360 shifter bushing repair | Page 6 | FerrariChat

360 shifter bushing repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by chrmer3, Jul 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Give me a quick call if u want I'm free. 941 445 2465

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im in China! in lock down. and you won't believe it, international calls are not allowed.
    but I get what you mean, have to attack one angle at a time, I believe
    maybe I can heat it a little bit at the outside

3. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'd be carefull with the heat.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I was thinking to just hit the center piece from the other side, because I need to replace it anyways
    But, as it is made of some sort of Nylon, I'd think it will break.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yeah I'm sure it would break too . I'm assuming you're already got the shift lever and everything out of the center. If that center piece is no good with everything removed you could just cut it out and then you can center punch that bushing out From the other side with a long punch

24000rpm likes this.
  6. CW5150

CW5150 Karting

Sep 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    David Hansen
    First off - big thanks to Chris and everyone who has contributed to this thread over the almost 15 years since it was first posted! I have 2003 360 Spider and while it was shifting fine it was starting to get a little finicky with 2nd and 6th - which led me directly to this thread. Ordered the new bush from Ricambi (always great service!) and went at it. Here are a few additional tips/tricks I discovered that may help the next person:

- I followed the YouTube version and left the unit in the car with the shift cables attached
    - Scuderia Audio has a great video on YouTube for removing the center console (they also have amazing audio gear!)
    - To remove the hollow pin that holds the reverse lock-out spring in place you need to use a small punch. I didn't have one that small but I found a set at Harbor Freight for $10 - the smallest one in that set works perfect. Tap it out from the rear of the car towards the front. Have something handy to put it in as it is very small!
    - Once you get the c-clip out and remove the spring you have to tap out the holder from the shifter side. You need to push it evenly as it is tightly fit.
    - The little black box on the end of the rod that you need to remove is little tricky. I was finally able to get it off using two small flat blade screw drivers and pushing it up
    - To re-attach the little box after replacing the bush I set it in the shift mechanism and wedged a flat piece of metal between it and the inside of the shift box (this was mentioned in a previous thread). This keeps the box flat and steady so you can tap the ball of the rod back into it. I used a taped off socket against the flat part of the rod and tapped it with a hammer and it seated perfectly
    - When re-assembling the spring behind the c-clip you have to be able to hold it together to fit the clip back in. I used a c-clamp to push it all together which gave me time and space to get the clip set properly
    - When re-installing the reverse lock-out you have to keep the shift lever up. I put a large screw driver under the cable attachment to keep it steady

I went for a drive this morning it is shifting amazing now!

SoftwareDrone and Need4Spd like this.
  7. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great to see this post still helping people!! I made this post approx 14 years ago (crazy how time passes so quickly). Glad to see more info out there now on this very common issue. Don’t put off glitches in your shifting, if this repair has never been done in the cars history- do it. It’s an easy fix and the joy you will have when running through the gears on high rpm’s will put such a smile on your face, you may need surgery to remove!!

go back to page 1 and read up- trust me when I say, difference is night & day!!

Best thing for all 6 speed owners to do, any shifting irregularities - wiggle your shifter side to side... if you have any play (wiggle) change the bushing & get back that new shifter feeling. She will shift perfectly once replaced (as long as no other issues).
    This seems to be a very very very common problem. Daniel at Ricambi (site sponsor) has the Hill part in stock. It really is an easy do it yourself fix. If anyone feels you do not want to attempt yourself- take to a local F-car mechanic & tell him you wish the bushing changed... If he says he has never done that before, well there ya go.. this is why everyone deals with screwed up shifting issues. Tell him to amuse you & change it (if you have shifter side to side play).

Chris

8. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I have been having problems engaging 1st and several other gears on fall FCA driving events so I decided to check out my bushing and see if that was the cause. Definitely side-to-side play. YES - it's cracked and also appears to be worn on the sides, so possibly the root cause.

The hill replacement part is anodized aluminum! How is the Hill replacement part working?

I realize that it's $87 at Ricambi and the Ferrari plastic part is $207 at Ferrparts. Anodized aluminum is a really poor choice and would be my last choice if not for price! Why didn't they make this out of bronze, aluminum bronze, phosphor bronze, etc., WTF? At equal cost, I might pick the plastic over aluminum.

That is not how I would do it in a space mechanism (aluminum)...

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I couldn't agree more.
    I tried the aluminum version, it didn't work for me. After having the top ring crack on the OEM plastic piece, I decided to design my own solution. I designed a stainless steel sleeve to shore up the weak top part. It's lasted for 10 years. It's not the perfect solution as it won't prevent the legs from cracking but I've never had that problem.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tonyc likes this.
  10. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Interesting to re-read this after installing the part in 2013. Still solid with no play.

1st time anyone has mentioned the Hill replacement not working.

11. richardsalvini

Nov 7, 2023
    Full Name:
    richard josph salvini
    not to change the subject but is there a parts list to convert a 2005 360 F1 to 6 speed gated?
    I love my 360 but would love it more if I could shift it using a clutch
    [email protected]