly Alfa Romeo and Lancia), but I have been picking up more Ferrari work since the unfortunate passing of Terry Meeler.

I enjoy working on Ferrari's and know a few of the Factory guys to call on when I have an issue but sometimes I end up scratching my head and wondering what the heck is going on and I have decided to rely on the F-Chat brain trust for some ideas.
    I was doing a major service on a 1999 360 with a manual transmission when I went to change the transmission fluid and was greeted by the following on the drain magnet.
    [​IMG]
    It didn't look good and I told the customer that we have a problem, ok really he has a problem, but now to fix it.
    At first I thought it had lost a bearing, but after pulling the back to the transmission I determined that part of the reverse gear syncro had let go.

[​IMG]This picture shows one of the springs and rollers inserted with another one to the left of it just for show. [​IMG]
    And this is the ring that holds it all together, well we hope it does.
    What went wrong? Well I am not exactly sure. I am sure that someone has been into the box since it was new, and when they reassembled it they flipped the synchronizer ring around the wrong way as it ate slightly into the tail housing.
    [​IMG]
    At this point I am trying to figure out if I should try to get new springs and bearing and make sure that the Syncro ring is installed correctly and button it up, or as this is a very early 360 and Ferrari redesigned the syncro and it went from 60 to 62 mm diameter, should I go for the redesign, but this requires everything having to do with reverse gear to be replaced.

And my final big questions - Has anybody else seen this issue and is it common.

Thanks and nice to say hello
    Kevin

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Have you checked stock at the factory yet? I needed a reverse synchro about 18 months ago and the factory was out. We fixed the box by using a used one that I found in my box of gearbox parts.

3. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No, I just opened up the gearbox on Saturday and hadn't had a chance to really look for parts yet. The only thing I have done is compare the springs to a Lancia that has the same setup and the springs should interchange. The rollers look similar to one that is used on an Alfa but I haven't measured them to confirm. I figure worst case scenario that these are standardized parts and I can return it to what it had coming out to the factory.
    Tomorrow I will be on the phone to check parts availability.